All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest Dropping Apple Trees

PrairieShadow

5 year old buck +
I know there are quite a few variables but what have you guys found to be the latest dropping cold Hardy (Zone3-4) apple tree?

The ones that are on my radar right now are:

Prairie Spy
Snow Sweet
Regent
Frostbite
Keepsake
Fireside
Haralson

That looks like a good list, I have some of those planted myself. You might want to also consider Wickson (zone 3), IdaRed (zone 3), Kerr (zone 3), and Galarina (zone 4). All these trees usually hold well into January for me and should be suitable for your region.

Half the time, you have to take what’s available. Good luck, keep us posted.

And try and get them on cold hardy full size rootstock like Antonvka or Malus Dolgo, or any other good northern varieties.
Why do so many nurserys/Conservation districts not list the root stock? My CD has ZERO idea if it's even grafted.

Am I going to be sorry if i order on b9 or g41? Seems to be the only thing in stock anywhere i look right now.

Last edited:
I can’t speak for H2O, but I’m thinking you’ll be very disappointed with the b9 and g41. Both are “dwarf” rootstocks more suitable for high density, commercial orchard. They usually require support trellising and are only one third the size of a standard tree. Personally, I like P.18, B.118, and MM.111 rootstocks, but there are other “standard” and “semi-standard” ones the will work too. Below might be useful…

Rootstock chart 01.JPGRootstock chart 02.JPG

I would order standard root stocks when available for up north but if a given apple verity was only available in a dwarfing root stock that I really wanted to try. I may still try it just bury the graft a couple inches deep when you plant it. The scion will self root loosing any dwarfing characteristics but you won’t have latent graft failure. I would suggest burying the graft even on standard trees.

These directions are straight from SLN website saying to bury the graft.

Should all be good to zone 3

Chestnut crab apple
Dolgo crab apple
Connel Red apple(late drop)
Freedom apple (late drop)
Frostbite apple (late drop)
Haralson apple
Jonamac apple (late drop)
Wealthy apple
Keepsake apple (late drop)
Honeycrisp apple
Macfree apple
Northern spy apple(late drop)
Northwestern Greening (late drop)
Prairie Spy (late drop)
Winter wildlife crab (late drop)

Connel red and Fireside are the same tree

What would be a good late dropping crabapple for zone 7?

Sorry to highjack the thread, Prairie

I love repeating this but if I could only have one variety it would be Kerr. Zone 3, disease resistant, tough as nails and drops until December.

Glad to see some of my choices on your list kerr,wickson ,dolgo , i also have some arkansaa black im hoping will hang longer most on m111 b118 i got few on antonoka but at year 8 still waiting but great sturdy trees zone

Zone 7 apples are good but you have pears, persimmons,and chestnuts to choose from also. Northern guys are pretty limited to what they can grow, apples do well that far north. There are a few zone 3 pears also might be worth a try I planted 3 verities of pears 25 years ago in zone 3 two of them died one still kicking but it’s not a self fruitful verity so not much for pears. I should probably order a couple of the cooler zone pears myself and try again.

Centennial, Kerr, Bastian orange are all gone by late Aug here, just north of KY/TN line, on the Zone 6/7 interface. Few ArkBlack still hanging. But...Callaway is still loaded today, 10 Dec.

Last edited:
Connel red and Fireside are the same tree

Isn’t there some kind of difference? I planted a Connell Red last spring and it did well (survived a drought)!