Need Help Identifying...

Lot2Learn

5 year old buck +
While pruning today I noticed this disfigurement in an otherwise healthy 4th leaf Winecrisp tree.

What is it and what should I do?

IMG_1731_zpsjbhposd5.jpg

Looks like damage from Sap Suckers {the bird).

Looks like sap sucker birds

X3 on sapsuckers. Holes almost neatly lined up in rows.

I would have never guessed, but a quick google search confirms your diagnosis….thanks.

Now, what to do? Recommendations on the web include putting shiny objects in the tree, stationing and owl decoy nearby, and covering the area (burlap during April/May and Sept/Oct).

Any other ideas?

I would think if they have just singled out that one spot on your tree to cover it with something. I wonder if something like Tanglefoot would deter them?

I would have never guessed, but a quick google search confirms your diagnosis….thanks.

Now, what to do? Recommendations on the web include putting shiny objects in the tree, stationing and owl decoy nearby, and covering the area (burlap during April/May and Sept/Oct).

Any other ideas?
I wouldn't worry about it. I had the same issue happen 2 years ago and the tree is fine. Just be ready to cut all the suckers that will grow from the area. Only one tree one time. I nearly crapped when I saw it but it was no issue

Cheap rubber snake hung in the tree near the spot ??

All of my old native tree are covered from top to bottom with this. It doesn't seem to bother the trees any.

All of my old native tree are covered from top to bottom with this. It doesn't seem to bother the trees any.
Your native fruit trees are covered like this?

With the time and materials I had, I criss-crossed some window screening around the affected area.

I think that'll stop him in that area, but I guess the question is will he pick another spot in this tree, pick one of my other fruit trees, or act sensibly and enjoy one of the many pine trees in the area.

I'll probably add some of the suggested deterrents to this tree as well when I'm next at the cabin.

Thanks for all your help, L2L
IMG_1733_zpsjz9tjxih.jpg