Layered Rye

Scott S

5 year old buck +
Hello again,

I know that there are varied opinions on here regarding Mr. Sturgis and his advice.

What are your thoughts on his "Layered Rye" approach?

https://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/blog/winter-rye-layered-food-plot-progression

I'm trying to decide if I should follow this advice, or just seed once at the end of August as I did last year.

Any and all opinions are appreciated.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Well, nothing wrong with the concept, but the question is whether the benefit is worth the cost (effort). I'm a Winter Rye guy, but I don't plant it alone. I typically use a cover crop mix of PTT/WR/CC. Probably the optimal way to do it for my area is to plant the PTT component in August and then come in and plant the WR and CC in early September. This gives the PTT time to produce large tubers. They provide the post season food source in my area. The early season is covered by WR and late season is covered by the PTT forage. The Crimson Clover covers well into the next spring in my area. Finding a mix of complementary crops that peak at different times gives the same effect. However, I don't always have time to plant PTT and then come back later and plant WR. I often plant them together. Nothing changes except the tubers are smaller.

I buy that it will fill any bare spots you missed the first time the 300 lbs an acre he suggest is a bit absurd. I’ve never been above 100 pounds in total per acre and have always had a really good stand. I mix in clover and Radish though.

I do this to a degree. I planted a mix Monday evening of AWP, PTT, GHR, Balansa Clover, and oats. This is a half acre plot. I planted at 50# AWP ,10# oats, and less than a pound each of the brassica and clover. I went heavy on the peas figuring there will be plenty of browse pressure and light on the others leaving room for a 9/1 over seeding of 50# VNS Winter Rye. This is the first year doing this so time will tell.

Next year I will be doing a TNR plot into the standing rye and 100#/acre is more than an adequate rate already. Plus I dont see the rye being a huge draw anyway no mater how I plant it. (i don't even plant it with the intention of the deer eating it)

My plan is to plat labor day (rye and radishes), then come back 3 ish weeks later and see how the plot is doing. If it is spotty I will layer another 100lbs of Rye.

Ray

I planted a diverse mix of cereal grain (including rye), clovers, and brassicas last September. By November the plot was a little thin so I added another 20 pounds of cereal rye on .6 acre. Glad I did, can’t imagine that’s a bad plan, especially if you need to fill in some bare ground later in the fall. I’m in 6b so some growth is likely all winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in my fourth year using the basic cereal grain mix. Ive settled on 100 lbs of rye per acre, 50 pounds of oats, a mix of red and white clovers and 5 lbs forage radish. Even last year with, as Bill puts it, scorched earth conditions, here in Missouri I’ve had really thick plots of rye on very poor soil. The layered approach sounds great. In my limited experience, for my purposes, I don’t really see the need. I don’t know what I’m doing and I can’t seem to mess up growing this mix. I’ve also added peas to the mix but they get eaten up fast and with my soil I don’t think the peas respond very well. Working on making better soil but that’s going to take time. In the mean time - I can’t complain about winter rye in this mix. For whatever that’s worth, in the spring my rye is really thick at 100 pounds per acre. I can’t imagine how it would be at three times that amount. It might be too much for my small equipment.

I wouldn’t come CLOSE to his poundage, but if you have bare spots overseeding will help.

I must say, though... the more videos he turns out recently, the less and less I listen to anything he says. Every other video spends the first 5 minutes convincing you he came up with every idea out there back in the 90’s. It is becoming a broken record.

Don't waste your time. Plant your red clover & PTT in early August, I actually plant my PTT no later July 1st to give it time to produce tubers and not risk rain fall shortages in an Aug only planting. Plant 3-4 lbs each per acre.

Then over seed with 60-100 lbs WR in 1st week of Sept. As stated above, 300 # cereal grain and 10 # per acre radish is ridiculous.

I must say, though... the more videos he turns out recently, the less and less I listen to anything he says. Every other video spends the first 5 minutes convincing you he came up with every idea out there back in the 90’s. It is becoming a broken record.

Just like the QDM magazine articles, cut & paste from info from places like here ... whats next "How to plant your Zen Rye food plot" ... :emoji_rolling_eyes:

This is the greatest place on the internet. Thank you all.

I have tried this method and it works great in my opinion. I don’t layer the whole plot, I layer in strategic spots in front of stands. You can do that fairly cheap. My observation is that the deer are definitely attracted to the areas of thicker rye. The thicker the better.

Thanks, Buckly. Cost isn't much of a concern. I'm more worried about too much intrusion pressure. NH bow season starts 9/15. I'm not sure I want to be marching around flinging seed when i would be better off hunting, or staying the hell out of there waiting for good hunting conditions.

Thanks again.

Thanks, Buckly. Cost isn't much of a concern. I'm more worried about too much intrusion pressure. NH bow season starts 9/15. I'm not sure I want to be marching around flinging seed when i would be better off hunting, or staying the hell out of there waiting for good hunting conditions.

Thanks again.
It can be a concern. I have a camera in every plot. I check them once a week right through until December. Middle of the day and drive up with ranger and check camera card. It takes about 30 seconds to spread seed in front of stands and I’m there anyway. Boots, hands, nothing touches the ground or anything. Always from the EV. And I’ve never had a problem but, that’s my situation and I do have extreme low impact access to these plots. Although I’ve been known to spread lime on opening day of archery. LOL. The deer are undisturbed at all other times. I never hunt early. All my hunting takes place the first 2 weeks of November and I do not deviate from the plan.

If it's a good idea in September, it was a great idea in August.

I haven't had luck with brassicas mixed with cereals at the same time. The brassicas never seem to get ahead of the cereals. Now, I plant the brassicas 80-90 days before first frost. Give them a three week head start and then come back with a full rate of cereals. 60-70 days has been good for me to get good tonnage outta oats and even gives you some wiggle room in case you don't get a good germinating rain right away. But then again, that is also what rye is for.

I didn't look at the link as I've come to pay little attention to anything Sturgis says. But for me a related fact this year is the quote I just got on Elbon Rye was over...

$100 per 50lbs!!!!!

Since I was planning to buy 130 bags think I will go with wheat.

Did he really propose 300 lbs/acre rye----goood grief

I didn't look at the link as I've come to pay little attention to anything Sturgis says. But for me a related fact this year is the quote I just got on Elbon Rye was over...

$100 per 50lbs!!!!!

Since I was planning to buy 130 bags think I will go with wheat.

Did he really propose 300 lbs/acre rye----goood grief

That rye would be so thick you could build an elevated box blind on top of it.

Well, at that rate you should NOT have a weed problem----Holy overkill batman!