Late but happy

rocksnstumps

5 year old buck +
About the latest I have seen pears blossom around here is this year. Cleaned out around this old wild pear tree about 5 years ago when I first noticed some blossoms where I had been looking for at least ten years going up my hill and never saw anything. This tree is easily pushing 50 ft high. Hard to believe you can't notice a 50 ft tree. It had a tough start where it was centered in a trio of elms that finally bit it with DED. As they died off this tree was able to get some more light and likely flowered for the first time in decades as this ridge was clearcut in the late 60s and likely from soon after. Now five years later it is coming on strong. Just some hope for you folks who find a tree buried in your woods and best thing to do is give it some sunlight

DSC01439 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
How many morels did you find in there?

Sadly the morel pickings are slim. Only found a couple over the last dozen years. Did just find some pheasant backs today but too big and old.

That is a nice find, sunlight does wonders. I've noticed everything is a week to 10 days late here too.

Just glad everything decided to hold off and not get frosted out. We had 4 days in a row of frosts 2nd week of May which is about the normal time for pear bloom here.

Last year most of May was cold and wet with little sun and had trees bloom later too. Noticed last fall many trees held fruit much later than normal. Wonder if we get another repeat fall 2020

Nothing wrong with a latter blossoming tree to have in the mix, no/less frost issues ... will be a tree to watch - nice find