All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Landscape fabric

NorthWI

5 year old buck +
What landscape fabric do you all use around your trees? Last year I used some middle of road stuff from Menards and it looks like swiss cheese this spring. I did not have any gravel over the fabric last year. I will be adding it this year because of the information I have learned from this site maybe that will help keep the fabric protected..

Lumite is pretty tough and doesn't require gravel. Just staple it down and forget it. Not really cheap though. If using other types from the big box stores you'll probably need a covering (gravel or mulch).

Shaw Fabrics

This is similar and cheaper.

X Cell fabric

Last edited:
I use Shaw’s fabric and have had good results with it. I use stone on top of it as well.

I'm with Scott44 in that 4' wide is ideal since you can cut 4' squares which makes a pretty good mat. Obviously, what he lists works well for him (4' X 300 ft); however, it is described as 5-year mat. You can purchase 20-yr material (250' x 4' needle-punched weed mat material) for as little as $145. Since I am a one-and-done tree planter, I go for the heavier stuff. To each his own; if it works well for Scott ... I say have at it. :emoji_relaxed:

TenPoint's sources - especially Shaws - provide essentially the same thing ... even less expensive for 20-yr, 4' X 250 premium material

https://www.greenhousemegastore.com...MI7d_WtJuA6QIVR9bACh29JgPZEAQYASABEgIu9PD_BwE

Last edited:
Thank you for your replys these look like some good products

Thanks Scott! I see this outfit is out of Stanley Wisconsin I will definitely be ordering from them.

The original owner started this site.