locks on deer stands

JFK52

5 year old buck +
How many of you have to put locks on your enclosed blinds to keep out unwanted guests? I lock all my blinds year round. Early in my land ownership I had an out of state neighbor comment to me how nice my 25 foot tall 4'x8' enclosed blind was for bird watching. From his comments, I knew he could only know certain facts if he had been INSIDE the blind. After that incident, I put hasps and locks on all of my blinds. I try to keep the lock situation simple, buying locks that are all keyed the same. A few that have separate keys are specially coded and colored to prevent mix ups. If a hunter is going to choose between two blinds to sit in, I make sure he has the proper keys to get into each blind. It is a real hassle and opening locks while on a ladder is something I wish I did not have to do. I should add that I have 18 stands on my land and three of them are ground blinds. As my knees have gotten worse every year, I have taken to building steps with a hand rail to access elevated blinds. I only have 6 stands left that need steps.

Last edited:
I don't but it's probably not a bad idea.

I have a regular exterior locking door knob on my stand. Probably unlikely to have trespassers where it is, but why not. Don't want the heater to walk off. I guess someone could bust out a window if they were a real arse.

Good idea.

That is one thing I have not done yet. I don't have any indication of off-season use by trespassers (we've had to work hard with prosecution to get a handle on trespass). My personal biggest issues is having guests of other owners using mine during the season. My problem is locks is that I don't want to mess with a lock during the season. Don't get me wrong, if a guest of another owner ask my permission I'd be glad to provide it. However, getting into a stand you have been keeping cold for just the right time and realizing that someone has adjusted the windows to fit them is a real letdown.

Having said that, I think I will add hasps and locks for out of season. It is a good idea for liability if nothing else.

Thanks,

jack