All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Cider Barn

Maya

5 year old buck +
We just got started on my new cider barn. 16X30' post & beam. It will be used to make cider, store tools for the orchards and also be our roadside stand.

It actually started last fall when we tore down an old mobile home I rented out to the tenants from hell! There is a full cellar that fit the mobile home, so we are overhanging the back 4' and will have a small dock at the barn door end. Here's a few pics of the start of the build...........

DSCN3598.JPG

love the orchard in the background.
Good start. How do you access the basement. From the outside somewhere?

love the orchard in the background.
Good start. How do you access the basement. From the outside somewhere?
We are building a trap door and dumb waiter from the dock. There was a bulkhead in the back, but that will probably not be used. Maybe put the dumb waiter there, we'll see.

Awesome George!!!! I still need to take a road trip and come see your place. I just might do that some day if you are around

Anytime!

Oh I might be persuaded. :emoji_thumbsup:

Nice Maya, thats cool!!!

Great start, Maya. Post & beam construction ?? COOL !!! That building will stand for years. Cellar will come in handy for cold storage of apples, sweet cider, & HARD CIDER ?? It'll be a great home base for roadside sales in the fall. Thanks for posting the pix. Keep us nosey, envious droolers up to speed with pix !!

Looking good George

I have to admit I am drinking a case of hard cider with cardamon and fennel. Really good
I could see cardamon, but fennel? I think of venni sausage when I think of fennel. I'd have to try that I guess.

We got a couple walls up yesterday. I'll get some pics.

It's not a strong flavor but just adds something g to the overall flavor. Better hurry down I might be done with that case in a week lol. I still get a bit of cloud in bottom of bottle from the residual yeast and sugar but it's a very clear cider too. Yummy

Got a couple walls up and doors framed yesterday. Looks like today will be a washout.

DSCN3655.JPG DSCN3658.JPG

This will be a dock for loading apples and sprayer. Big barn door on this end.

DSCN3659.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3659.JPG
    DSCN3659.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 9
It's not a strong flavor but just adds something g to the overall flavor. Better hurry down I might be done with that case in a week lol. I still get a bit of cloud in bottom of bottle from the residual yeast and sugar but it's a very clear cider too. Yummy

Sweet? Sounds like something good to go w/ apples and cheese for Happy Hour!