LC Mix Question

Hayes

Yearling... With promise
Okay, so I disclaimer... I am 100% new to this site. Years ago I came across the LC Mix on the QDMA forum and wanted to implement it then but just never went through with it. After spending many hours on fields over the past 3-4 weeks I am ready to start a pilot program. So I tried to go back to the QDMA forum I remembered finding the info on and could not locate it. SO I did a search and found several threads on this site. I was unable to locate exactly what I was looking for though. I am hoping one of you can help me.

This was probably 5-8 years ago when I first stumbled across the LC mix. But the detail that his post went into with pictures and results showing the soil composition change was amazing. I can remember the first year it was basically red clay and several years later the top soil layer was a rich brown down several inches. I can remember he layed out a spring /summer plant guide and a fall/winter plant guide and what exactly to do. That's what I am looking for. I need pretty detailed information. I would love to be able to see his post if someone happened to save it somewhere. Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Okay, so I disclaimer... I am 100% new to this site. Years ago I came across the LC Mix on the QDMA forum and wanted to implement it then but just never went through with it. After spending many hours on fields over the past 3-4 weeks I am ready to start a pilot program. So I tried to go back to the QDMA forum I remembered finding the info on and could not locate it. SO I did a search and found several threads on this site. I was unable to locate exactly what I was looking for though. I am hoping one of you can help me.

This was probably 5-8 years ago when I first stumbled across the LC mix. But the detail that his post went into with pictures and results showing the soil composition change was amazing. I can remember the first year it was basically red clay and several years later the top soil layer was a rich brown down several inches. I can remember he layed out a spring /summer plant guide and a fall/winter plant guide and what exactly to do. That's what I am looking for. I need pretty detailed information. I would love to be able to see his post if someone happened to save it somewhere. Thank you so much in advance for your help.
Here is Paul's planting guide for his rotation.

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or crimson and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot...we use 50# each rye, oats and peas along with radish and clover seed all planted in half of each feeding area

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 50-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Frostmaster Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre

Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28 but for best results soil test and add only what is necessary.

Rotate the brassicas and rye combo each year

Welcome aboard Hayes. Luckily most of LC's best info was saved and is available here. Lots of additional knowledge on this board as well.

What about the spring mix/summer mix? I could have sworn he has a mix he did in the spring and one in fall.

What about the spring mix/summer mix? I could have sworn he has a mix he did in the spring and one in fall.
I'm not sure if he had a specific spring/summer mix I know he planted plots for others and he would plant whatever the customer wanted so he might have had several spring/summer mixes.

I'm not sure if he had a specific spring/summer mix I know he planted plots for others and he would plant whatever the customer wanted so he might have had several spring/summer mixes.
Im almost certain he had a summer plot that would coincide with the winter plot to add nutrition and value to the soil and in late summer/early fall would spray it and seed the fall/winter but again this was a long time ago.

Here is Paul's planting guide for his rotation.

Plant ALL in one plot in strips or blocks

Alice, Kopu II, Durana (or comparable) white clover 10% of plot, sow at 6#'s per acre with the rye combination in the fall or in the spring with oats and berseem clover. Correct Ph and P&K with soil tests

Brassicas in 45% of plot

Purple Top Turnips 3#
Dwarf Essex Rape 2#
GroundHog Forage radish 5#

Plant in mid to late July in most Midwest states, or 60-90 days before your first killing frost, Use 200#'s of 46-0-0 urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28 per acre. Follow the dead brassicas with oats and berseem or crimson clover in mid spring at 60#'s oats and 12-15#'s berseem clover and/or crimson and/or 50#'s of chickling vetch)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot...we use 50# each rye, oats and peas along with radish and clover seed all planted in half of each feeding area

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 50-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Frostmaster Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre

Red Clover 8-12#'s per acre or white clover at 6#'s per acre (or 20-40 pounds hairy vetch and 20-30#'s crimson clover on sandy soils)
Groundhog Forage Radish 5#'s per acre

Plant in late August to early September, if following well fertilized brassicas use 100 - 200#'s of urea, if starting a new plot add 400#'s of 6-28-28 but for best results soil test and add only what is necessary.

Rotate the brassicas and rye combo each year
This was done as no till correct? Just spray with gly and seed then bush hog if my memory serves me correct.

This was done as no till correct? Just spray with gly and seed then bush hog if my memory serves me correct.
I don't think he ever did a throw and mow but I can tell you that you can do his rotation throw and mow and it works good.

I don't think he ever did a throw and mow but I can tell you that you can do his rotation throw and mow and it works good.
The thread I remember was strictly a TNM. Thanks for all your help.

You made it to the right place, Hayes. These guys will sort you out. Look into what Baker and Dipper have been up to as well. Those guys are at the tip of the spear right now in my humble opinion.

Also... Welcome to the best place on the internet. I'm excited to read your future posts.

Boy this refreshed my memory and a matter of fact i believe Crimson N Camo was part of the thread on the old qdma forum and maybe it was him that doign all that picture posting of soil changes and not LC> THanks guys.

Boy this refreshed my memory and a matter of fact i believe Crimson N Camo was part of the thread on the old qdma forum and maybe it was him that doign all that picture posting of soil changes and not LC> THanks guys.

I think CnC’s thread is the one you were remembering the most. LC provides the general structure to a good diverse rotation before his passing, and CnC, @Baker, and the guys on here just ran with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk