Killed the invasive grasses...now what?

Mike Bolin

5 year old buck +
Last year I had a small (1/8 acre or a bit more) clover plot that was over run with smartweed and Japanese stilt grass. I was unable to get to the property from late July until the 3rd week of August and the invasives just smothered out the clover. I mowed it, but I was just too late. Like much of the Midwest (I'm in west central Indiana), we have had a lot rain this spring and so far this summer. Seemed like every time I sprayed we would get an unscheduled monsoon! I finally got a good burn on it and I am wondering what the next move should be. The thatch is pretty thick and I'm not sure about disking it in as so much of it is smartweed and some of it had flowered by the time the weather let me get it killed. I don't want to mow it and spread the smartweed seeds. I made that mistake before. My first thought is to burn it. Would that be a viable option? Looks like I might have 3 dry days in a row so I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

Gonna have to remove the thatch somehow. Fire is a great way to do it.

Last year I had a small (1/8 acre or a bit more) clover plot that was over run with smartweed and Japanese stilt grass. I was unable to get to the property from late July until the 3rd week of August and the invasives just smothered out the clover. I mowed it, but I was just too late. Like much of the Midwest (I'm in west central Indiana), we have had a lot rain this spring and so far this summer. Seemed like every time I sprayed we would get an unscheduled monsoon! I finally got a good burn on it and I am wondering what the next move should be. The thatch is pretty thick and I'm not sure about disking it in as so much of it is smartweed and some of it had flowered by the time the weather let me get it killed. I don't want to mow it and spread the smartweed seeds. I made that mistake before. My first thought is to burn it. Would that be a viable option? Looks like I might have 3 dry days in a row so I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

You have a 1/8 acre spot ... sorry ... it can be burned, but is a spot that is about the size of a basketball court. Windblown seed, animals dragging seed in, etc. etc,

If you want avoid repeating the experience you describe above, forget the food plot idea this season. You have a seed bank that needs to be dealt with.

You need to till the soil and brake the thatch layer. This will put the biomass into the soil and then you will raise the seed bed again. Wait 2-3 weeks for all the weeds & grasses to re-emerge ... spray them again.

Repeat above 2-3 times until see less & less re-emerges.

Broadcast red clover & WR in early Sept.

Plan on repeating above regularly ...

You have it burned down. Plant brassica seed as soon as there is rain in the forecast. It will germinate nearly before your eyes and shade out most anything. Late August broadcast your clover and winter rye. I'm not going to tell you It will be a picture perfect clover plot next year. I'm also not going to tell you it wont be. Because it just may.

I did a TNM clover and chicory plot last fall without the use of any herbicide. Winter rye was also used as a companion crop. I mowed it off early June. It is weedy but there is also plenty of clover and chicory growing. I think what I will do is hit it with gly mid august and TNM again Labor day. The clover and chicory will bounce back just fine after the application of gly and there will be plenty of exposed soil for over seeding of Rye and clover.

Thank you for the input!