Lane cleanup close to rifle season?

bjseiler

5 year old buck +
Northern Indiana. Getting close to rut. Rifle season is in two weekends.

I was out last week and there are trees down in two of my main shooting lanes. I know some people believe in staying out of their place as much as possible leading into rut but I'd really like to have those lanes cleared..... Would you take the chainsaw in for an hour this weekend or just live without it?

Jeez that's a dilemma. I would probably go in around noon and cut the lanes.

Honestly if it were me I’d start the saw at the truck and make as much noise as possible all the way in and out.

Yep, I agree with Bill and Telemark. Go in around noon and make noise all the way in and out.

I actually did the same on Saturday. Came in on my SxS, left it running, cut the tree down that was in the way, and drove out. Actually bumped a doe coming in. Been checking my cell cameras and it didn’t seem like it made much difference. They were back in the same area within hours of me leaving.

I’d rather bump some deer than to have something in the way when an opportunity arises. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I think that is what I'll do. I'm having friends in for our first deer camp ever and I want to make sure there are opportunities.

Are you letting them shoot antlerless deer?

Yes, but Rifle license in Indiana is buck only. You'd have to have an anterless tag or bundle license to get a doe.

Yes, but Rifle license in Indiana is buck only. You'd have to have an anterless tag or bundle license to get a doe.

If you are hunting antlerless deer then I would definitely clear the lanes. If you're only hunting bucks with rifles, I think there is a bit more room for debate.