All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mouse Trap

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I took a small plastic Pepsi bottle (8 oz) drilled small hole in the cap and in the bottom, stuck the wire through it and around the handle of a five gallon buck, got my board propped up against the buck to let the little mice run up and jump onto the bottle where it is suppose to spin and cause them to fall in the bucket.............

Well they are going to fill the five gallon bucket with mouse crap before I catch my first mouse. I think the weight of the peanut butter is enough to allow them to land without the bottle spinning.

What do you all use for bait and any other ideas. I am not using poison again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah the ole bucket of death. I drill holes at the top of the bucket and run a metal coat hanger as the axle. Open, empty, and clean a can of veggies. Reinstall top of can and drill a hole on top and bottom. Run can through coat hanger axle. Paint peanut butter onto can. Use "stoppers" (I use nylon ties) to keep the can over the center of the bucket. Prop a scrap piece of wood up on the bucket as a plank. I built this over a year ago and I'm still catching mice without rebaiting. Use rv antifreeze and the dead mice won't stink. If I had pics handy I'd post them.

you don't need the bottle. At least in my area. I just put a little winter rye in the bottom of a 5 gl bucket and set it next to boxes or anything mice can climb. They willingly jump into the 5 gal bucket. With a couple inches of WR, they can't seem to jump out and just die in the bucket.

Been there done that. It works with a major draw back.

First let me tell you my new method. Go to tractor supply or your local hardware store and buy big bait stations. Fill them with bait and place them outside of where you want no mice. Keep them baited often. I have had years long battles with mice in my farm house, barn and hunting blinds. Once they decided to nest in my bed, under my pillow. I ended it, No more fight I went to chemical warfare and won.

Now the drawback. I put one of those bucket deals in a blind once. Living so far from said blind it was several weeks before I got back to check it. 1 dead rotting mouse really smells bad. A bucket full can choke a maggot. I have never smelled something quite as awful as a bucket full of rotting mice in water, in a blind.

Trust me, I know a little bit about killing deer. I'm an expert with mice. Poison the suckers before they have a chance! The farm house is a small 3 bedroom rancher. It's got 6 bait stations around it full of bait 24/7/365. The barn has 4. 1 next to the propane tank, 1 in the old corn crib. I made a 900 mile trip in February with the main goal of refilling bait stations. I take my mouse eradication seriously.:D

People worry about collateral damage. A coon, cat,bird etc eats a poisoned mouse and dies. Screw that, in war there is always collateral damage. When you pee on my pillow, it's on!

I do both. I have bait behind the 6x6 barn poles to ensure only target animals get them (friends sometimes bring dogs down). The WR in a 5 gal was bay accident. I had some left over WR that I threw in a bucket and forgot to put a lid on it. When I went to deal with it a few days later I found several dead mice in it. Maybe they ate themselves to death. I don't know. I fished them out and a few days later there were more in it. I'm sure the poison is killing them as well.

I guess it's nice to have a wife who likes cats. We have half a dozen of them and they're constantly leaving dead critters on the deck as presents, mice and moles mostly, also a chipmunk or baby rabbit once in awhile. Never see any snakes around here either, which is why my wife loves the cats.

Along with cats, we have about 30 barn swallows that call our place home, which means we don't have to worry about mosquitoes, even with standing water in my little strip of marsh at the back of our property. Sure is nice to bow hunt without bugs bothering you.

Now just need something to take care of the tics, although they haven't been too bad for the past couple of months.

A couple of roaming guinea hens and your covered for ticks, unless you have lots of yotes and foxes, then all your guinea hens did was provide them with a few hot lunches.

Collective response - I love my wife in part because she joins me in hating cats (deathly allergic to them I am). So that is out. Lots of good ways to poison them - can build a T out of PVC and pour in granular poison and as long as legs so the T are too small in diameter and too long in length for dogs cats etc to get in it is good. But I have had one bird dog poisoned from mice poison ( saved him with hydrogen Peroxide), and I don't want the bird dogs eating a poisoned mouse. Bill never thought about smell - hmmm. Jack I have had the winter wheat work in the same way by accident. What do you think draws them to it? Decisions decisions .....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a six gallon bucket I set every weekend before we leave. A couple crackers, bird seed, or peanuts is all you need. I run a board up to rim and they jump right in. The great part is they eat each other, I am usually left with one dead mouse and a couple tails. I usually empty it every week and there is usually only a smell if I go two weeks. I just dump them in the fire pit, easy peasy. I stopped using poison when we got our dog. We also had some die in places we could not find them and that smell was horrible.

Or you guys talking about dogs getting into your poison or eating mice that ate the poison?

Or you guys talking about dogs getting into your poison or eating mice that ate the poison?
I have a bigger concern with my dog finding the poison. Our mice pick it up and move it. Several times I have found it on the couch or chair. I use the green blocks, and they move them all over.

I have a bigger concern with my dog finding the poison. Our mice pick it up and move it. Several times I have found it on the couch or chair. I use the green blocks, and they move them all over.

The bait stations I use have small rods in them. The rod goes through the blocks with holes in them and lock in place. Mice can't move them.

I do have to wire them to something and put a brick on them because the coons drag them all over the yard trying to get in.

I never use them inside the house just around the perimeter. Never had a dead one in the house. But a few in the barn.

In the barn I do bait inside. A16 penny nail fits through the hole in the block. Nail it to the base board. But I don't have a dog to worry over.

I had a dog eat pack rats that were poisoned, it almost killed him. He was an outside dog and I had an old car with packrats in it. I poisoned them for a week (their crap turned from black to green before they disappeared). Shortly after they vanished from the car, the dog obviously wasn't feeling well so we brought him in for the night. He had a night of bloody diarrhea that I'll never forget! Luckily he survived and lived many yrs after that but I don't poison rats anymore.
Now I have a bounty on mice/rats and pay my kids for each one they catch. They're run their first trap line, making a few dollars, and keeping the vermin away from my stuff.