Lease letter templates

Booner21

5 year old buck +
I have found a few places that I am sure no one hunts currently, property owners are not local. I am thinking about attempting to lease them next year. Has anyone has success mailing letters the old fashion way and if so what are your tips? I know a call would probably be better but all I have at this point is a mailing address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've received a few of those letters wanting a lease. I haven't leased anything out to them, but it's not that I wouldn't, just hasn't worked out.

My tips would be: Don't come on too strong. Don't tell them you will treat it like you own it. I don't want my lessee's to treat it like they own it. I want them to treat it like I own it. There is a huge difference.
Also, don't tell them you want to put in food plots, cut trees, mow paths, etc. There could be concerns with crp compliance that a landowner may not want to deal with you in this regard. Think about that after a few years of having the ground.
Offer and help with chores on the farm, they are a lot of work. Don't offer hunters insurance, tell them you'll get it, provide them a copy, add them as additional insured.
Tell them how often and method of hunting.
Don't bring your entire family, your cousin Joey, your 6 friends and your 4 teenage kids. No one wants that kind of liability, nor that many people trampling around on the ground. Hunt it yourself or with 1 buddy for a couple years.
Tell them your age, where you work, and what position you hold. I want to know what responsibilities you have in your work.
Get their number and call them. I can tell a lot about people when I talk to them, they might feel the same way.
That's my tips, for what they are worth....

^^^^ above is good.

Keep from focusing on what you want, ask more questions about them and their land. Let them know how you will restrict yourself to a certain purpose on their property.

I receive these letters occasionally and, for some older owners, their land is very important to them. A brief introductory letter is a good thing as a cold call can catch them off guard.

I believe - BY FAR - the best thing you can provide when seeking permission to hunt on any property is a liability waiver that protects the land owner. I had an attorney draw one up for my use and it has been very beneficial in securing permission to hunt or fish on several properties for upland game, migratory waterfowl, and predators like crows. Since the signed waiver covers only me as the person affixing signature, I assure them I will hunt/fish alone AND contact them to secure permission if I want to bring a relative or close friend as a guest. Frequently, I'm the only person they will grant permission; I believe they view me as responsible and it gives them an excuse to deny others. I also have my insurance agent send them a letter indicating the existence of my 1M umbrella liability policy. The owners of properties providing excellent opportuunities for outdoor recreation (hunting/fishing) are remembered generously at Christmas and with cards on special occasions like anniverseries, birthdays, special achievements, etc as I gain information about them. Over time, you often become very good friends; I have some who call me when waterfowl are using they fields or ponds. As others have noted, it is very useful to be helpful to them if possible. Cultivating opportunities is work that often pays handsome dividends. :emoji_relaxed:

Last edited: