MN bills introduced to allow crossbows during archery season.

Crossbows are like pickleball. Bunch of octogenarians can't get it done on the real courts anymore, so instead of staying home to play pingpong or Wii tennis like they should, they get all the courts converted to their sport. Maybe all us old washed up bowhunters should just know when to call it, and stay in our lane with gun season and Big Buck Hunter. lol
I have had a crossbow for quite a few years. This year I didn’t buy a bow license at all. I missed it a bit, but it is easier to not carry a crossbow into the woods when there are no deer to be seen anyway( speaking of my bow hunting ground).

Venison donation programs are a bigger threat to the quality of hunting than crossbows?
In my limited experience, yes. I know some land owners that don't eat an entire deer in a year but will shoot every deer that they can get a tag for. Not farmers protecting a crop, just people satisfying their blood lust. They don't feel one bit bad because in their mind the meat is getting used. Some processors I've talked with have said that a good percentage of what comes to them to be donated ends up in the trash.

I also think that it makes wild game look like low quality fare in the eyes of the average person. Why not eat it yourself if it's high quality food?

While a crossbow may make it easier for me to successfully take a deer, it does not encourage me to be as disrespectful to the resource as a donation program does.

In my limited experience, yes. I know some land owners that don't eat an entire deer in a year but will shoot every deer that they can get a tag for. Not farmers protecting a crop, just people satisfying their blood lust. They don't feel one bit bad because in their mind the meat is getting used. Some processors I've talked with have said that a good percentage of what comes to them to be donated ends up in the trash.

I also think that it makes wild game look like low quality fare in the eyes of the average person. Why not eat it yourself if it's high quality food?

While a crossbow may make it easier for me to successfully take a deer, it does not encourage me to be as disrespectful to the resource as a donation program does.
It’s an interesting thought for sure. Admittedly I use our program in ky. I need to take a few does each year and between processing cost, storage room, and simply ability to consume, I end up donating a few each year. It’s super convenient, I just gut it and drop it off and it’s free. Ethically it makes me feel like I’m doing something with the deer, but the reality is I wouldn’t put past these processors to claim it with the state to get whatever fee they get and dump it. Currently, our population is not in any danger of being too low so I can’t say it’s hurting our numbers, but it definitely allows people to take more than they “need” which is an interesting debate. I use it as a management tool. In full disclosure I do not get warm and fuzzies thinking it’s going to a homeless kitchen somewhere…no, I can’t say i do.

Last edited:
they had a season this year?

I am for it. IT makes the slobs a touch bit better. It's alot easier to make a bad shot with a bow than a crossbow. There are folks who go out whther they practice or not. I've heard of folks not even shooting the bow once before going out. Whatever makes harvesting more ethical overall is good in my opinion. There are people out there who reguarly put an arrow in more than one deer to harvest one.

A debate I might be interested in is scopes for PA's flintlock season. They don't even allow peep sights.

Crossbow saved my season. I tor my bicep in march, so I shouldn't be shooting a bow this summer. Although I do shoot a 55lb bow with 80% let-off. Went out a few times with the crossbow, no luck due to farmer having a slow moving harvest. Wet corn........ IT was nice for folks who have shoulder or arm issues to still be afforded to hunt the early season. In NY bow is october 1st to mid november. Crossbow is the last 2 weeks of bow season. I think it's a nice compromise. No extra tag. You can get (2) bow/muzzle tags, one is antlerless only. And on top of that doe management tags. Typically it's one, but it can be more.

they had a season this year?

I am for it. IT makes the slobs a touch bit better. It's alot easier to make a bad shot with a bow than a crossbow. There are folks who go out whther they practice or not. I've heard of folks not even shooting the bow once before going out. Whatever makes harvesting more ethical overall is good in my opinion. There are people out there who reguarly put an arrow in more than one deer to harvest one.

A debate I might be interested in is scopes for PA's flintlock season. They don't even allow peep sights.

Crossbow saved my season. I tor my bicep in march, so I shouldn't be shooting a bow this summer. Although I do shoot a 55lb bow with 80% let-off. Went out a few times with the crossbow, no luck due to farmer having a slow moving harvest. Wet corn........ IT was nice for folks who have shoulder or arm issues to still be afforded to hunt the early season. In NY bow is october 1st to mid november. Crossbow is the last 2 weeks of bow season. I think it's a nice compromise. No extra tag. You can get (2) bow/muzzle tags, one is antlerless only. And on top of that doe management tags. Typically it's one, but it can be more.
No offense but “whatever makes it ethical” is a catch-all. I can be plenty ethical with .50 cal or night vision.

It’s an interesting thought for sure. Admittedly I use our program in ky. I need to take a few does each year and between processing cost, storage room, and simply ability to consume, I end up donating a few each year. It’s super convenient, I just gut it and drop it off and it’s free. Ethically it makes me feel like I’m doing something with the deer, but the reality is I wouldn’t put past these processors to claim it with the state to get whatever fee they get and dump it. Currently, our population is not in any danger of being too low so I can’t say it’s hurting our numbers, but it definitely allows people to take more than they “need” which is an interesting debate. I use it as a management tool. In full disclosure I do not get warm and fuzzies thinking it’s going to a homeless kitchen somewhere…no, I can’t say i do.
I see the value in the program from the management side. I would rather that the animal enter the food system at a level more on par with the quality of the resource. So, instead of it being processed for a food shelf, being viewed as peasant food, and costing every hunter more in license fees, the USDA could get out of the way. Hunters could arrange with processors to drop deer off for free. Processors could then butcher and sell to whomever. Put it under a special tax designation and apply those funds to improve habitat on public lands. Land managers still have a way to ethically get rid of excess, consumers get better access to higher quality food, and hunters save money on licenses.

Hot take incoming...

Crossbows for all, IMO, being included in archery season to me is a very similar to boys/men getting their junk cut off and then playing women's sports.

I don't have a problem with crossbows one bit, but they are not archery and belong with their own season.

Hot take incoming...

Crossbows for all, IMO, being included in archery season to me is a very similar to boys/men getting their junk cut off and then playing women's sports.

I don't have a problem with crossbows one bit, but they are not archery and belong with their own season.
Crossbow guy at PTA meeting
“GD government can’t tell us boys can play girls sports. They have no idea what’s best for us”

Crossbow guy on hunting forum
“Government said crossbows are legal so respect my choices”.

I will tell you, Wisconsin doesnt need more seasons. Bow season starts in September and goes until mid January. Gun season starts with youth in October, and there pretty much is some sort of a gun season going until New Years, between youth, veterans, gun season, muzzle loader season, doe only, Holiday hunt, I am sure I missed a couple.

For those that think crossbow is the end to all evils, go buy one, lug it around some state land, find a spot to hunt, and sit and shoot a bunch a deer with it. Then come back and preach to us how easy it is to kill all of your deer with it. You may think a crossbow is so simple to hunt on your deertoppia, but in the real world, they are heavy, cumbersome, akward to get shots with, and require expensive maintenance. I dont foresee a bunch of new hunters entering the sport because of crossbows, and if they do, they wont stay because of the cost. If ease is what they are after, then a gun is much easier.

It certainly is no gun, and while it isnt a compound bow, it is much closer to a compound bow then a gun. If I was a healthy guy with no shoulder issues, I would use my compound bow to hunt 9 out of 10 times over a crossbow.

As far as shooting and then donating deer to someone else - the worse travesty of all is duck hunters. I think it ought to be a law if you shoot a duck you have to eat it. There are more duck hunters that dont eat duck than do eat duck.

As far as shooting and then donating deer to someone else - the worse travesty of all is duck hunters. I think it ought to be a law if you shoot a duck you have to eat it. There are more duck hunters that dont eat duck than do eat duck.
Good point. I have a good buddy who lives right by the Snake River out west and has to temper how much he goes cause he can’t responsibly eat all the ones he could kill.

Good point. I have a good buddy who lives right by the Snake River out west and has to temper how much he goes cause he can’t responsibly eat all the ones he could kill.
Supposedly, Stuttgart the duck capital - Idaho is a secret. Puts Arkansas to shame.

Supposedly, Stuttgart the duck capital - Idaho is a secret. Puts Arkansas to shame.
He’s been there about 8 years. He said the increase in pressure just in that timeframe is staggering. Use to be 1-2 boats at the ramp on a weekend, none in the week. Now it’s 7 days a week

I see the value in the program from the management side. I would rather that the animal enter the food system at a level more on par with the quality of the resource. So, instead of it being processed for a food shelf, being viewed as peasant food, and costing every hunter more in license fees, the USDA could get out of the way. Hunters could arrange with processors to drop deer off for free. Processors could then butcher and sell to whomever. Put it under a special tax designation and apply those funds to improve habitat on public lands. Land managers still have a way to ethically get rid of excess, consumers get better access to higher quality food, and hunters save money on licenses.
I strongly feel that meat that is sold should be inspected by certified inspectors.

I am not a fan of venison donation programs. Our family eats the deer ourselves or gives it to someone who wants a deer.

We are very picky about how deer are killed, processed, and handled. Younger deer are handled differently and used differently than mature bucks.

I fear these venison donation programs get deer that is less than top quality. I wouldn’t want to eat venison from a donation program.

There are plenty of people local to you that are in need, shootit, you should clean it, pack it, then give it away.

There are plenty of people local to you that are in need, shootit, you should clean it, pack it, then give it away.

Yep. That’s a big missed opportunity. I don’t envy much of anything, but surplus deer is one I do. I got hosed on processing enough to drive me to learn it on my own. I’ve also thrown away enough overpriced processed venison to drive me to learn to process it on my own.

Last year we tried the quick clean method for the first time. We were done in 60 minutes. With some experience, I’d think we can get that down to 40 or even 30. Huge improvement!

Then, I can all of my venison. 25 cents/lb, can do 18 pounds every 2.5 hours, and 90% of that time is just waiting on the canner. Never thrown away a jar. Always gets eaten. And you’re in healthy meat for the next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading some of these responses, it makes me wonder, how many of you guys know how to even butcher a deer?

God forbid anybody with too many deer on their property invite someone that wants/needs venison step foot on their paradise to harvest one
I get the thought but I personally just can’t risk it. Just too hard to trust people, especially as an absentee landowner. Different times we live in these days.

Yep. That’s a big missed opportunity. I don’t envy much of anything, but surplus deer is one I do. I got hosed on processing enough to drive me to learn it on my own. I’ve also thrown away enough overpriced processed venison to drive me to learn to process it on my own.

Last year we tried the quick clean method for the first time. We were done in 60 minutes. With some experience, I’d think we can get that down to 40 or even 30. Huge improvement!

Then, I can all of my venison. 25 cents/lb, can do 18 pounds every 2.5 hours, and 90% of that time is just waiting on the canner. Never thrown away a jar. Always gets eaten. And you’re in healthy meat for the next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually think the processing - around the game pole, butchering, packaging, canning, sausage making, canadian bacon, cooking - and eating. All a big part of deer hunting.

If you are not doing that - might as well be a crossbow hunter on a corn pile😉