Northern Friends - what are the warmest boots for stand hunting.

Bigeight,

What socks do they recommend or what do you wear? I use to think the more the better, but have come to the conclusion a thin liner and medium sock are better with boots generally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have no idea what they recommend. I usually wear a pair of silk socks if its 30+ degrees and up. If it's colder than that, I add a pair of wool socks to the silk ones and call it good. Might be better without the wool, but I've never tried. I think you are right on track, the more socks, the less air flow and less circulation.

That's why I like those boots 1.5-2 sizes bigger than my day to day shoes. The padding in them is so thick/yet fluffy it gives a LOT of toe wiggle room and plenty of padding between the toes and the outside air. I wear a 10 shoe, and have size 12 Baffin and they feel smaller than my size 10 rubber boots that are 2,000 gram, and as easy to walk in as my early season 400 gram rubber boots. I basically only hunt from tree stands, so them feeling small like an early season boot is important to me for moving around on those small platforms when i'm all bundled up.

No idea how they compare to the others in comfort and warmth, I've basically only had the late season rubber boots before these, or the ridiculous clod hopper style pack boot when I was younger.

Well I have added them to my Christmas list. My wife is always wanting a list from me so I started making one January 1, 2017. This will be the first year she gets one from me. God, I hope it helps! Last year was a disaster!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll second the Baffins---I like mine so well I bought some for my grown children to keep in their vehicles in the winter time here in Minnesota. Got 'em at Zappos

x3 on the Baffins. Best boot made bar none. don't waste your time or money on anything else. agree with john on the external boot warmers battery operated. terrible. I am a big fan of the toe warmers. I was sticking them inside my boots, but I have been lately just sticking them to my socks. top and bottom of my toes. :)

2000 gram LaCrosse PAC boots at least 1 size larger than your shoe size with a polypropylene sock liner and a thick merino wool boot sock. Your feet won't be cold again!

I add the hand warmer full sole warmers on really cold days.

grabber-warmers.jpg

-John

So, I thought I was set as far as this topic went, but found out I was sorely wrong this morning.

Brand new muck boots, 1st wear. The supposed coldest ones they make, good down to -40 they say.
Well I know the thermometer didn't hit that this morning, an my toes were about frozen off, still a little tingly

Eveything else was good to go,

So... I need a quick fix to this problem, hoping these may do they trick? I have used the handwarmers in the past, an tried putting them in my boots before. But they never seemed to help at all. Thought they may need oxygen for the chemical reaction to occur.

So... how r the ones made to fit inside the boot in comparison?

Make sure your feet don’t sweat, and you wear a decent pair of moisture wicking socks. I usually wear one pair of smart wool socks. Those heated insoles can help with warming your feet, but if your feet sweat with them, it will just make it worse. I have used the Thermacell battery operated liners, and if you use them as designed, they work well. Just know, they are not designed to warm your feet, they are made to keep your feet warm. Typically when I use the Thermacell foot warmers I don’t turn them on until my feet have cooled off from the walk to my stand, and before they get cold. Then I turn them on. They forsure Work when you know their design, and how to use them. Are they worth the money? Depends on how much you like to sit on cold days.

The main thing is to keep your feet from sweating, and use good moisture wicking socks, that aren’t tight on your feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 gram LaCrosse PAC boots at least 1 size larger than your shoe size with a polypropylene sock liner and a thick merino wool boot sock. Your feet won't be cold again!

The polyprop sock liner is great advice to help keep the moisture away from your skin from any walking prior to any long sits. I wear a pair for all winter activities and also for any long days with many miles during bird hunting even when it's not cold out. Keeping your feet dry and comfortable really keeps the chance of blisters from happening when its warm and freezing when its cold.

Try some unscented antiperspirant on your feet to help with sweating.

Years ago we used Mickey Mouse boots. I still have a pair. I’m not a Northern Hunter but in those days we hunted in Missouri where Mark Twain Lake is, before it was a lake site. It was Plenty cold enough for me but those Mickey Mouse boots stay remarkably warm, especially if you throw in a hand warmer.