Need some pruning opinions.

Apple Junkie

5 year old buck +
I don’t usually struggle with pruning decisions, but this one has me scratching my head. This is a Frostbite I planted last year. It was headed, with the short stub you see on the left, left on. This past summer, the stub threw off a vertical “leader”, along with a stronger “leader” that angles off to the right lower down the trunk. I don’t like the sharp crook of the “stub leader”, because I worry about its long-term viability. I don’t like the “right leader” because I am concerned about forming poorly balanced tree from the outset. Something has to give… opinions welcome!

0212201310.jpg

Take off the stub it will equal out as time goes on , heavy growth last season might be too much vigor , cut back on the fertility maybe ? We like to see 12 in to 18 max growth each year hard to tell by a photo though

If you want to straighten the tree you could put in a three quarter inch 10 foot conduit within two inches of the trunk and tie the tree , new leader to that couple years tree will be straight

Last edited:
Have to get rid of the long right leader or make it into the new central leader and remove the crooked leader. Your choice. As the the crooked leader grows the crook part will grow in.
Also, when trying rto solve a problem like this it is a good idea to document (video or picture) what it looks like and what your pruning choice is. Follow the tree's recovers for a few years with pictures and/or video. You will learn a lot about how a tree grows and recovers.

Have to get rid of the long right leader or make it into the new central leader and remove the crooked leader.
I'd remove the crooked leader and make the long right one the new leader.

OK... out come the pruners, and off comes the crooked leader! Thanks for the good advice guys. I am going to cut back the new central leader and see if I can get it heading back over the main trunk one way or another. As the Prof. suggested, I do plan to take pics so I can see how this tree responds. Thanks again.

Thanks for the suggestions offered guys. To close the loop on the actual implementation, you can see by the attached pics I did cut the stub, and temporary “staked” the larger offshoot to become the central leader. When the ground thaws, I’ll drive metal stake to tie the tree/leader upright. Thanks again for the input.

Attachments

• 2020 02-05 two central leaders.jpg
    2020 02-05 two central leaders.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 2020 02-24 after prune for central leader.jpg
    2020 02-24 after prune for central leader.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 44
How often do you guys recommend pruning 5+ year old trees? Every year is very time consuming, and it is getting harder to reach more then half way up the trees. I had been trimming every other year, with light clean up every year of water sprouts. But I am wondering if I can start letting them go longer? They are pretty much for wildlife, but I do pick some off during the year to eat. For the most part they are pretty well trained trees now.

Thanks for the suggestions offered guys. To close the loop on the actual implementation, you can see by the attached pics I did cut the stub, and temporary “staked” the larger offshoot to become the central leader. When the ground thaws, I’ll drive metal stake to tie the tree/leader upright. Thanks again for the input.

What you did is what I would have done... LOL right down to the using the pink marker ribbon to pull it over. I always wanted to buy some super long fiberglass stakes for just this situation. I have seen conduit used as you can get a 10' stick pretty cheap. I Really do like using the ribbon, double wrap - keep it wide dont go all the way around the tree itself just the stake and the tree and if I dont get back to it after a season or two it just breaks.

I've been trying to score above bud sites to promote lateral branching - this year will tell how well that has worked. I want to try the trunk drill hole and scion graft method this spring as well on a tree to see If I can get a scion to grow as a branch where this is no hope of one.

Apple trees are boring if they are perfectly straight anyways.... a bend or two adds character!

How often do you guys recommend pruning 5+ year old trees? Every year is very time consuming, and it is getting harder to reach more then half way up the trees. I had been trimming every other year, with light clean up every year of water sprouts. But I am wondering if I can start letting them go longer? They are pretty much for wildlife, but I do pick some off during the year to eat. For the most part they are pretty well trained trees now.
I've got 10 year old trees and haven't missed a year of thinning them out. But these are my backyard trees (pampered). They would be a thick bush without me and my tools. Ah yes, quality time on the ladder! Pacing yourself is the key. Get one on Saturday, one on Sunday...
We're about to go on Daylight savings time giving me an extra hour of light in the evening. They must be pruned before the dormant oil goes on them when night time temps stay above freezing.

For wildlife trees once they get to tall I just try and keep the middle opened up so light can get in and cut any bad crossed limbs growing in. I'm not near as fussy on them as smaller trees with a lot of growing to do.