All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Miscanthus Ceeds from New Energy Farms

MN Slick

5 year old buck +
Anyone familiar with New Energy Farms Ceeds for establishing Miscanthus? Seems like a much easier option to establish Miscanthus than dealing with rhizomes with a wider planting window since you don't have to wait for rhizmones to be harvested in the spring.

http://www.newenergyfarms.com/ceeds.php

A few of us tried to get Ceeds a while back. First they quoted a 10k PC min. When we got enough guys to meet it they said no we only have enough to sell to bio fuel producers.

Maybe their production is better now, but I'm done messing with them.

I checked out their web site (MN Slicks link) and they seem to have some interesting stuff (more than just miscanthus)- but if they won't do small quantities then it sort of takes them out of the picture from a habitat perspective for many of us. They do mention the wildlife/conservation/habitat market on their site so they know folks like us are interested in it.

I sent them an email yesterday to see if I can buy some. We'll see.

I sent them an email yesterday to see if I can buy some. We'll see.

Would not take long to round up 10K if a guy wanted to. I ordered 2K last year with one post here. If they are cheap enough I would get a bunch more instead of playing with nodes this spring.

I just got off the phone with them. The representative didn't seem to know much about the "Ceeds".... She wasn't sure if they have sold them in the past, or when they might be availble.

I asked for a quote for 10,000 - 20,000 - 30,000 - still didn't bite (I honestly would have potentially purchased that many if they were available). She is giving me a quote for 10,000 and 20,000 rhizome, and hope to get more info on the "Ceeds" program.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks,

-John

I just got off the phone with them. The representative didn't seem to know much about the "Ceeds".... She wasn't sure if they have sold them in the past, or when they might be availble.

I asked for a quote for 10,000 - 20,000 - 30,000 - still didn't bite (I honestly would have potentially purchased that many if they were available). She is giving me a quote for 10,000 and 20,000 rhizome, and hope to get more info on the "Ceeds" program.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks,

-John

I've been back and forth with them today as well. I'm waiting to hear why they are promoting Ceeds on their website yet they don't seem to be for sale.....I may be waiting awhile. Ceeds sounded awesome but it looks like I'll be planting rhizomes.

Anyone aware of a do it yourself ceed system? Can we figure this propagation system out on our own?

I wonder if they're just "plugging" sections of rhizome and then coating them in a root promoter substance?

I wonder if they're just "plugging" sections of rhizome and then coating them in a root promoter substance?
Didn't bill try that and it didn't work?

I have no idea. You'd need a root "eye" like with a potato.

I have no idea. You'd need a root "eye" like with a potato.
It's a pain in the a$$ to harvest those. Wonder how they harvest thousands of them? Process them? Organize them to get them to grow?
There is something to this we don't know.

I had a college class with the daughter of the Petersen(or son?) potato farmer from the Becker, MN area. She did a presentation on the farming of taters from beginning to distribution and I was :eek: when I learned all they put them spuds through to get one big enough to turn into fries.

I don't know what they're doing with the MG to make it seeder feedable, but if the price was right and I was looking at an energy crop density stand - that'd sure beat the piss out of my shovel planting method.

Of course, if ya had a clear path you could make some trench rows and just drop the rhizomes in the hole and roll the dirt back over 'em. Maybe stick a seat out back like the tree planter rigs and make it a ride for the kids?

I tried to get in on the Ceed order a couple years ago too, only to get the, "sorry" bit as well. Been happy getting my rhizomes from Maple River Farms.

Well it's been a few days since I talked to them. They still haven't emailed me as they promised.

I'll give it a couple more days, then call back and ask to talk to a sales manager :)

-John

I bought from them several times in the past, but never could get ceeds info. Diy would be tough I read the patents and it wasn't easy imo

I recall reading in Europe they modified a potato planter to plant rhizomes, might be an option for some of you handy guys

Didn't bill try that and it didn't work?

Scott and I tried single node cuttings in water. They worked but not as good as the first node in water and the second above water.

From what I recall their Ceeds are the size of a wine cork. They use a special drill for them. But it sounded like a plug planing bar would work great.

No clue what they encase them or in if it is even a node. What interested me was shelf life. Seemed like they didn't have to go in the ground as soon as they arrived.

John,
From what I recall the Canada office was a bit more forth coming with the info.

They just gave me the run around :(. But their run around helped motivate my cutting trials :)

I understand not wanting to sell small quantities to lots of people. But when I call and ask for a quote on 10,000+ pieces, don't you think they would answer me? I don't get it. Who DO they want to sell them to?

Do I need to ask for 100,000 pieces?

-John