Need advice on fall planted rye plot going to seed

willy

5 year old buck +
My friend planted rye last fall and is going to let it go to seed. He asked me if he could just mow it down in August and it would reseed itself. I said it might but I would heavily overseed rye over the standing dead rye and then mow it down and hope for rain.

Is that a good plan? He just want to have rye there again. Is there anything else that might be good for him to add to the broadcast seed. I was thinking berseem clover or radishes.

Thanks for pondering.

If the Rye was planted at even an average rate the new mature rye will produce a tremendous amount more seed than what a normal planting rate is. This isnt a problem if you are just wanting a rye plot in the fall. Just mow it off when you would usually seed it and walk away. The rye will be so thick that anything else would have a hard time growing with it. I'm not saying don't plant anything else with it just don't expect much other than rye growing this season. Clover would be a good companion and with a mowing again next year after the rye has matured he should have a good clover/rye stand.

I just roll mine with a lawn roller in mid July or August and plenty comes back. You can over seed again in early September but you will get lots of seed from what is growing.

Chuck

Thank you both for your advice. I will relay that to my buddy.

Kinda in the same situation
20190625_151858.jpg
Mix of WW/rye/clover, about up to my chin.
Hate to mow it down at the moment cause the pheasants are nesting in it an fawns are hiding in it.

So current plan to is just to let it mature an broadcast brasicas into it around aug 1.
No roll or mow, maybe spray, and just try to time a rain,
dont want a ton of volunteer rye/ww. Some is fine.

Hope is the standing grains thin an let the brasicas come up an do there thing creating a mini jungle of stuff.

Anyone have experiance with this that can suggest otherwise or prevent me from wasting time?

View attachment 24814
Hate to mow it down at the moment cause the pheasants are nesting in it an fawns are hiding in it.

So current plan to is just to let it mature an broadcast brasicas into it around aug 1.

Hope is the standing grains thin an let the brasicas come up an do there thing creating a mini jungle of stuff.

Anyone have experience with this that can suggest otherwise or prevent me from wasting time?

I think you will have a hard time getting the brassica to germinate with the standing WR & clover. Not enough light. When I have tried to over seed brassicas into clover, have had limited success.

I just sprayed my WR & clover plots last weekend. I try and get my brassicas seeded my July 1 if I hope to get any mass on the bulbs.

One benefit to being as far south as I am, fawns are barely hitting the ground when it’s time to terminate the rye. This time of year, plots are above waist high sun hemp, cowpeas, and sunflowers.
Seed lays on the ground too long here to rely on it to reseed itself. Or, it seems too early in mid summer and can’t take the 110° heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 24814

Anyone have experiance with this that can suggest otherwise or prevent me from wasting time?

thats gorgeous

i would kill to have that plot

bill

View attachment 24814

I'll roll it down here in a week or so after braodcasting my brassicas into it, then spray it with gly, I usually shoot for the 4th of July for my brassica planting.

July 3rd last year

1w17yyg.jpg

TOiHp6q.jpg

July 30th.

JRSUfba.jpg

thats gorgeous

i would kill to have that plot

bill

Thz, but it has its blemishes.
Still trying to work out a solution for canada thistle. Spot spraying works the best but is a giant pain in the a$$. At this point I've kinda just learned to live it. Still trying to find the right plant combination.

Scott?
Think if I flip over a spike toothed drag once the rye matures an added a few tires or something for weight, that it would be enough to "roll" the rye?
Like the idea of planting around the 15th of july regardless of rain cause my early fall schedule is maxed out.

Thz, but it has its blemishes.
Still trying to work out a solution for canada thistle. Spot spraying works the best but is a giant pain in the a$$. At this point I've kinda just learned to live it. Still trying to find the right plant combination.

Scott?
Think if I flip over a spike toothed drag once the rye matures an added a few tires or something for weight, that it would be enough to "roll" the rye?
Like the idea of planting around the 15th of july regardless of rain cause my early fall schedule is maxed out.
It could work, I've rolled it down with the tires on my quad before by splitting the plot in half and just moving over one tire width going each way, takes alittle longer but it works.

Mowing vs rolling, is one way better than the other?

Mowing vs rolling, is one way better than the other?

Booth will work, you can also use your FEL to knock it down and terminate.

I should have been more clear. Is one way more beneficial than the other?

I'd personally roll. Thus the reason I am building a crimper. Mowing doesn't create a "mat" to suppress weeds. It does make some thatch but it is never going to be as even or dense as it will rolling it down. In addition to that, the thatch will also decompose over a longer period of time making nutrients available for a longer period of time as well.

I'd personally roll. Thus the reason I am building a crimper. Mowing doesn't create a "mat" to suppress weeds. It does make some thatch but it is never going to be as even or dense as it will rolling it down. In addition to that, the thatch will also decompose over a longer period of time making nutrients available for a longer period of time as well.

How do you plan to do the complex bends for that crimper? I’d love a crimper, but those prices give me a heart attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will be no complex bends. This thing is going to be built as cheep and fast as possible. The T posts will be welded on horizontally. I am going to have them spaced at about 2" intervals to reduce the "thumping" as it rolls. Will build a tray on top of the roller for adding weight.

I’m not mowing, rolling or nothing. I figure the rye may offer a bit of shade soon as we get hot and dry.

59E7DAB5-8619-4C97-ADA9-F46D7FFB5328.jpeg447D9779-4AF2-453B-8D75-D480C0F9F3B2.jpeg