Milo

Off topic but we had a horrific flood in August of 07. Where the creek flooded it was all sand and rock. That area is now all locust trees. The turkeys are in them heavily mid winter when the seeds from the pods start to fall.

How well does it stand up thru the fall and winter? I have considered using it for an annual screen or as a cover aspect in plots. I'm not interested in it feeding anything, just if it will stand at 4 or 5 feet thru at least December. Like I said I am looking at maybe a screen or broadcasting it lightly (after I have sprayed) into a row planted soybean plot to simply add some light cover when the plot is mature in Oct/Nov/Dec. I can and have done this with corn before...but corn is harder on the soil, more temperamental and if I have to buy seed is far more expensive. I have heard of Milo/Sorghum being called poor mans corn.

It stands up very well to snow & wind. I plant it more as a screen and for bird cover. I have only had it get to about 4' and I mix with Egyptian wheat, red top hybrid sorghum, sunflowers, etc.

That blend would probably be a decent screen,usually milo won't be 4ft tall and provides alot of cover early but as leaves dry it loses some of that.But I have seen alot of bucks bedded in milo,even after being harvested

I am hoping if the deer dont eat it the turkeys at least will. We don't have much of a turkey population in my immediate area.

Turkeys will eat most anything that doesn't eat them! I never worry about food for adult turkeys. All of my plantings that benefit turkeys are dual purpose and focused at brooding/buffing with sufficient vertical cover nearby. We've sustained good turkey populations since we started the program.

Paul Knox has an iconic thread( were any NOT iconic?) on Milo archived on several forums

bill

Paul Knox has an iconic thread( were any NOT iconic?) on Milo archived on several forums

bill
You don't have a link by chance?

For you guys planting Milo, do you plant the same time as you plant corn or are you going by recommendation and waiting until the soil warms to 65 degrees? I don't get to the farm much after planting corn and beans until I hit the first round of spraying. I suppose I could plant it then. I am just concerned with 100 day maturity and I plant 2nd week in June will I have time for full maturity in central, MN

Mid December WGF Sorghum. Now, depending on when it was planted, some is eaten or flattened, while the rest is standing and being picked away at daily.

This planting fed deer all summer as well with the soybeans, sunn hemp, buckwheat and sunflowers that were drilled with it.
1CD29B5D-A735-4BBD-95D6-E42B73E9C197.jpeg

Mid December WGF Sorghum. Now, depending on when it was planted, some is eaten or flattened, while the rest standing and being picked away at daily View attachment 27780
Wow, that looks great! I would love to be able to get crops like that (deer eat it instead).

I do mine first week of June and don't have a problem with it maturing and producing seed.

For you guys planting Milo, do you plant the same time as you plant corn or are you going by recommendation and waiting until the soil warms to 65 degrees? I don't get to the farm much after planting corn and beans until I hit the first round of spraying. I suppose I could plant it then. I am just concerned with 100 day maturity and I plant 2nd week in June will I have time for full maturity in central, MN
That stuff is cheap enough, I'd go memorial weekend in your area, and perhaps earlier if it's an early and warm spring. Re-do it 2-3 weeks later if the first round didn't take. I bought a 50 lb bag of WFG for $30 just a few years ago, and I think the planting rate is 8 lbs/ac.

What are you guys using for herbicide? I like milo but I have a pig weed problem so I stick with RR corn and beans.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Atrazine and Dual PRE. 2,4-D POST. There are other products registered as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you guys using for herbicide? I like milo but I have a pig weed problem so I stick with RR corn and beans.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
That's part of the reason I want to plant Milo. Then I can spray with 2-4D and kill pigweed. Plus is is good for shading weeds out quickly.

You guys that can kill pigweed with gly and 2,4d are lucky as hell! Keep the Palmer stuff far away from your place. On a side note, my deer graze pigweed like it's the best stuff on earth. They just can't keep up with it well enough to keep it from seeding.

We plant sorghum and just leave it, no spraying nothing...EZ

You guys that can kill pigweed with gly and 2,4d are lucky as hell! Keep the Palmer stuff far away from your place. On a side note, my deer graze pigweed like it's the best stuff on earth. They just can't keep up with it well enough to keep it from seeding.
gly won't touch my pigweed, it laughs at the stuff. On the other hand the 2-4D last year knocked it down like a wrecking ball, great burn down.