Lifetime QDMA Membership?

I am considering a life membership to the QDMA, but I do not see much information regarding the benefits of this Life membership on their site. I realize I would be donating to the organization, but is there anything else beside a pin and a mug that a life member would then benefit? Are their discounts on seminars and classes? Looking for some info! Thanks everyone!

I'm also a life member. For close to 10 years. I have a 2 foot tall pile of magazines, most of them still in the plastic sleeve they arrived in.

-John

I would send John a postage paid card board box with $100 and he can send you all his all unopened QDMA magazines ... save the $400 for trees on your property and cold beer after you get done planting. :emoji_sunglasses:

If you want to donate money to the top guys at QDMA then buy a life membership, that is about all you will get. Most of the money goes for salaries.

Compare that with a organization such as Pheasants Forever, which has purchased 4 very nice parcels of land within 20 miles of my house, all open to public hunting....to me it is obvious which organization I support.

I am finished with them as well. It now appears to be solely about raising money, not the message. Hopefully they are reading these posts.

I am finished with them as well. It now appears to be solely about raising money, not the message. Hopefully they are reading these posts.

They ain't reading. Lindsey wrote us rat bastards off and never looked back. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Here is QDMA's percentages, (Not from QDMA website). Wasn't around for the closing of the message board or the reasons why, though what folks have said here seems plausable and prolly true and reason enough to take issue with them. However, it does seem the talk about the folks at the top translating your dollars to their personal gain, might be a bit skewed. Enjoy their magazine when I get to read it at a friends- seems pretty good to me...........do enjoy this forum, now that I found it and appreciate the time and expertise given and shared by so many of you.........thanks for being here!!!!

Program Expenses
(Percent of the charity’s total expenses spent on the programs
and services it delivers)
83.4%
Administrative Expenses 4.8%
Fundraising Expenses 11.7%
Fundraising Efficiency $0.20
Working Capital Ratio (years) 0.83
Program Expenses Growth 8.4%
Liabilities to Assets 39.1%

They ain't reading. Lindsey wrote us rat bastards off and never looked back. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
All I will add is that since I went from QDMA to just QDM the only thing that has changed is I don't have a membership fee due or some sort of add for some "service" they provide. Turns out I don't need that logo......

I liked my local banquet but then again I won 3 guns in 2 years.Our chapter president was very active in QDMA and I guess this year theres not even going to be a local banquet.

Here is QDMA's percentages, (Not from QDMA website). Wasn't around for the closing of the message board or the reasons why, though what folks have said here seems plausable and prolly true and reason enough to take issue with them. However, it does seem the talk about the folks at the top translating your dollars to their personal gain, might be a bit skewed. Enjoy their magazine when I get to read it at a friends- seems pretty good to me...........do enjoy this forum, now that I found it and appreciate the time and expertise given and shared by so many of you.........thanks for being here!!!!

Program Expenses
(Percent of the charity’s total expenses spent on the programs
and services it delivers)
83.4%
Administrative Expenses 4.8%
Fundraising Expenses 11.7%
Fundraising Efficiency $0.20
Working Capital Ratio (years) 0.83
Program Expenses Growth 8.4%
Liabilities to Assets 39.1%

I won't bad mouth any individual at QDMA because I have no insight into the positions individuals took behind the scenes in the kitchen where the sausage was made. I will say that the numbers you post above are consistent with the argument of controlling the message. Top charities have a fundraising efficiency between $0 and $0.10. At $0.20, there is plenty of room for improving efficiency. There are many ways to have a poor fund raising efficiency. The worst charities farm out fund raising to companies that take a large cut of the funds. Some very good charities can have a poor fund raising efficiency compared to other good charities simply because they raise funds with many tiny donations from a large base of supporters while others raise funds from a few large donors.

So, if supporting a public forum with posts that discount the need for products of larger supporters causes them to be reluctant, QDMA can afford to lose a fairly significant number of small contributions from disgruntled members and end up both improving their fund raising efficiency as well as the total amount of funds raised presuming larger supporters more than make up for the loss of membership support. That is why I believe that QDMA made the right decision for QDMA but one that is not the best for the mission of advancing QDM.

For those who argue this is for the personal benefit of the leadership, future numbers will tell part of the story. If you see funding efficiency improve and the total funds raised increase while the percentage of administrative costs stay the same or increase, you have at least some support for that argument. The part of the story the numbers won't tell is whether or not side deals between individual QDMA leaders and industry vendors are advantaged.

Thanks,

Jack

I won't bad mouth any individual at QDMA because I have no insight into the positions individuals took behind the scenes in the kitchen where the sausage was made. I will say that the numbers you post above are consistent with the argument of controlling the message. Top charities have a fundraising efficiency between $0 and $0.10. At $0.20, there is plenty of room for improving efficiency. There are many ways to have a poor fund raising efficiency. The worst charities farm out fund raising to companies that take a large cut of the funds. Some very good charities can have a poor fund raising efficiency compared to other good charities simply because they raise funds with many tiny donations from a large base of supporters while others raise funds from a few large donors.

So, if supporting a public forum with posts that discount the need for products of larger supporters causes them to be reluctant, QDMA can afford to lose a fairly significant number of small contributions from disgruntled members and end up both improving their fund raising efficiency as well as the total amount of funds raised presuming larger supporters more than make up for the loss of membership support. That is why I believe that QDMA made the right decision for QDMA but one that is not the best for the mission of advancing QDM.

For those who argue this is for the personal benefit of the leadership, future numbers will tell part of the story. If you see funding efficiency improve and the total funds raised increase while the percentage of administrative costs stay the same or increase, you have at least some support for that argument. The part of the story the numbers won't tell is whether or not side deals between individual QDMA leaders and industry vendors are advantaged.

Thanks,

Jack

perfect evaluation. They went from what was good for the community to what was best for them. Happens all the time. Look at Paul Ryan. He got where he is because he wanted to help the little guy and they paid his way to the big game. When he got where he is the little guy isn't producing the $ so he sold them out.

Different topics---same end game. Follow the money.

Bill told it just like it is "Follow the money".

After what they did to the majority of us I wouldn't give them one red cent. I lived and died by that forum and paid my membership every year just for that. When they took that away I cut ties with them forever.

Last edited:
They may have done what is best for their bottom line today, my bet is it hurts them in the long run. Folks realize the move just wasn't right.

As others have said, who really needs them? After developing a base knowledge and a little experience, most can learn what they can't figure out on their own by using this forum or their state wildlife agencies.

That being said, a big thank you to those responsible for this site. I am surprised it does not have more use, but that is probably because most interested in habitat management already have a solid foundation and are too busy with projects to post here frequently

Be wary of state wildlife agencies.
In some states they are not really interested in managing land for deer, but have different priorities.

Count me as another former member who will never donate another cent.

I am considering a life membership to the QDMA, but I do not see much information regarding the benefits of this Life membership on their site. I realize I would be donating to the organization, but is there anything else beside a pin and a mug that a life member would then benefit? Are their discounts on seminars and classes? Looking for some info! Thanks everyone!

Read the second half of your first sentence. They do not list the benefits on their website.

Plus, there have been almost no positive comments about them here.

I think you have your answer.

They continue to send their magazine out to former members who haven't given them a dime in years. I can only think of two reasons they would do this.

1. They are so poorly run they don't know who has quit them or not.

2. They want to give their advertisers the appearance of an inflated membership. A large membership, even if it is a lie, can command more dollars from their advertisers. I'm sure a full page add by a Buck on Bag seed company costs a significant chunk of cash.

Whether it is number 1 or 2, I have lost all respect for them. I don't care if the QDMA dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is from there website :emoji_slight_smile:
"
Why Join QDMA?
As a QDMA member, you will experience better deer hunting while helping conserve North America’s favorite game animal.
"
If you put up the qdma sign on your property Boone and Crocketts will magically start bedding on your property.

I do like looking at photographs of deer/wildlife and in that sense it does provide value.

Sandbur,
I agree, but will now be accused of blasphemy

My habitat management is not just for deer and other game, but for wildlife conservation in general. I am fairly informed of the state's goals and keep that in mind.

You made a great point, thanks.

Save your money for projects. If you hang around some good habitat forums, you would outgrow QDMA in very short order IMHO.

Save your money for projects. If you hang around some good habitat forums, you would outgrow QDMA in very short order IMHO.

What other "habitat" forums would you recommend?

What other "habitat" forums would you recommend?
There are many, including this one, out there on the web, and everyone should be able to find one to suit their needs, region, and style.