New plot, disc or not?

BobinCt

5 year old buck +
A farmer used this 1/2 acre field years ago for Timothy hay. He prob hasn't used it in 8 years. I soil tested on it and came back at a shocking 6.3. I already added the little lime it needed. I also sprayed it with Gly 2 weeks ago. I went there today and brush hogged it down. However, there is prob 3/4 inches of of dead thatch/hay/grasses all burnt up now from the Gly. I planned on making this into a clover & chicory perennial plot with Oats a cover crop. My concern now is getting good seed to soil contact through the thatch. I def don't see Oats germinating by broadcasting into the dead thatch. Just too big of a seed. My mind is telling me to have the farmer disc it up, wait 2 weeks , spray the weeds that have grown then plant when a good rain comes. Any input would be great.

Broadcast clover right before a rain. The seed will find its way through that thatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with a good rain clover seed will find dirt. But I wouldn't plant clover now. Mother natures getting ready to turn the heat up and get dry. At least in my parts of the world. Maybe in CT it stays cool enough?

I agree - clover seed is small. Chicory seed is bigger, but broadcast and let the rain do it's thing. The thatch will help retain soil moisture for you. Discing is just going to bring up more seed to germinate and kill. If your set on spreading the oats.....is burning the thatch off a possibility? That would get you the dare dirt it sounds like you desire.

Thx guys. No disc. Def not planting now. I need to wait til August. I'll spray one more time toward end of month then I'll plant before a good rain. J-Bird, I can't burn cuz it's his property. I don't want to get too crazy. I'm just lucky I can hunt and he's giving me 5 acres to plant. Don't wana push it.

Thx guys. No disc. Def not planting now. I need to wait til August. I'll spray one more time toward end of month then I'll plant before a good rain. J-Bird, I can't burn cuz it's his property. I don't want to get too crazy. I'm just lucky I can hunt and he's giving me 5 acres to plant. Don't wana push it.
burning thatch is just a great way to get rid of it - IF that is what you want AND something you can do. I totally get not burning if you can't or are not comfortable doing so.....just a suggestion. There is more than one way to skin a cat as they say!