All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moultrie D555i external power supply question.

JackTerp

5 year old buck +
I have 2 D555i's and use external 12v batteries for power. Something has chewed through one of the cables and I need a replacement. Moultrie does not sell replacement cables. You have to buy the entire battery set-up. I can't see spending $80 to fix a $10 dollar problem. Does anyone have a suggestion? I assume that the cable cuts the voltage down to 6v but I am not sure. I think that the plug to the camera is a 4mm fitting. Can anyone verify that?

Can't you just cut it apart, twist it back together and tape it up? I don't know enough about that cable I guess. I once cut my own skill saw cord off. Stripped it, twisted it back together, taped it up, and back to work in about two minutes.

Can't you just cut it apart, twist it back together and tape it up? I don't know enough about that cable I guess. I once cut my own skill saw cord off. Stripped it, twisted it back together, taped it up, and back to work in about two minutes.
There is a part in line that I believe is a resistor that cuts the power from 12v to 6v. The critter that gnawed on it ate into that piece. I tried to repair it but I get a steady 12v to the connector at the camera. That is no good.

If they want $80 to fix it, I'd just spend a $100 and get one that runs on AA lithium. Odds are that could happen again if it's already happened once.

The camera runs a 6 "C" cell batteries. I use the 12v external because i keep the camera on video mode and only check it about every two weeks. It kills any internal batteries I have tried way too quickly. Moultrie will not sell you only the cable, they want you to buy the entire battery package instead. I should know better than to deal with Moultrie.

Jack, You might want to search around the chasingame.com forums. There is a bunch of talk there about external batteries and cables.

One of the post link to here...maybe you could give them call and they can clarify if their $14 cable will work for you.

http://www.custom1enterprises.com/custom1enterprises_010.htm

Jack, You might want to search around the chasingame.com forums. There is a bunch of talk there about external batteries and cables.

One of the post link to here...maybe you could give them call and they can clarify if their $14 cable will work for you.

http://www.custom1enterprises.com/custom1enterprises_010.htm

Thanks for that link. they have the power cable I need for $14. I ordered two.

Thanks for that link. they have the power cable I need for $14. I ordered two.

Hope it works for you. I ordered a camera through them a few years ago, just to ease your mind that they are a legit vendor.