All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mile-a-Minute

And thanks for the thread. I see this stuff all over and wish people would get after it..

Reactions: Tap
I thought I was doing this thread to warn and help you guys, but in doing so, maybe my brain got in-gear...might be an acceptable solution. Not what I really want to have to do, but could it work???

Its funny how that works. Just explaining a problem to someone can make the solution easier to find. Its like when I look for something for 10 minutes, ask my wife if she has seen it, then instantly remember where I put it :emoji_astonished:

I don't know anything about Oust. Would it harm crabs from soil activity?
Also never heard of an air blast sprayer. What is it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yes I do know oust will kill fruit trees, I learned that the hard way Dave Jackson from Penn State is really the guy you need to talk to. He has been experimenting with mile a minute control and oust for a long time. As far as the air Blast sprayer, I guess it's actually called a mist blower. Mine is a cifarelli with a 4.5 gallon tank. It can get heavy lugging around in the woods but man does it cover a big area in a short time.

1 oz gly per gallon, give it a test plot try, say an acres worth and see what survives next year, you will be surprised how easy it is killed, and how the good stuff will bounce back.

lower left hand pic has a nice cluster of half ripe berries, blue in color. I have areas way worse than what your pictures show, and only one way to rid that much.
Okay, I'm willing to try a small test spray with gly. I'll stay clear of my more valuable trees and spray the more open areas.
Question: how much coverage does each plant require for a kill? Vines can be 20 feet long or more. Do I need get spray on just a few leaves or a high percentage?

I try for as much as possible, might want to add a sticker as the mam leaves tend to roll water off like a ducks back. you have the time to try a few test applications, 1% gly in a gallon of water and do a full coverage, 50 % and a 25% coverage and go back in two weeks. note coverage and see results. you will also see what else in the range of your spray gets killed, or nearly so.

EDIT: I would love to know where to buy a pound of theese guys and let em go at my place............. http://www.nj.gov/agriculture/divisions/pi/pdf/mileaminute.pdf

Last edited:
Re:fruit trees and herbicide

Like most issues we discuss, LickCreek has covered this well in his threads on growing trees

hard to go wrong by asking "what would Paul do?"

bill

Re:fruit trees and herbicide

Like most issues we discuss, LickCreek has covered this well in his threads on growing trees

hard to go wrong by asking "what would Paul do?"

bill
Thanks. Got any links to those threads?

They were catalogued well on the now defunct QDMA site

Doubletree's corner on Iowa Whietails has most of the subjects

Check the tree planting thread 54 pages of posts!!

bill

I'll have to go for a walk after work. I think I saw some mile a minute at the end of my road. Could be a look a like.

I am with John-W-WI on this invasive. Here in Central WI I have never seen it.

EDIT: I would love to know where to buy a pound of theese guys and let em go at my place.............

Looks like they can be had from labs in NJ and DE. Don't know what the permit process is but it's worth a call or two if you have MAM like Tap does.

http://ag.udel.edu/enwc/research/biocontrol/mileaminute.htm

Thanks for the link Bill.

That link mikmaze posted got me interested. Those test plots in Salem and Glouceter county are with in 25 to 30 minutes of me. Heck I've hunted some of them. From the article it sounded like it would be easy to round up a few. I'm just not sure their still there. It looks like they do a number on the MAM.

In any case I wouldn't start the bulldozer just yet. No way to contain a bug once it's set loose. Once those beetles start to spread its game on. I just hope for the sake of the local winery's they don't like grape vines.

NJ lab is all out of bugs, I will be trying to call and get on a waiting list for next year, they have had some toroubles raising them, cooling towers got messed up and low numbers available was the result. biologist was going to take a walk around my place and check for evidence of the weevils, they ahve been released within 8 miles of my stuff, and they could be there and I just don't know/ havent seenn them.

NJ lab is all out of bugs, I will be trying to call and get on a waiting list for next year, they have had some toroubles raising them, cooling towers got messed up and low numbers available was the result. biologist was going to take a walk around my place and check for evidence of the weevils, they ahve been released within 8 miles of my stuff, and they could be there and I just don't know/ havent seenn them.

Ok then it sounds to me like next spring we need a check list.

Pickup (X)
Map of test sites (X)
Flashlights cause we do this at night (X)
Styrofoam cups with water and honey and a net to cover said cup (X) thats what the pros did to keep the weevils alive

Beer (X)
Maybe a bottle that's clear (X)

Then we need someone with us to explain to the troopers why we're drinking and looking for little beetles. No check there cause my wife won't do it. :) I'll cover all the checks above. You guys get us driver that can explain why a truck full of old guys Is looking for beetles in the middle of night and I'm in. Sounds like fun.

You guys get us driver that can explain why a truck full of old guys Is looking for beetles in the middle of night and I'm in.

If you have the rest, I'll handle the trooper. Sounds like fun. Lets go!

snipe hunt!

If you have the rest, I'll handle the trooper. Sounds like fun. Lets go!

It does actually sound like fun :)
Most troopers around here would have no clue about invasive species eating beetles. I'd love to see someone trying to explain that.....

I'd love to see someone trying to explain that.....

I would love to try, just for the fun of it. But we have to leave the beer home if I'm talking our way out of it (or hide it really well).

-John

I wouldn't be able to drive, my commercial drivers license impairs my ability to drink alcohol.