All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Muzzleloader fun

Mista Paacha

5 year old buck +
Got out to the farm today for a bit of shooting. Since there is some interest in shooting muzzys I figured you guys would enjoy this. This is my bench set up shooting my Smokeless muzzleloader.
aSjZDzZ.jpg

Some videos

I need one of those!!

Very nice. What's longest kill you've made on a deer with that?

Mista ... very impressive. I have a TC Pro Hunter Encore 205x50 magnum with a Nikon scope. I am comfortable with it out to 150 yards, 200 depending on the conditions. Keep in mind in Wisconsin we are able to use center fire rifles so that is typically the go to weapon.

What can an average Joe like myself do to improve my current equipment set-up or ammo selection? Any tips on shooting techniques?

Not looking to become a ballistics or custom build weapons experts, always interested in learning more though.

Tree Spud, not sure if you use pellets or loose powder but if using pellets anf you want to improve your shooting give them away. Pick up some Blackhorn 209 and start playing around with different measured loads. Also try different bullets to see what your gun really likes. My tc likes 110 gr of BH 209 teamed up with a Barnes.

Mista ... very impressive. I have a TC Pro Hunter Encore 205x50 magnum with a Nikon scope. I am comfortable with it out to 150 yards, 200 depending on the conditions. Keep in mind in Wisconsin we are able to use center fire rifles so that is typically the go to weapon.

What can an average Joe like myself do to improve my current equipment set-up or ammo selection? Any tips on shooting techniques?

Not looking to become a ballistics or custom build weapons experts, always interested in learning more though.

As @Peeps said. If you intend to improve accuracy, velocity and reliability you need to shoot BH209. Pellets are convenient but that is all.

Accuracy in a muzzleloader starts with the projectile. In a 50cal like yours shooting sabots is likely going to perform the best.
It is critical that they fit well. Fury Custom bullets makes a 45 cal 275gr Star Tip that when matched with a Harvester Crush Rib sabot will bring your rifle to life when pushed with BH209.

As mentioned the Barnes Originals shoot very well also.

Depending on the bore of your rifle if the Bullet/sabot loads easily with very light pressure from the ramrod I would knurl the bullet to help give it some bite. This tip works wonders for accuracy on loose fitting loads.

A quality constructed bullet is paramount to muzzy accuracy.

Next is powder. Shoot three shot groups with BH209. Start at say 95 grains by volume. Move up in 2gr increments. I wouldn’t exceed 110gr by volume. Find the powder load the rifle likes. Take care to shoot from a good rest and be easy with the trigger. Your going for consistency so don’t worry about zeroing just group size.

When shooting a single shot rifle from a rest it is important that you only rest on the forearm not the barrel. Also the swivel stud can cause issues. Sand bags, backpack work well.

Converting a TC to smokeless is easy and not terribly expensive. This would allow you to ditch the sabot and shoot formed bullets for the ultimate accuracy. Not to mention the fact that you no longer need to clean it like a Blackpowder gun....yuk.

Arrowhead Sporting Goods sells a conversion kit that starts at $880. This conversion makes 300+ yards easy. I shot against several TC guns at my last match and while they didn’t place in the top five they certainly proved they belonged.

http://www.arrowheadsporting.com/encore.html

Very nice. What's longest kill you've made on a deer with that?

Longest kill I’ve made is 217 yards. I’m capable of making much longer shots but since I hunt from a hut I’m able to be patient and wait for them to get closer.

Making a small error on steel doesn’t wound an animal. I can’t bare the thought of me trying to be a stud and shoot a whitetail at 500+ and not make a kill shot.

Coyotes are another story. I’ve killed two at over 600. One I hit the back hip. He drug around on his front legs for a day before we were able to find him and put him down.

I built another smokeless rig. This one is a Remington 700 action, Bartlein 375 cal barrel (28", 1:12 twist), XLR Envy chassis, Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60x52
I'm shooting 270-350gr bullets at 2800-3100fps

ApEClwS.jpg

4m2TKHJ.jpg

xvhMRFg.jpg

bks4sIA.jpg

sTt4STi.jpg

Nice, it likes the 275 Fury! I love my Savage 10ML. I need to find more time to shoot...

That's some great shooting. I also have a Savage 10ML, nice weapon but I have not put much time into it.

What model Vortex is that?

Golden Eagle HD 15-60×52

I just bought a Viper 50mm objective on a 30mm tube. So far I am really impressed. I was a Leupold guy for ages(5 scopes). Bought a Zeiss, and love it, but I don't think it is worth the premium. This Vortex just keeps impressing me.

I looked at a Vortex Razor next to a Nightforce, and I couldn't tell a difference. But that was inside a Cabela's.

You reckon that Golden Eagle is worth the dough for long range shooting/hunting?

Mista Paacha,

Thanks for posting this. I really like your gun.

I just bought a Smokeless Hankins recently and today was the first time I have had a chance to shoot it. I'm shooting the 275 Grain Pittman bullet at 3,000 fps with 78 grains of IMR 4198 as recommended by my builder. Shown below are some pics from my first day with the gun.

I'm never going to get as interested in this stuff as you are, but I would love to talk with you some evening on the phone. If you would like to do that, send me a PM with a number to call and give me an idea of when is usually a good time to talk.

I'm not going to get into the competitions they have in this stuff, and honestly won't shoot it much just for fun. But, my son and I will use it to deer hunt with. That is why I bought it.

My Gun
Rm1aYM2h.jpg

My first 3 shot group at 100 yards today at full throttle load.
0nlJqBVh.jpg

The scope settings for different yardages my builder gave me.
ZZJWiaqh.jpg

My bullet sizer
wSr0IkMh.jpg

First 200 yard group. Later I shot another group at 200 and it opened up to 1 7/8 inch, but wind was doing 15 mph gust, so understandable.
STvWEwQh.jpg

Priming my primer holder
RPwxl7mh.jpg

Attachments

• 1522523916012.png
    1522523916012.png
    205.6 KB · Views: 7
I just bought a Viper 50mm objective on a 30mm tube. So far I am really impressed. I was a Leupold guy for ages(5 scopes). Bought a Zeiss, and love it, but I don't think it is worth the premium. This Vortex just keeps impressing me.

I looked at a Vortex Razor next to a Nightforce, and I couldn't tell a difference. But that was inside a Cabela's.

You reckon that Golden Eagle is worth the dough for long range shooting/hunting?

Vortex makes quality optics at very reasonable prices.
The Golden Eagle is a F-Class competition scope and the field of view and crosshairs are not suitable for hunting.

My 45 has the Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50. I have over 900 rounds of heavy hitters thru it. I’ll keep buying them until they let me down.

Mista Paacha,

Thanks for posting this. I really like your gun.

I just bought a Smokeless Hankins recently and today was the first time I have had a chance to shoot it. I'm shooting the 275 Grain Pittman bullet at 3,000 fps with 78 grains of IMR 4198 as recommended by my builder. Shown below are some pics from my first day with the gun.

I'm never going to get as interested in this stuff as you are, but I would love to talk with you some evening on the phone. If you would like to do that, send me a PM with a number to call and give me an idea of when is usually a good time to talk.

I'm not going to get into the competitions they have in this stuff, and honestly won't shoot it much just for fun. But, my son and I will use it to deer hunt with. That is why I bought it.

My Gun
Rm1aYM2h.jpg

My first 3 shot group at 100 yards today at full throttle load.
0nlJqBVh.jpg

The scope settings for different yardages my builder gave me.
ZZJWiaqh.jpg

My bullet sizer
wSr0IkMh.jpg

First 200 yard group. Later I shot another group at 200 and it opened up to 1 7/8 inch, but wind was doing 15 mph gust, so understandable.
STvWEwQh.jpg

Priming my primer holder
RPwxl7mh.jpg

Jeff Hankins does a great job. I will be shooting with him next weekend at the Kentucky Challenge. This smokeless rigs are a ton of fun like you are finding out.
Check out FB page Smokeless Muzzleloader Shooters Group

Jeff Hankins does a great job. I will be shooting with him next weekend at the Kentucky Challenge. This smokeless rigs are a ton of fun like you are finding out.
Check out FB page Smokeless Muzzleloader Shooters Group

Yes, he told me about the shoot next weekend and invited me to come to it. I can't go this year, but hopefully someday might make it. I have a lot to learn but was excited with my results today.