Kerr or dolgo

Charman03

5 year old buck +
Which one do you like the best? I have one of each so far that are not producing yet.

When are your typical drop times? Which tree is easiest to grow?

My grafted dolgo drops about Labor Day. The Kerr is still holding apples and held some well into last winter. I have not harvested any Kerr yet as they don’t seem ready.

Both are pretty easy to grow.

Dolgo seedlings have provided a variety of apple sizes and drop times. Some are good for Deer and some are just bird feed.(too small)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c77c4c80783cb900cee7d0c6dc16934b.jpg

Kerr last winter after I left 4 or 5 apples on it.

Plant a chestnut crab to feed the deer (and yourself) after the Dolgo drops. Kerr is for later on.

Dolgo and Kerr are both easy to grow for us. I want both for the same reasons Sandbur mentioned. Agree on the Chestnut crab too.
For us, Dolgo is late August into mid-Sept. Kerr ripens around mid-October for us and hangs into winter. Chestnut is more of a late Sept. / October crab here. Good for archery season here.

Dolgo and Kerr are both easy to grow for us. I want both for the same reasons Sandbur mentioned. Agree on the Chestnut crab too.
For us, Dolgo is late August into mid-Sept. Kerr ripens around mid-October for us and hangs into winter. Chestnut is more of a late Sept. / October crab here. Good for archery season here.

Those three almost cover the fall season. I have so many chestnuts on the ground that it would be covered.

I am watching a couple of trees that have just started to bear for the period before dolgo. Whitney or Norland might fill that gap.

For the period after chestnut, I am watching a wickson which has about 10 apples and they were not ripe last week.

I am watching a wickson which has about 10 apples and they were not ripe last week.
I've got a 6 year old tree loaded to the gills with Wickson...They are ripe (SE Mich). They are "sweating" on the branch for a scrat and press in two weeks...I will ferment these out separate and blend later. I scratted up and pressed 7 gallons this weekend for juice and this concludes my early apple run. Next pressing probably first week of December with the late apples...and...then blended with the Wicksons (and Dabinette which are also "sweating on the branch, but falling..) Will be monitoring sugar content.

I like the chestnut crab and the survival is nearly 100%. I think we have 15 or so planted on different properties.

A nice mix of Dolgo, Kerr, and Chestnut might be ideal

Thanks, Bur, for mentioning Wickson. We have 1, but it hasn't fruited yet.

Can’t wait to get another Kerr growing

Hoping my Kerr plays catch up this year. Came super tiny last year, but it does appear to have grown ~3", and when I scratched it this week it showed green.
Look closely here to see it. It's height is "2 squares on the cage."

20190319_114548.jpg

Where’s that one from?

Hoping my Kerr plays catch up this year. Came super tiny last year, but it does appear to have grown ~3", and when I scratched it this week it showed green.
Look closely here to see it. It's height is "2 squares on the cage."

View attachment 23311

Maybe with a little fertilizer this spring it will take off. Had a couple honeysweet pears from Cummins a few years ago like that, didn't have the option to buy #1 or #2's so I bought smaller and they stayed like twigs for two years. They were old enough to fertilize last spring and I figured I had nothing to loose so I gave them a little triple 15 and they doubled in size finally.

Thanks H2O. On that note, maybe it wouldn't hurt to give it a teaspoon of fertilizer. I was happy to see that it's probably still alive. It's from SLN, and I don't mean to badmouth the nursery. It was discussed on a thread last year. Several guys had similar trees. The owner has made an appearance here and promised to try his best to make customers happy. Looking forward to getting 4 trees from them this year. We'll see how it goes.

IMO SLN had some weak small trees there for a year or two after the changeover. I think they are back on the right path now. Unfortunately I got several of these trees that I pulled the plug on. I can get much bigger stuff from ACN right down the road. I know grey has an older tree on Ant from them that has always been a runt

^^^^ I'm hoping SLN's trees are back to regular size too. I've never lost one of their trees. I hope Connor has his legs under him now since the change in ownership.

You can't go wrong with ACN. Top, top notch, scientific nursery. Their stock is A++. We have a number of their trees at camp. I'm a little envious you live so close !! Probably good I don't - I'd be a pest there !!

ACN stock was way down this year but should be back again next year. It’s best to do a group buy of 25 trees or more to get the discount and these trees for $15 not cut back to ship with a large caliper can’t be beat

I remember reading on ACN's site or in their catalog that they had some kind of problem with propagation last year. They said they have the problem solved or figured out, and expect to be back to 100% next year.