All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Killing Ferns

MojoRisin

5 year old buck +
I disced and planted a recently widened trail this spring. I did not get a soil sample but will be getting one in July. I have laid lime and know it likely needs more. I planted clover and buckwheat and it is doing OK for the most part. I am getting some ferns (mostly around the edges) which used to rule this trail. I plan on a July spraying with Poast and 24db to handle grasses and weeds and then I plan to spread more clover and WR (as a cover crop) in August. My question is, will the 24db take care of the ferns or will I need something stronger?

You are likely talking about brackenfern. It won't be a problem in the fall and 24db should kill it. You will always be battling weeds with spring planted clover.

You are likely talking about brackenfern. It won't be a problem in the fall and 24db should kill it. You will always be battling weeds with spring planted clover.

Yes, brackenfern. And yes, I knew what I was up against with a spring plot but I live 3.5hrs from camp and have more time to dedicate in the spring and I just wanted to get something in the ground. It'll get sprayed and fall planted too. I just wanted to be sure 24db would be strong enough. Right now, I have no grasses in there and the only weeds are the ferns but I expect it to get worse. As always, I greatly appreciate the info.

Most of the new plots I have opened up have come back with ferns right away too. I have always just treated them with Glyphosate but it does take 2 or 3 years to get rid of them it seems. For this reason I usually just plant annuals for the first 2-3 years until I get weeds under control and then plant the perennials.

I spray them with gly, plant winter rye, and lime, for the first couple years, then the ferns dont seem to bother much. But if you still have ferns in the wooded area, they will creep back in time. Just keep up the ph, and spraying. To be honest, I think the winter rye helps a lot.