All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kid Season in 12 Days.

Brush Creek

5 year old buck +
PICT0121.JPG I think I have most of the bucks we had pictures of this go round. Didn't include many if any 1.5s and I know a couple 2.5s are not in here. Might take me a while. MFDC0220.JPG MFDC0220.JPG

Attachments

• MFDC1056.JPG
    MFDC1056.JPG
    828.4 KB · Views: 1
IMG_1865.JPG PICT0482.JPG PICT0256.JPG

EK000743.JPG EK000743.JPG

Attachments

• EK000730.JPG
    EK000730.JPG
    601.9 KB · Views: 3
EK000730.JPG

Attachments

• EK000550.JPG
    EK000550.JPG
    601.2 KB · Views: 4
  • EK000550.JPG
    EK000550.JPG
    601.2 KB · Views: 4
More.

PICT1626.JPG PICT1626.JPG IMG_0882.JPG

PICT1781.JPG PICT0019.JPG PICT0124.JPG

PICT2197.JPG

Great looking bucks you have there !

Thanks for sharing pics of your bucks. I always enjoy looking at the uniqueness of your herd. Good luck with the kiddos, hope to see some harvest pics with smiling kids!

There are several bruisers in there but that main frame 6 pointer is crazy, wonder what he looks like now!

Nice assortment good luck.

Looks like a few candidates for the wall in that bunch. Good luck and thanks for sharing!

Nice group of bucks. Some of those are monsters. I hope one falls to one of the kids.

Here is the first 6 and a 4x2 that I missed.

IMG_0722.JPG IMG_0688.JPG

WOW!! Those are some nice bucks for zone 100 in MN. Oh wait.... nevermind. Too bad you have to drive 3 states away to find a place where they care.

I like the two tone anterlered buck and the thick looking racked buck with the split right brow. Looks like you have some good up and comers as well.

It would be nice to be able to have this in MN, but the extra car time is well worth it.

I'd say it is. Great looking bunch you got there. Good luck with the youth hunt!

Youth season here is the last weekend in september. In my opinion anyone that gets upset because the kids get first crack at deer in a general sense takes their own success WAY too seriously. I love taking the kids. They are the future of our sport. I have taken 2 kids thus far for their first deer and with a little luck I will have my 3rd this year. I let them shoot any deer they want. I like the fact that it's early as many deer on a feeding pattern yet and the weather is warm and they let them use ANY weapon that is legal during any other season we have here. I remember hunts with these kids better than hunts that put antlers on the wall of my own. It's a great bonding experience and a great time to ensure the kids understand their place in the cycle of life and how hunters fit into wildlife management.

A few things I focus on with kids:
-take them where they stand the best chance to see deer - any deer.
- take them on a 2 or 3 hour morning hunt and 2 or 3 hour evening hunt (they will not sit all day)
- allow them to take some form of entertainment with them.
- I use blinds or shooting houses for kids, helps hide them better.
- keep them comfortable
- take snacks and something to drink
- keep if fun (they will have lots of questions, use it as an opportunity to teach them).
- I make them part of the blood trailing if needed as well as the field dressing and paperwork process (I want them to understand it isn't just pulling the trigger). They don't have to be "hands-on" but they need to understand the entire process.
- If you get a deer, make sure they understand they are taking a life and that they respect that.