June planting?

Davewp

5 year old buck +
Stark brothers from MO is having a sale. Going to try and add 4 pears to orchard for more variety. Thoughts on planting new trees in JUNE? I have my doubts, but going to try.

I believe Starks guarantee them for a year. You've nothing to lose except time and might get some great pears in several years.

If you can water and maybe even shade them somehow for a bit, they could make it!

Another option is to put them in 3 gal RB2s or fabric bags (depending on size) and keep them at home where you can provide supplemental water through the summer. I'm not sure how much you would have enough time to get much root system growth. I might favor those degradable fabric bags. By planting them in the bag this fall, the root system would be undisturbed. I'm afraid with little root growth, when you unwrap an RB2, enough medium would fall away that it would be like planting them bare root.

Just a thought...

I've planted a few late trees like that and here is what I do:

• Get a roll of duct tape and tape a heavy duty garbage over the top of the cage. This is to get you through the first season, so it doesn't have to last but one season and it doesn't have to be fancy. Let the bag drape over the sides of the cage and make a few rounds with the duct tape.
  • Poke some holes in the bag so that water doesn't pond up and runs on down when it rains.
  • Make sure the trees get watered well but not over watered.
The garbage bag shades the tree from mid-day sun, which is the hottest and most critical time. Yet, the tree still gets enough sun from the sides to stay healthy. Once it gets established well (next season) just rip off the tape and throw it away.

Wow great idea ^^^^^
An if anything can handle it a pear can