All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LIME Pelletized or Bulk

bbcoach

5 year old buck +
We just sent 2 food plot soil samples in and they both came back needing lime. My question is bulk or pelletized? The reason I am asking, I have always used bulk or powered bag lime, normally because of cost. Pelletized is easier to spread though. Does bulk or powered lime neutralize soil better and stay in the soil longer than pelletized or is there no difference? Soil type is sandy loam.

Last edited:
We just sent 2 food plot soil samples in and they both came back needing lime. My question is bulk (powered) or pelletized? The reason I am asking, I have always used bulk or powered bag lime, normally because of cost. Pelletized is easier to spread though. Does bulk or powered lime neutralize soil better and stay in the soil longer than pelletized or is there no difference? Soil type is sandy loam.

I have always been told the bulk Ag lime lasts longer, but you need to wait on an expert to let you know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have always heard the same thing but I wanted to verify. Hope Jack or some of the other Soil Gods would chime in.

I'm weak on soil science, not an authority. I've picked up on some things from others. I'll give you my thoughts for what they are worth. In general, what works faster does so because it dissolves and moves through the soil faster. This generally means it won't last as long as something that dissolves slower and moves through the soil slower. A lot has to do with things like particle size. My thought is "Who Cares?" For a new field that needs a lot of adjustment (say 3 tons or more per acre), it is easy to select crops like buckwheat and winter rye that perform well enough even in soil with poor fertility. Keep in mind, adjusting the pH simply makes it easier for plants to uptake the existing nutrients. By the time you are in year two the lime has had time to amend the soil regardless of the type you apply. For an existing field, there is even less of an issue. If you check pH every few years (depending on soil type) and add lime when about 1 ton per acre is needed, again, most of our deer crops will do just fine and even better as the soil amends.

There may be some extreme cases where the difference between how ag lime and pelletized lime work matters. My soils are largely clay and lime moves slowly. If one had extreme sandy soil you may want to slow movement as much as possible. Few folks have soil that sandy. I'm talking so sandy that they have to add 3 tons of lime per acre immediately before planting both in the spring and again fall. With soil like that, I would probably focus on improving the soil and adding OM until the infiltration slowed rather than planting for deer.

So, when it comes to choosing between ag lime and pelletized lime, for most of us, there are two major consideration that outweigh all else. Cost, and the ability to spread. Ag lime is very sensitive to dampness. If the dampness level is just right, you can spread it with a regular spreader. However, you can never count on what the moisture content in ag lime will be. The only way to spread it other than by hand is to use a lime buggy made for spreading ag lime. They have a very steep V shape and have a chain drive at the bottom of the V that transports the lime out the back where it falls on the spreaders and is distributed. Pelletized lime can be spread with any broadcast spreader. The cost difference may depend on your distance to the quarry but in general ag lime is much less expensive than and equivalent amount of pelletized. In both cases be sure the check the ECCE when doing a comparison and figuring out how much lime you need.

In my case, my local coop will rent me a lime buggy for $50 per day. It is about 10 miles or so from my farm. I use my truck to tow the buggy full of lime back to my farm and then my tractor to apply it. The buggy I rent needs a pto to drive the spinners. It is ground driven so speed does not impact the amount applied. I could have the coop apply the lime using a lime truck. They will do that if I push for it, but most drivers don't like to do food plots. They have to drive from small plot to plot through the woods and do a bunch of backing up to apply it in small fields. This takes a lot more time than when they go to a farm and apply it to a nice big flat 20 acre field. I'm ok with that. The buggy is less expensive but takes more of my time.

Thanks,

Jack

We just sent 2 food plot soil samples in and they both came back needing lime. My question is bulk or pelletized? The reason I am asking, I have always used bulk or powered bag lime, normally because of cost. Pelletized is easier to spread though. Does bulk or powered lime neutralize soil better and stay in the soil longer than pelletized or is there no difference? Soil type is sandy loam.

How big are your plots and how much lime are they recommending? If you need a lot there is no question that ag-lime will be much cheaper...and as others have suggested it is generally considered to stay in your soil much longer.

I last added ag-lime in 2014. At that time it was around $13 per ton and about the same for delivery (from a long ways away). I bought 26 tons. They charged me $4/ton rental on the spreader, so it came to about $30/ton. At $4 per 40# bag of pelletized lime you are looking at $200/ton and you still have to spread it. Last year all of my food plots still had a pH of 6.8 - 7.3 so I think it will still be a long time before I need lime again.

Have the ag-lime delivered:

IMG_0249.jpg

Go pick up the rental spreader:

IMG_0046 (2).jpg

Borrow your neighbors' tractor so you can load the lime into the spreader without unhooking your own tractor:

IMG_3583.jpg

Go spread it and be done with it for many years to come:

IMG_3590.jpg

I have always used ag lime myself, 1. for lower cost per acre 2. I read it stayed in the soil longer (takes a little longer to work but stays in the soil longer) I just put 3 tons of bulk lime on my clover plot (picked up at Farmers coop on a trailer and hand spread with a shovel) a buddy and I can spread a ton in about 30 minutes. We need 2 tons per acre on about a half acre plot, so a ton on each. One plot I can get the trailer into, so we'll probably utilize the bulk ag lime from the coop. The second is a little more remote so we will probably have to go with bags. My biggest question was if ag lime will stay in the soil longer, than I will continue using dolomitic ag lime since the calcium and magnesium are low as well.

That's about the nicest looking lime buggy I've ever seen! The one they give me looks like it was pulled out of a scrap yard. LOL

I am confused(nothing new there) about jacks buggy being ground driven but also requiring a pto. If it is ground driven ,why the need for pto? Just trying to understand how that works. I went back and re read your post and think I got it now---ground driven( moving buggy contents to the spinners) that are spinning from pto spreading the lime. Makes sense now.

Last edited:
I am confused(nothing new there) about jacks buggy being ground driven but also requiring a pto. If it is ground driven ,why the need for pto? Just trying to understand how that works. I went back and re read your post and think I got it now---ground driven( moving buggy contents to the spinners) that are spinning from pto spreading the lime. Makes sense now.

The buggy I rent has a bull wheel that goes against one of the balloon tires that operates the chain belt. The chain turns at a rate scaled with the tire revolutions so regardless how fast or slow you go the same amount of lime is transported out the back for a given amount of ground covered. There is an adjustable door in the back. You adjust the door height to control the amount dispensed per acre. You can drive at any speed comfortable and you will get the whatever amount of lime per acre you have the door set for. When the lime falls off the chain it lands on broadcast spinners that distribute it like any broadcast spreader. These spinners are the only thing driven by the PTO.

This is the particular style of buggy I rent from my coop. There are other styles that may operated differently.

Thanks,

Jack

Ag lime here in Connecticut is $60 per a ton spread.

Ag lime here in Connecticut is $60 per a ton spread.

Ag lime is cheap. There are several factors that go into what you pay. You start with the raw tonnage price of lime. Next you add the cost of transport. That is related to labor rates and cost of diesel in your area. Then for applied, you add the cost of application which is related to the cost of equipment maintenance and labor cost. It can add up. I pay the least per ton if I order it directly from the quarry and have it dumped. The next lowest cost is to buy it from the coop and rent a buggy from them. They factor transport from the quarry to them in their price I the cost of transport from the quarry to me is wear and tear on my truck and fuel. The most expensive is to buy it from the coop and have them apply it. If I had my own lime buggy, I'd just buy from the quarry directly but since I don't I take the middle route. They coop only rents the buggy to folks who buy the lime from them.

Thanks,

Jack