Native Grass Fall Planting Question

MNAaron

5 year old buck +
I am planning on doing a fall dormant seeding of 12 acres of NWSG this fall. I am planting it into a thick stand of timothy grass. Here is what I am proposing to do however looking for suggestions since I have never done this before.

Sometime in Sept. spray area with roundup to kill cool season grasses (after they have their cool season growth) and then once grasses are dry and dead burn it to remove the thatch. Seed it once the soil temp gets low enough. I can probably burn it myself if rest of the area is still green. If not will need fire department help.

Does this sound like a decent plan? Any suggestions or comments? What am I missing?

Are you going to drill them or top seed? Also, what is behind your choice to plant NWSGs? I ask because I've found that the further you get into MN, WI, MI the less benefit NWSGs offer to deer.

Meyer Hunting Land A.JPG
Are you going to drill them or top seed? Also, what is behind your choice to plant NWSGs? I ask because I've found that the further you get into MN, WI, MI the less benefit NWSGs offer to deer.
We are using a no till drill. We want to plant the NWSGs in this area since this will be where we access stands. I was assuming the deer will not use this area much and it would be good for fawning and turkeys. Plus we are making money by having it in EQIP. Helps pay the taxes.

Here is a map. That will probably help you Steve.

Last edited:
I did a spring crp planting and I drilled oats with the NWSG as a cover crop. Could you add fall rye so it has some protection come spring. I would be worried about spring melt/rains washing areas out if there is any slope.

Last edited:
I'll strongly suggest oust

3yrs ago I planted a switch grass field, I sprayed it 3 times during the summer/fall before planting and once early on in the spring after frost seeding it. I didn't use Oust but I wish I would have for a little extra long term help.

Aaron, that makes sense and what I use it for in the more northern areas, myself. The only thing else I'd have to add is what dipper and scott already mentioned.

I'm not familiar with using Oust on prairie grass but Plateau is often used as a pre-emergent. Are you planting any forbs or only grasses? I do know that switch germination can be impacted by using to much Plateau. If you use a pre-emergent follow the directions.

We were planning on using plateau since we do not have many forbs. Is Oust a cheaper and better option?

If we plant rye as a cover crop I suppose we simply clip it later in the year. Is that correct?

I clipped the oats and actually continued regular cuttings for two seasons. Farm service wasn't happy with that but now I'm on the third year and have a beautiful stand of crp. Only thing that's been a pain is spot spraying the thistles.

I was prepared to give up on some big blue/Indian I planted 3 years ago with no herbicide and little mechanical control. I also used non certified seed from a lady in waupaca county which saved me thousands of dollars! I think I paid $200 for 80 pounds of seed!!!
This is not enrolled in a crp program, and I will be adding oaks and conifers.
My prep was in the fall of 2011, I planted rye and red clover at 2 pounds/ acre. I planted the nwsg in spring 2012, which was a drought year. Late summer 2012-mowed, rye reseeded and clover thickened up. I did the same in 2013 and 2014. I had a very good clover patch by 2014, with plenty of rye still present. At this point I gave up on the nwsg, thinking my seed was bad, and the clover choked whatever good seed I had out! I was already planning on nuking the field this year and planting switchgrass by the book in 2016.
I gave this stand one last chance, and nuked the clover with 24d, and mowed the rye, spring 2015. I thought if anything I'll get a jump on eliminating the clover for the 2016 switchgrass.
I haven't been on this farm the last month and a half, but went out there yesterday. I was was amazed, the nwsg looks awesome. It's just as thick as my established switchgrass!
I have a couple patches of cool season grass I'm gonna touch up this fall, but the nwsg pulled through with all the corners I cut and all the $ I saved.
Next up is how I'm gonna establish the conifers and oaks in the thick grass. I love the freedom of not being tied down by a crp contract, because I think I can turn this into some awesome habitat. I also can rent a native grass combine for little $, so I will be harvesting the seed. I wonder how many acres I could plant from 8 acres of seed? I wouldn't be able to do this with a crp contract also.

View attachment 5703
We are using a no till drill. We want to plant the NWSGs in this area since this will be where we access stands. I was assuming the deer will not use this area much and it would be good for fawning and turkeys. Plus we are making money by having it in EQIP. Helps pay the taxes.

Here is a map. That will probably help you Steve.
I know we discussed this before. Did you decide on just a rim of conifers in those areas? Just natural regrowth inside of the conifer rim?