KS guys what is blooming?

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
I was through eastern KS this weekend and see there is a woody shrub that is blooming. White to a pale cream color on 5-8' tall shrub. Mostly in fence lines. Looks like it grows well anywhere dry or wet location. What is it? Always interested in planting things that do well on high pH soils

Chris, did it look like this?

lVgjpq1.jpg

Chris, did it look like this?

lVgjpq1.jpg
Blooming everywhere here in VA.

I have a couple on my property and was getting ready to start googling to find out what it is.

Blooming everywhere here in VA.

I have a couple on my property and was getting ready to start googling to find out what it is.

Elderberry. That is a wild one in my ditch farming project.

Elderberry. That is a wild one in my ditch farming project.
Nice! This is the first year ive seen them bloom on my property. I did some hinging and TSI 2 years ago so they just popped up this year.

It’s great walking along and finding something new that I didn’t know I had on the property.

I didnt think it was Elderberry at least didnt look like what I am used to seeing here. Patches were more open, not that thick, and it was growing in places that wouldnt grow Elderberry here. Hard to tell at 65 mph and didnt have a chance to stop and look at it closer. I am leaning towards rough leave dogwood.

Last edited:
I believe it is common ninebark or at least that is what I was under the impression it was. I have quite a bit of it in bloom on my place right now

I believe it is common ninebark or at least that is what I was under the impression it was. I have quite a bit of it in bloom on my place right now
After googling common ninebark the images dont seem to match what I was seeing. The stems/trunks seemed to have larger diameter than that and the growth I would say was not as dense. However those things could be influenced by the climate and location of where the plants were growing. If you have the time would you post up a picture or two of it?

I won’t be home in the daylight till tomorrow. Getting ready to board a flight to get me home in a bit.

The bloom is almost done
IMG_3926.JPGIMG_3927.JPGIMG_3928.JPGIMG_3929.JPG

Pretty sure that is dogwood. On the dogwods if you pull the leaves apart the leaf veins will kind of stretch like rubber bands while the rest of the leaf rips. I am pretty sure now that what I saw while driving in KS was dogwood, likely grey or rough leaved. I have one random clump of grey dogwood at the farm here and I noticed it was flowering yesterday. Maybe Native Hunter will chime in he is the resident "I know that plant" man.