New Garage

It was a shame to knock down some of them big white pines, but I am planning on using them in my house when I build, for stairs, and a log support beam for a balcony.

I haven't made any updates lately, but I will in another week. I have the cement work finally completed, and I will be building walls hopefully this weekend, then to order trusses. I will update after that.

Morton Guy coming out in the AM. Had another builder price a shop. 40x60x12 with 5” concrete. Gutters and also the thin insulation throughout. $47900.

just outta curiosity, why the 5" concrete? Seems like your concrete tab is a big chunk of this, and 4" should be enough to suffice unless you're gonna be running loaded dump trucks across it. At our shop we drive loaded 4000 gallon tanker straight trucks across aprons and into the shop and we're fine

Just did my driveway at my house and did about 7000 sq ft of concrete at 4". Should be more than enough.

If you're looking for a place to cut some cost, I'd say an inch of concrete wouldn't be the death of the deal

On a 40x60 slab, concrete is about $900 per inch.

On a 40x60 slab, concrete is about $900 per inch.

I thought he said his concrete bill was over $13,000

Still not a huge savings, but it's something.

my 4" thick was $3.00 sq ft and that was about 5% lower than a couple of my other bids

I thought he said his concrete bill was over $13,000

Still not a huge savings, but it's something.

my 4" thick was $3.00 sq ft and that was about 5% lower than a couple of my other bids

I was only referring to the concrete itself, and not labor.

I have a few spare minutes, so I figured I would add a few pictures.
To start with here is the prepped site, with 40x50 forms set up.

584DEA1B-16B4-4991-934F-DCE22EB80060.jpeg

Then we have insulation, floor drains, plumbing and radiant floor heating going in.

952B4279-C5B0-4A3C-8485-C223C4BB8541.jpeg

Then rebar.

D307CAD8-ECA5-452B-B0B9-CDB13D590608.jpeg

Concrete finished.

DC4AFB21-713A-4F76-8DBC-52BC95F2DE46.jpeg22A8BB17-1542-4785-8680-D527C34C380E.jpeg

Then the ICF Logix blocks. A7667234-F304-40E9-B769-37C655CBDD08.jpeg

A76B8173-541D-45AA-AD16-2B211F707C0D.jpeg

59F71F2A-850F-4585-A8E5-F8F0A4CAFE41.jpeg

BD762357-6624-40F7-B7F8-0CBB035409E7.jpeg

And finally the ICF blocks are filled with concrete.

03311A6A-E9A8-4824-9EAF-C86FEA50CBC7.jpeg

The walls should be going up this weekend, and the trusses will be ordered.

I was only referring to the concrete itself, and not labor.

just out of curiosity..

Do the edges of the concrete floor have footers below the sections of the ICF?

are the "basement" ICF blocks atop the pex/radiant flooring? I thought that was a NO/NO that you couldn't or shouldn't put radiant heat under the foundation walls. I am probably TOTALLY wrong, but I remember helping my buddy who is a mason and he said that. I hope it's no big deal.

looks great but I had to ask.

There is a 20 inch footing, this is basically a floating slab. I couldn’t dig down because the water table was to high. The pex doesn’t go below the footings, or the ICF blocks. I will also be putting foam boards down horizontally around the exterior of the slab so Frost won’t get under the slab.

That radiant floor heat in really nice to have. Nothing like a warm floor in the winter.

Looks great! I plan to do something similar in the future. Since we're not too far from each other I might PM you to find out who your contractor was or where you picked up the ICF's. Since the pictures don't show everything I was just curious how the outside edge of the slab is insulated..does foam go vertically on the outside below the ICF or was there a vertical foam thermal break between the slab and footing?

Looks great! I plan to do something similar in the future. Since we're not too far from each other I might PM you to find out who your contractor was or where you picked up the ICF's. Since the pictures don't show everything I was just curious how the outside edge of the slab is insulated..does foam go vertically on the outside below the ICF or was there a vertical foam thermal break between the slab and footing?

There will be foam glued to the outside of the slab to keep the cold from the slab. Then there will be 4x8 sheets of foam laid down flat all around the outside of it, then covered with dirt. That will prevent frost from being able to get under the slab. The Logix blocks are very sturdy, and I highly recommend them.

just out of curiosity..

Do the edges of the concrete floor have footers below the sections of the ICF?

are the "basement" ICF blocks atop the pex/radiant flooring? I thought that was a NO/NO that you couldn't or shouldn't put radiant heat under the foundation walls. I am probably TOTALLY wrong, but I remember helping my buddy who is a mason and he said that. I hope it's no big deal.

looks great but I had to ask.

I did mine a little different. I ran the ICF blocks 4 feet high from the slab, then I am going to build 10 foot tall 2x6 walls on top of the 4 foot ICF blocks, for a total of 14 foot tall interior walls. My reasoning is we get deep snow, and I didn’t want wood below the snow line. So instead of doing brick, and building on top of the brick, I used ICF, that is already insulated, and will help keep the radiant floors warmer. It wasn’t the cheapest route that is for sure. But I originally was going to go with ICF blocks to the rafters, so 14 feet of them, but the extra $12,000 to do it that way wasn’t in the budget for a garage. I am really considering it though for the house.

Looks good guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did you end up trucking in any sugar sand? are is that the type of soil that is up there. The only thing I would have done different if possible was to raise the grade a bit. But, i don't know if that is even possible. I might have dumped more sand, if possible.

sweet looking build by the way. I can see the pex connections in the one pic that shows where the ICF is finally. Pic are always a little deceiving. Really nice project and very well done.

They said they hauled in 276 yards of fill in order to make it level without digging down. The fill looks to be sand/clay.

They said they hauled in 276 yards of fill in order to make it level without digging down. The fill looks to be sand/clay.
wow thats about 20 trucks give or take my math. I think the pics are a little deceiving on grade. thats plenty of fill.

There is about 3 feet of fill in the right front corner, and at least a foot in all other spots. I was a little surprised by the amount of fill they said they hauled in as well. More then 2x what the estimate was. I think they lost count and came out a little higher then what was used.

Well we worked our butts off, but didn’t quite reach my goal of having it framed and sheeted this past weekend. We still have the front wall. But a couple more hours and it will be ready for trusses.

DAC611CA-3CED-4BF9-BB0A-1AA680452B91.jpeg

7626A39B-4A22-4C01-8C24-D8A4533099D6.jpeg

D9D92DBE-0085-4201-AE19-81829F5AB63E.jpeg94538337-EC57-4ECF-AB8D-4DAC8EEDADBF.jpeg

I tell you, I am sore!