North side hills during winter

gunther89

5 year old buck +
In our area, deer seem to prefer to bed on a north long drawn out side hill. Our land has a south side hill that gets used some but not nearly as much as our neighbors north side hill. Both woods are roughly the same type of hardwoods. We have roughly 4-5 acres of standing crops which I would think would encourage the deer to use our side hill more.
Has anyone else seen this happen on there land or does anyone have a theory as to why this happens?

My theory would be the possibility of less pressure from human (or canine) activity on the other side of the hill. The fact that you have standing crops probably means a lot of human presence at times (hunting, checking cameras, taking pictures, etc), and it might be enough to push them to the other side. Deer generally prefer to bed on a southern slope in the winter so that they can move into a sunny spot if they desire, but security is even more important. Since you say both sides have similar types of cover/terrain, I'm guessing that some type of human disturbance may be the cause. What about roaming dogs...would the two sides of the hill be similar in that regard?

Last edited:
We had roaming dogs for about 2 days during November otherwise we never see any dogs on our property. Yes we do check cameras every 2 weeks roughly and during summer we have food plots that we are planting. I know the neighbor has his cattle roam his property. I've thought about pressure but I didn't think we put THAT much pressure on our land. I could be wrong though.

Yea, that puzzles me. I've been around cattle a lot, and as a general rule, deer don't like to bed where cattle run.