"Magic Bean": Shade tolerant, medium/fast growing trees or shrubs

BlueSpruceOutfitters

A good 3 year old buck
Hey fellas. I figure this would be a good place to get some ideas from you smart peeps. Here's my predicament:

I want to make my woods a little thicker to encourage a little more daylight activity in my smaller woods section (around 15 acres). It's mainly a hickory/ oak Forest, mature, mostly larger caliber trees. Bordered on the east by a huge CRP bedding area of the neighbors. I have a small food plot in there as well.

My current plan is to prescribed burn the woods in spring and then plant as many seedling trees/ shrubs as I can muster to help thicken the woods up, along with the natural Regen the burn will provide.

Now, here's my main issue. Can't cut down any existing, live trees. Yes. I know thinning them would help a ton but, without getting into it, it's not an option. Lol.

I was thinking American plum, serviceberry or dogwood but, any suggestions would help! Thanks guys!!!

If it’s great big tall mature timber and a closed canopy way up there you’re likely wasting time effort and money. I’ve got blocks of hardwood timber as you describe. Trees 25” in diameter and bigger + greater than 90ft tall will all but shade out and kill everything else.

There’s no understory and can see 100yds down through the timber...for reference a squirrel in the tops of the big oaks and poplars is perfectly safe from a 20ga. If your woods look like this, plantings might not help a lot to thicken things up.

Last edited:
If you can't get sunlight to the understory, you are wasting your time unless you feed shade tolerant shrubs and cage them.

The only shrub I would say would do okay in the shady environment is elderberry. I have it in some very shady areas and it does well. Otherwise you are out of luck I believe.

Both balsam fir & black spruce are very shade tolerant. These could be good choices to fill in under-story and add thermal cover. They will also block open sight lines. Grey dogwood is somewhat tolerant to shade and will grow into thickets.

Although many consider eastern red cedar invasive, it will grow - however slowly - in shaded areas. With a little sunlight each day, and more in the winter, elimination of competition, and a little fertilizer each year ... you can grow them. I've found using landscape fabric, covered with an inch or two of acid neutralizing, calcium carbonate, limestone seems to enhance growth and reduce competition. Attached are photos of ERC in mature woods.

Attachments

• big ERC.JPG
    big ERC.JPG
    497.2 KB · Views: 31
  • line cof cedars 2IMG_2320.JPG
    line cof cedars 2IMG_2320.JPG
    640.9 KB · Views: 32
  • line of ERC.JPG
    line of ERC.JPG
    560.9 KB · Views: 32
Although many consider eastern red cedar invasive, it will grow - however slowly - in shaded areas. With a little sunlight each day, and more in the winter, elimination of competition, and a little fertilizer each year ... you can grow them. I've found using landscape fabric, covered with an inch or two of acid neutralizing, calcium carbonate, limestone seems to enhance growth and reduce competition. Attached are photos of ERC in mature woods.
I have access to hundreds of ERC seedlings but, I can't justify planting them with all my apples around. Trust me. I've been having a mental fight about it. Haha

I second tree spud. My woods when I bought it wasn't logged in over 70+ years.it It was mostly a canopy of red maple,oak, and over mature aspen. I never had any trouble with cover because of the balsam. They thrive in the shade. Winterberry and elderberry do good in the shade too.

Spruce would be a good option. I have some White Spruce and Black Hills Spruce growing in limited sun areas. Great cover

Don’t know your location but in the east mountain laurel grows in the shade. Slow grower though.

Here is an evergreen that will thrive in 5% sunlight. Hemlock.

l3D19gQ.jpg

Thanks for the ideas guys! I just ordered a bunch of hemlock, fir and serviceberry! I'll keep you updated!

Thanks for the ideas guys! I just ordered a bunch of hemlock, fir and serviceberry! I'll keep you updated!
Good luck with your project.i think you will be happy with the results. I have just a handful of large hemlocks. The deer absolutely hammer them as high up as they can reach.i have never seen any seedlings, I believe cause they won't give them a chance. Just something to consider. I have never seen a balsam get browsed.