Buckman Crab
Big Lou Crab
Sweet November Crab
Malus Pear
Candy Crab
Ruby Rush Apple
Atago Pear
Galarina Apple
All of these are growing like weeds and look very clean and healthy.
I bought Ed's Crazy crab, Turning Point, Roadkill crab, Buckman crab, and Sweet November crab from Blue Hill Nursery for camp. All are planted & too young to fruit yet, but all seem clean of disease. We've had several Galarina trees planted for several years now - no complaints at all with Galarina, a good deer variety.

The apple varieties I have planted all seem to exhibit decent CAR resistance. Bitter spot is the disease most affecting my apples - as it actually affects the fruit
Maybe have soil tested? Orchardist and cider maker from Virginia I had a chat with recently says he has to apply calcium for his bitter pit problems. Claims a foliar spray is the most effective to apply the calcium but not sure what he uses.

Maybe have soil tested? Orchardist and cider maker from Virginia I had a chat with recently says he has to apply calcium for his bitter pit problems. Claims a foliar spray is the most effective to apply the calcium but not sure what he uses.
My soil type here is blackland prairie calcarous soil. My land is part of an old lime mining operation and before that - they made cement. The natural pH is 7.5. I dont think it is a lack of calcium

Bitter pit is generally caused by a calcium deficiency, but since your soil has plenty, it is probably due to an abundance of potassium. Honey crisp apples hyper-accumulate potassium, which blocks it's ability to take in calcium. So most commercial orchards will use foliar calcium sprays, even though their soil may have plenty.

The best way to remove excess potassium from your soil is to grow something which produces lots of above ground foliage then remove it. For example, growing alfalfa, then baling it removes 60 pounds of potassium for each ton of hay. Even better would be growing corn or sorghum, and then removing it while still green.

Next apple to ripen is Summer Champion. As you can see in the pics below, some are starting to get some color. This is a good early season apple that I recommend. Taste is slightly on the tart side but good for fresh eating too. Will show light to moderate CAR and seems immune to FB and everything else. My tree is small on mm106 - about 12 feet tall and wide. Crop this year is on the light side. Size of this apple is medium to large. Has been dependable.
IMG_2909.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
IMG_2911.jpeg

I’m also going to give you an early preview of Myers Royal Limbertwig. I’m going to need some help when this one ripens.

IMG_2908.jpeg

I am absorbing inspiration (and hope) from this thread. The summer we acquired this property (2017) we planted six apple trees. While several did not survive the deer that season, we have a total of 12 fruit trees now (eight apple, two pear and two plums). Although we've lost about two per year due to rabbits and disease, I saw two apples tonight...the first of what I hope will be a bounty such Native Hunter is enjoying.

I finished picking the last few Bevan’s Favorites today. The few that are left will feed the deer. The last pic is a preview preview of one of my favorite drying apples that is a long way from being ready.

IMG_2967.jpegIMG_2965.jpeg

I'll bite ......... What's that last pic of??

I'll bite ......... What's that last pic of??
Bows, It's called Winter King (aka Stark) - supposedly an apple that came from Ohio and was grown commercially. It makes a big hard apple that is perfect for drying. Has the rep for being susceptible to FB, but I have never seen the first bit on it.

Nice apples. To remove excess potassium, oats can be used. Just mow and rake up. No apple or even honeycrisp expert, but the potassium issue may be internal to the apple.

356. what disease are you having on your trees?

Jspanese beetles are my curent problem. Last year I couldn't trick them into a trap, they're going into spectracide traps right now. Thought I used them last year. Not sure what crossbow's gig is, but they don't seem to like eating their leaves. Aphids aren't bothering that tree too much either.

My next apple to ripen is Williams Pride. This is at the farm, and I had almost forgotten about it. This is only the second crop of apples, and so far not very impressive. At this time I am holding my recommendation on this cultivar until I get more experience. The apples this year are misshapen looking and small. That could be because of the polar vortex last winter. They are fine for deer but not very good looking for humans. Ask me about this one in a few more years.
IMG_2972.jpeg
This is one of the better looking ones, but none very impressive so far.

IMG_2973.jpeg

My next apple to ripen is Priscilla. We are loaded with them this year. In my opinion, there is not a better apple. It is extremely DR, clean and reliable. The taste is outstanding. The first ones should be ripe by the end of the month and the will continue over 6 weeks. More pics to come as they ripen.

IMG_2987.jpeg
IMG_2988.jpeg

My next apple to ripen is Priscilla. We are loaded with them this year. In my opinion, there is not a better apple. It is extremely DR and reliable. The taste is outstanding. The first ones should be ripe by the end of the month and the will continue over 6 weeks. More pics to come as they ripen.

View attachment 54385
View attachment 54386
Glad to hear that about Priscilla! I just grafted a couple branches to my Liberty apple this year on some of your past comments about it. I also added Pristine and Kerr on a whim.

Glad to hear that about Priscilla! I just grafted a couple branches to my Liberty apple this year on some of your past comments about it. I also added Pristine and Kerr on a whim.

Yes, Priscilla is an outstanding cultivar.

PS - Now I'm also very excited to see how Sundance finishes. They are looking fabulous so far. I thinned some on the lower branches and put T-post at a couple of places where they were really heavy.

IMG_2970.jpeg

PS - Now I'm also very excited to see how Sundance finishes. They are looking fabulous so far. I thinned some on the lower branches and put T-post at a couple of places where they were really heavy.

Hopefully I'll get to try some sundance this year. The squirrels have plundered them the last couple years before they were ripe.

A few conibears out this year should help resolve that issue.