Need mix for annual plot screen

j-bird

I am working on my seed order and I am looking into expanding screens. My intent is to install MG screens over time, but I am interested in creating annual screens in the meantime. What do you all use? Seed, varieties, mix rates.... How wide do they need to be to be effective? I have a low deer density with lots of ag around so I doubt I see significant deer browsing (I can plant 1/4 acre ag soybean plots and leave them unprotected and they still produce pods). These screens are simply to screen my access and to break up plots. I am currently looking at maybe some pearl millet, sorghum(s) and sunflower(s). I have looked at the commercial mixes and just like their fancy food plot seed, seem to be way over priced.

This is a Sorghum Sudan Grass Hybrid mix I planted a few years ago. 10’ tall about 8 feet wide. It lasted into December. Heavy rain storms knocked it back/down a little but it bounced back. I planted it on June 1st 2015, this pic was taken Aug. 23, 2015. At planting I fertilized with triple 10, then urea about 4 weeks later. Plant in full sun.

ca263de52d6370b035f6fb2d0670c473.jpg

I did a mix of sunflowers, EW, and field corn this year. Very little corn, very little sunflowers, mostly EW. My thought was the sunflowers and corn would help support the EW. It was the laziest effort I've ever put into a screen. I hit it with some Urea when it was waist high. To my surprise it has been the best screen I've ever planted. 10 foot tall and lush

I wouldn’t be using anything that a deer will browse on if the screen is used for access. The last thing you want is deer in an area where you will be walking.

This is a Sorghum Sudan Grass Hybrid mix I planted a few years ago. 10’ tall about 8 feet wide. It lasted into December. Heavy rain storms knocked it back/down a little but it bounced back. I planted it on June 1st 2015, this pic was taken Aug. 23, 2015. At planting I fertilized with triple 10, then urea about 4 weeks later. Plant in full sun.

ca263de52d6370b035f6fb2d0670c473.jpg
That looks like it would do the trick!

I wouldn’t be using anything that a deer will browse on if the screen is used for access. The last thing you want is deer in an area where you will be walking.
I am trying to avoid the typical deer food stuff. I won't add corn or soybeans (many upland bird mixes I looked at contain soybeans). My thinking is more along the line of other members of the grass family. I have lots of food and few deer so the deer should have plenty of better/safer options for food as well.

https://www.whitetailinstitute.com/conceal/

Thinking of buying it myself, haven't yet,. but for next year I think I will.
I looked at this and some of the other fancy bag mixes. Most either seem to be about twice the price if I was to just by the seed myself OR they contain something that I fear may draw deer to it. Not saying this is a bad product....but if I can get a bag of pearl millet and tall sorghum from a local co-op I think I will be money ahead and still be in good shape. But that is why I am asking what others have done before....

Northwood Whitetails Plot Screen. Call JohnKomp

Attachments

• 59237F67-5FE7-4C7D-969F-6CB87782EA12.jpeg
    59237F67-5FE7-4C7D-969F-6CB87782EA12.jpeg
    758.7 KB · Views: 24
I have used a mix of red top plus bmr forage sorhgum, milo, sunflowers, and pearl millet with good success. Different height seeds give it good structure, needs lots of nitrogen. Mine gets 10'-12' tall.