New this year - Missouri landowner Registration

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
Don’t know if I missed this earlier or if it’s the first official notice. For all of you Missouri guys we have to now register as landowners in the state of Missouri to qualify for landowner permits. I don’t know why they can’t just link to each counties tax records or if it’s more related to households. I guess it’s a case of enough people skirting the rules and making false landowner claims for free permits. While I don’t mind doing it it’s also a little ridiculous that there’s one more bit of red tape for those that follow the rules to try and prevent the rule breakers from cheating. Maybe there s’more to it than that. In any case, here’s the info from MDC.

https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/permits/qualifications-landowner-permits

Crack down on people with 5 acres and 10 kids hunting everywhere but their 5 acres for free. Technically you can only use a free permit on owned land. Must have 20 acres min for free tags going forward. That will generate new revenues.

The plus for some of us is they reinstated lower cost permits for nonresident land owners.

Oh and I believe they announced it in the fall but just made it official.

Well I certainly don’t mind doing it. I guess I just get frustrated when people don’t follow the rules. Glad they’re lowering non resident fees. To me a landowner is a landowner. Your taxes are just as useful as mine. Non resident landowners have been charged pretty heavily over the years.

I never minded paying more as nonresident for anything but doe tags. Haven’t needed to lately but it can get expensive when you thin them out..

I registered. I only hunt my own land there, so I'll probably take advantage of the cheaper non-resident landowner tags. I own 3 tracts. One is 211, one is 160 and not attached to the 211. I am buying a third -- 19 acres. It is attached to the 211, giving me 230 contiguous. Wonder how that will work hunting the 19 acre tract? If I hunt it, will I need a normal license? Have to call the Agent and see, I guess.

If its attached you shouldn’t have any problems. CO’s have up to date plat maps.

If its attached you shouldn’t have any problems. CO’s have up to date plat maps.
I would hope, but there are 2 separate deeds and one is 19 ac. Definitely will check, most years never hunt in there except for turkeys.

I would hope, but there are 2 separate deeds and one is 19 ac. Definitely will check, most years never hunt in there except for turkeys.
From the way I read the rules you are fine if your 19 is attached to the rest. If it were standalone it would be different, but since it’s contiguous it’s good go - even if is on a different deed or in a different county (meaning the 19 lies is in a different county than the rest of the contiguous land)

I personally don’t have any issue with the registering of my land to verify size and ownership. I always scratched my head when I could walk in to the sporting goods store, tell them the county and acres and boom I had free permit. No real checks and balances there and I know the system has been abused blatantly for years.

What is the NR landowner price on deer and turk tags now?

I live on 11 acres and occasionally hunt it. Farms in a separate county.. So kinda stinks. But in all reality for what MDC does for private land owners I dont mind paying a few bucks for tags

I never minded paying more as nonresident for anything but doe tags. Haven’t needed to lately but it can get expensive when you thin them out..
Just holler if you need a local Mo boy to thin a few doe's out for ya;) My kids would gobble those corn fed doe's up! Will work for fat slick heads HAHA

Just holler if you need a local Mo boy to thin a few doe's out for ya;) My kids would gobble those corn fed doe's up! Will work for fat slick heads HAHA

When they get out of hand again you may regret that statement. It’s a 3 hour drive. Not many I’d trust locally, but you’re on the short list.

How much is a reduced price nonresident landowner deer tag?

When they get out of hand again you may regret that statement. It’s a 3 hour drive. Not many I’d trust locally, but you’re on the short list.
Haha thanks Bill I appreciate the vote of confidence! Holler at me any time! Love shooting slick heads:)

How much is a reduced price nonresident landowner deer tag?

NR proposed 2020 cost is $265
NR landowner with 75+ continuous acres proposed 2020 cost is $195

I’ve never seen MDC make an official proposal that was shot down.

NR proposed 2020 cost is $265
NR landowner with 75+ continuous acres proposed 2020 cost is $195

I’ve never seen MDC make an official proposal that was shot down.

$195 beats the alternative but a far cry from the $75 NR fee when I first bought in MO. It used to cost at total $225.00 per year to for bow, rifle, and turkey birds. That jumped to $640 when they dumped the NR landowner tags. Oh well, glad to see them coming back.

$195 beats the alternative but a far cry from the $75 NR fee when I first bought in MO. It used to cost at total $225.00 per year to for bow, rifle, and turkey birds. That jumped to $640 when they dumped the NR landowner tags. Oh well, glad to see them coming back.

The sad part is unless they changed the fines it’s now cheaper to pay the fine for hunting without a license than to buy a non land owner out of state license.

Haven’t researched that yet.

Non-residents -- the root of all evil!

I am a Missouri resident and have a little 40-acre place I hunt with my kids. I really wish we would stop this resident/non-resident war. Reality is most non-resident hunters are just folks coming home to hunt that moved across a river or some arbitrary line on a map to make their ends meet. Most hunting land is rural. Most jobs are not rural. All we are doing is keeping sons, grandsons, uncles, etc. from hunting, which in my opinion is leading to the quicker demise of our hunting heritage and culture. The number of licensed hunters in America is declining each year. Asking someone to drop near $600 bucks to take Jr hunting to maybe see a deer on Grandad's 40-acres? Its no wonder. Unintended consequences. Now most of us spent at least a hundred grand of discretionary income because we like to hunt. We don't represent in numbers a very large slice of the hunters out there. Anyways, thanks for the link, I better go register.

Glad to see this thread...thanks Someday for posting the link. Just registered our family and it was painless. Always wondered why there was no verification of landownership before to keep people honest.