More problems in my orchard

Charman03

5 year old buck +
Still trying to figure out what's hitting my trees at my one orchard (see earlier post) but a quick walk through of my other orchard here at the house reveals I have issues here as well. I'm thinking CAR on most trees but unsure about the liberty bc the spots are brown. Any insight? Pics below.

First pic liberty with the brown spots
2nd and 3rd are crimson crisp
4th is goldrush
5th is some weird weed/tree that just started trying to take over my lawnIMG_9312.JPGIMG_9313.JPGIMG_9314.JPGIMG_9315.JPGIMG_9316.JPG

After doing some looking, I'm thinking the liberty might have frog eye leaf spot and the other trees have rust.

Remedies?

First pics look like rust.
The weird looking tree that is trying to take over your yard looks to be maple seedlings or those dang helicopter things that fly all over an clog stuff up every spring.

First pics look like rust.
The weird looking tree that is trying to take over your yard looks to be maple seedlings or those dang helicopter things that fly all over an clog stuff up every spring.
I agree on the maple seedlings, I think I have an Amur maple in the yard

Looks like CAR. My property is slap full of cedars.

I only have 8 varieties of apples planted, most were supposed to not be susceptible to CAR but all are showing varying degrees of sign.

I’ve learned that I need to spray early because once it’s on the leaves for that year, there is nothing you can do.

Definitely CAR. Cut down any red cedar within 2 miles of your apple trees. Then apologize to your neighbors. Cedar Apple Rust requires red cedar trees to survive. White cedar is safe.

Definitely CAR. Cut down any red cedar within 2 miles of your apple trees. Then apologize to your neighbors. Cedar Apple Rust requires red cedar trees to survive. White cedar is safe.

e84e92a9c49b0d93ec032292dbc90f70.jpg
21706338a311a6032c4fe8174a29909f.jpg

Agree. Here are pictures from my place of the red cedar. I only see these for a few days during warm humid weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I cut down any an all cedars on my property. I'd loose about 1/4 of my winter cover. I would consider them one of our top species to plant for wildlife.

Ive learned to live with it.
Get resistant varieties
Watch the weather an junipers to time your sprays.

Usually can get by with 1 spray 2 at the most in my region. But everywhere is different.

So is everyone in agreement that the first picture of the brown spots on the liberty is also CAR? Looks different then the yellow spots on the other trees.

Funny thing is, I have another goldrush here that shows no signs of CAR about 70 yards away

First picture is scab, the rest are CAR and then welcome to the maple jungle!

Any member of the juniper family - including red cedar - can be an alternate host for CAR fungus. White cedar ( arborvitae ) is not a juniper, so it's safe to have around. Goldrush is said to be susceptible to CAR, but not so bad it kills the tree or damages the fruit.

100% on the maple trees. They're popping up in my yard too.

Isn't Liberty supposed to be immune to scab ???

Any member of the juniper family - including red cedar - can be an alternate host for CAR fungus. White cedar ( arborvitae ) is not a juniper, so it's safe to have around. Goldrush is said to be susceptible to CAR, but not so bad it kills the tree or damages the fruit.

100% on the maple trees. They're popping up in my yard too.

Isn't Liberty supposed to be immune to scab ???
Yes liberty is supposedly immune to scab. Perhaps it's something else. Can't believe how many problems I'm having with my trees. Almost every tree has something going on

I have a lot of Cedar near my home, where I like to start my new trees in containers right beside each other. Last summer, my Honeycrisp, Florina, and Winecrisp showed extensive cedar rust blight, while the Galarina, Franklin, and Dolgo showed nothing at all. However from my experience so far, the effect of cedar rust on a trees general health and productivity seems minimal. All the effected trees from last year are doing just a well as the unaffected trees this spring. For me, cedar rust is more a cosmetic issue, than a real threat to the health of the tree. I wouldn’t sweat the rust too much Charman. Scab, I don’t know too much about.

I think the Liberty has frogeye leaf spot based on the purple border and brown interior. Rest look like the orange CAR spots.

The leaf spots cause most damage to the leaves themselves, not the fruit. The larger the spots get he less efficient the leaf gets.
By the way, the "Cut down any red cedar within 2 miles of your apple trees. Then apologize to your neighbors." was said tongue-in-cheek. :-)
But thanks for the picture. I've never see actual CAR on cedars before. If one didn't know better, one might incorrectly assume the CAR was just some pretty flowers instead of the Applocalypse we all know it to be. "Applocalypse", see what I did there?? :-)

Sandbur's pic of the CAR with the orange " octopus " things on the cedars is a good one. ( post #7 ). The orange tentacle things are the fruiting bodies of the CAR fungus, much like a morel mushroom we pick is the fruiting body of that fungus. I'm no fungus expert by any means - but I've read enough about CAR to know that piece of info !! I actually had one of those orange things appear on a juniper I used to have in our yard years ago. That's how I came to know what it was - after some research.

If I cut down any an all cedars on my property. I'd loose about 1/4 of my winter cover. I would consider them one of our top species to plant for wildlife.

Ive learned to live with it.
Get resistant varieties
Watch the weather an junipers to time your sprays.

Usually can get by with 1 spray 2 at the most in my region. But everywhere is different.

If I cut down my cedars, I would lose 80% of my winter cover.
c682a536f4a9e15d362c9cad02a61033.jpg

I have nearly lost a couple of trees that were hit by scab and CAR at the same time. They were seedling apples and nearly 30 years old.

Do some trees, depending on rootstock , have a limited lifespans on lighter soil? I heard this many years ago , before we had as many different rootstocks or before we had the internet to share info between areas of the country. This was about 50 years back and the discussion was about hardy rootstock for northern Minnesota.

Can anyone recommend a fungicide spray by bonide that I can go get at my local away today? They have a captan and other stuffIMG_9318.PNG

I have nearly lost a couple of trees that were hit by scab and CAR at the same time. They were seedling apples and nearly 30 years old.

Do some trees, depending on rootstock , have a limited lifespans on lighter soil? I heard this many years ago , before we had as many different rootstocks or before we had the internet to share info between areas of the country. This was about 50 years back and the discussion was about hardy rootstock for northern Minnesota.

Typically, the smaller the dwarf tree, the shorter the productive life span. I have read thatgrowers will often replant apple trees on M26 rootstock after 15-20 years.