Land Prices - down?

SFIA survived when the forestry interests told the DNR their roads would be gated. All deer hunters would have to walk on any potlatch etc to deer hunt.

The reason a lot of these programs are in place is this. We are born to pillage and destroy the land and only our greed of money will stop that feeling. Hence the reason the government pays us to manage our land the way they see fit. Look at the RDO company and others clearing forests to make farm land. The gov wants some sort of control to keep us from losing all the forest like south america.

The reason a lot of these programs are in place is this. We are born to pillage and destroy the land and only our greed of money will stop that feeling. Hence the reason the government pays us to manage our land the way they see fit. Look at the RDO company and others clearing forests to make farm land. The gov wants some sort of control to keep us from losing all the forest like south america.
I hope we can save some of those lands for public hunting, but keep them out of the Wildlife Management Area system. I would much rather see someone else manage them.
I see too many of these Wildlife areas managed for grasslands without enough winter cover for pheasants or even for deer.

This might be brought up at the Region 5 MDHA meeting....but won't be popular with some state managers whoa re usually there.

Funny...my late wife and I used to beatch to ourselves about property taxes and the fact that the vast majority of them (in WI) go directly to the public school system. We didn't have kids...why should we pay for those who did?

Now I look at my taxes here and wonder just what the heck I'm getting? Last year I had to plow a little over a mile of the dirt road we live on so my wife could get to the highway...that was about 40 hours after a snowfall :rolleyes: The township doesn't maintain our ROW....I do. My stepkids are adults and don't use the LP school district. Maybe 2-3 times a year the township grades the road we live on....that's about the extent of the "services" I get.

Just what the heck do I get for my taxes?
You get another tax statement the next year! And area management that does not focus on deer.

I hope we can save some of those lands for public hunting, but keep them out of the Wildlife Management Area system. I would much rather see someone else manage them.
I see too many of these Wildlife areas managed for grasslands without enough winter cover for pheasants or even for deer.

This might be brought up at the Region 5 MDHA meeting....but won't be popular with some state managers whoa re usually there.

Should have been brought up 50 years ago before a lot of those management areas turned into wildlife deserts. JMO

Funny...my late wife and I used to beatch to ourselves about property taxes and the fact that the vast majority of them (in WI) go directly to the public school system. We didn't have kids...why should we pay for those who did?

Now I look at my taxes here and wonder just what the heck I'm getting? Last year I had to plow a little over a mile of the dirt road we live on so my wife could get to the highway...that was about 40 hours after a snowfall :rolleyes: The township doesn't maintain our ROW....I do. My stepkids are adults and don't use the LP school district. Maybe 2-3 times a year the township grades the road we live on....that's about the extent of the "services" I get.

A less empty wallet than if you were still in scony!

I don't think it makes sense to manage land for deer when the plan is to kill all of them. Ripley is full of new growth from what I have been told. Excessive antler less makes the habitat condition meaningless?

One hell of a cosmo lifestyle in Minneapolis if you're into that. No better place in the midwest to rollerblade or ride a bicycle either. But if you're not weird or devoid of hobbies, you're not getting much.

MN has some high costs for roads and road maintenance. With the winters we have.....our roads don't last the way they do in warmer climes. Midwestern kids are better educmucated than most of the rest of the country. But largely.....we just squander our money like the rest of the country. The metro area gets the goods.....and we outstate folks gets the bill.

One hell of a cosmo lifestyle in Minneapolis if you're into that. No better place in the midwest to rollerblade or ride a bicycle either. But if you're not weird or devoid of hobbies, you're not getting much.

I spent the Tuesday in Minneapolis at a recruiting event for accounting internships and entry level jobs. It is tough to find people interested in living 60 miles from Minneapolis in a town of 15k people.

You guys are reminding me of how I have to send a check for the 2nd 1/2 of taxes on our 40 that went up almost 100% when we bought it from my parents. It had been ag-homestead when they owned it even though it was all woods with a small cabin. We paid $875 an acre in 2013, it could have probably sold for $1,000 an acre due to having the cabin and good access, so we got a little bit of a discount. We were also able to get favorable financing, but if we didn't have our financials in order in the first place, it wouldn't have mattered what the financing was like, because you still have to have the $ available to pay. We have had some luck but careful planning made it possible to buy when we were 25 years old. And we want to be in a position to buy again in a few years if something comes up.

Most hunting land I see selling in our area goes for $600-$800 an acre depending on access, low ground, etc. 10 years ago the highest priced parcels sold for almost $1,800 an acre, but those were usually 40s or even 20s that people wanted to build on. I don't think larger parcels of >100 acres sold for more than around $1,300 an acre. 160 acres sold this summer nearby for $656 an acre. Some low ground and one 40 had poor access. Not a place most guys here would be interested, the guy that bought was paying cash and it bordered his other 200+ acres. The seller said whitetail properties told him they would list it for $1,000 an acre, but he must have known that number was way too high.

One farmer from Chisago county bought 240 acres of some of the nicest fields around a few miles from us in spring of 2014 for 1,000 an acre. He hasn't even been able to get the first crop of hay off in 2014 or 2015. To actually make money farming in our area you would need to be buying land a lot closer to $600 an acre, and actually farm it!

Is there any other state in the country you can buy deer land for $600 an acre?

MN roads...every winter I get reminded why WI's taxes are higher than MN's. The roads here suck arse compared to WI's :rolleyes: Poorly maintained, poorly plowed, poorly sanded/salted
I have seen this first hand when we get heavy overnight snowfalls in the winter. The guys I work with from the WI side of the river make it to work on time without any issues, while the guys across the river in Houston Co are snowed in until at least 10am the morning after the snow event, sometimes longer. I have also had the pleasure of visiting that lovely Mall you have during a mild blizzard. I crossed from Hudson, WI into MN on I-94 and as soon as I hit MN, it was like I drove onto the road that the Ice Road Truckers travel on to cross the damn tundra. Ridiculous! The on/off ramps weren't even touched with a plow and it was at like 10am?!?o_O :confused:

It has to have a deer on it to call it "deer land"!

And yes, it is getting very close to that for even smaller acreages in the northern tier of WI counties. I have seen it going regularly for around $800 an acre for 20 acre parcels, larger ones are the same or cheaper. Problem is, there aren't any deer up there either unless you live in the Superior Metro area.

If I was a deer realtor in MN I would have custom boots that had a deer track tread on the bottom. Doe with triplets on the right foot and a 300 pound buck track on the left.

If I was a deer realtor in MN I would have custom boots that had a deer track tread on the bottom. Doe with triplets on the right foot and a 300 pound buck track on the left.
OR, give it up and go to work at MacD's.

Did anyone see this article from this past spring:

http://www.startribune.com/dnr-accelerates-cutting-of-pines-bowing-to-financial-pressure/304949441/

Meanwhile, red pine is a hot commodity for mills. Cass Forest Products in Cass Lake, Minn., just paid $290,000 for all the Norway pine on a 71-acre site just north of Crow Wing County’s town of Crosslake. Boe said the bid was 120 percent over the appraised value of the stand. Under the contract, trees that were planted by the Civilian Conservation Corps at least 65 years ago will be left as 12-inch stumps.

$4,000 an acre for red pine? It appears there is still some money out there for timber. Why didn't grandpa plant the crappy farm land in our area into white and red pines years ago :D.

^^^have you spent any time in Vilas and/or Oneida counties Jeff? If not, do so before you decide on "where" in WI. Deer hunting won't be much better than here, but that part of WI is truly (IMHO) the best part of the state aesthetically.

Oh...and if you like supper clubs (a rare commodity here apparently) that make some kicka$$ cocktails and top notch food...you'll like that area too ;)

Being a Packer fan is easy :D
I agree with everything in this post stu! My wife's still has family up in Arbor Vitae and her grandparents lived right in Minocqua. Bosacki's Boathouse is the shiznitz for sure! I think it has changed hands recently and it is called the Fantastic Old Bar at the Boathouse now.

EDIT: The fishing is pretty good on many of the small area lakes as well.

^^^ a lot more than 2 hours. Still, worth checking it out sometime Jeff...truly the "Wisconsin northwoods experience". I think it takes me 5 hours from here to St. Germain (border of Vilas/Oneida counties)
Stop talking about it damnit! My wife is going up next week to visit her aunt because her mother is in town from Florida and I will be stuck at work!:mad:

Real easy to spend a couple week vacation up in that area and not get bored with the accommodations and eating establishments, that's for sure! Snowmobiling Capitol of the WI northwoods right over in Eagle River as well.