All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New pipeline food plot plan.... throw and mow maybe?

alldaysit

5 year old buck +
Hey guys. I need to run a new plan past you. I am purchasing some new property and close Friday. The new property has a half mile of pipeline on it which I feel will make an excellent food plot. It runs east and west. My current plan is to spread the seed spray waited day and then mow. I can then run a cultipacker over the mowed area.

Obviously I need to soil test but I can safely spread 2000lbs of lime per acre in my area on "new" ground. I have had a hard time just getting the ph up over several years on my other plots.

I also have a lime spreader. I can spread lime, seed, spray, mow, roll.

Does that sound like a good plan? Thanks Luke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's growing now and how high/thick is it? I'd probably skip the mowing. Spread lime, seed, spray, and then roll.

Does spraying on seed ever hurt them? I have wondered about that since I got into plotting. Because of my fear, whether based on fact or not, I would spray, spread, and then roll but that's just me. I'm curious what others think about having Gly hit seeds. I'm guessing it is a non-issue.

Does spraying on seed ever hurt them? I have wondered about that since I got into plotting. Because of my fear, whether based on fact or not, I would spray, spread, and then roll but that's just me. I'm curious what others think about having Gly hit seeds. I'm guessing it is a non-issue.
I broadcast, roll and spray with no problem.

Hey guys. I need to run a new plan past you. I am purchasing some new property and close Friday. The new property has a half mile of pipeline on it which I feel will make an excellent food plot. It runs east and west. My current plan is to spread the seed spray waited day and then mow. I can then run a cultipacker over the mowed area.

Obviously I need to soil test but I can safely spread 2000lbs of lime per acre in my area on "new" ground. I have had a hard time just getting the ph up over several years on my other plots.

I also have a lime spreader. I can spread lime, seed, spray, mow, roll.

Does that sound like a good plan? Thanks Luke

Sounds like a good plan.

What's growing now and how high/thick is it? I'd probably skip the mowing. Spread lime, seed, spray, and then roll.

Oh it's a jungle. It gets "maintained" by the pipeline in the spring apparently when they run through it with a tracked skid steer and brush mower. But they only seem to do one pass.

Got the pipeline cut mostly except for a few wet spots:

3b30dc6574e82f6a980e963045cb25f2.jpg

Then got the tractor stuck and pulled it out with the can-am:

8ca67a2b49e32fb21aba2acb24148446.jpg

Then my little brother decided to "just send it" and he got the can-am buried and we pulled it out with the tractor.

fb9d01a3405282a39f2edc91c32ecce1.jpg

95e56f0282add4cd06e5aaa8892853e6.jpg

4a4710729a582331ef4ceb83fce34b22.jpg

Tomorrow is seeding, spreading, spraying, rolling, dragging. Can't wait. I'll update with some pictures tomorrow as well.

I pictured it being much wider than that. What are you planting?

I pictured it being much wider than that. What are you planting?

I'm thinking oats, rye and clover. I might sprinkle some extra soybeans I have in there as well. I'll update today with some new pictures.

Would it work if it wasn't rolled or mowed? What if you sprayed, let die for a week or two and then seeded? Would the dying weeds cover the seed enough as they fell over?

If you can, I would go along and trim up/cut down the trees along the edge to get some more sun in there. Otherwise I think your plan will work just fine.

I had thoughts about suggesting some sun side cutting as well, but I didn't want to get you working harder, but thinking more, how bout two fold thought, cutting to provide more sun, and cover along the plot. it will also create a bit more texture along the plot with cover, getaways, and overall seem less un natural. create a few tangles via hinge cut, fall a fifty foot wide swath 90 degrees away from the plot, fifrty feet on either side of that, fall the trees towards the first section. Leave 100 feet standing, and make another 150 foot tangle. work on down the line creating cover and allowing more sun to the plot.