Jerky

gwm

5 year old buck +
Since the kids are gone today we made some jerky this morning. This insures we can hide some so the kids don't eat it all.

We like ground jerky and have experimented with different flavors and recipes.

I'm assuming we have other jerky makers on here?

20160102_110314.jpg

20160102_110543.jpg

I've made it in the past and love it. We use sliced meat for it. That's always the problem, getting enough meat to make it. There isn't a lot of cuts in a deer that lend themselves well to slicing.

The other day my wife bought some turkey jerky, it was really good. Got me to thinking, could I have the local deli slice some plain turkey breast thicker than usual and use it for jerky?

For those of you that slice meat for jerky, what do you use?

Thanks,

-John

Any of the roast cuts make good jerky. I have even made it out of back straps. If you want beef jerky wait for London broil to go on sale. That is as easy jerky as you can get. Start with it frozen, slice it when it is half defrosted.

Since the kids are gone today we made some jerky this morning. This insures we can hide some so the kids don't eat it all.

We like ground jerky and have experimented with different flavors and recipes.

I'm assuming we have other jerky makers on here?

View attachment 8223

View attachment 8224
Well what does the finished product look like

Tastes pretty good.

Attachments

• 20160102_164309.jpg
    20160102_164309.jpg
    903.9 KB · Views: 39
That is some top notch looking jerky. I stopped making it because the heathens at camp would eat the whole batch in 20 minutes.

Where's UP Powers?

He's the marinade King, I bet he has some tricks up his sleeve.

That is good looking jerky. I've never tried to make it. No dehydrator.

That looks really good... I always thought the ground stuff didn't look very appealing. Yours does.

What meat did you use? Assuming you ground it yourself?

-John

Gwm looks like my version. I go 3lbs veni 1 lb beef. Been working and making smiling faces for ten years. Doesn't seem to matter what name brand seasoning you use.

One of the guys at camp made a batch this fall ( brought his smoker to camp ) and it got hammered in one day !! Ground venison and beef out of a jerky shooter.

I have been using the LEM seasoning and just got a cabelas slicer for half price and that makes it a lot easier.I am out of meat right now so need to go hunting.I can't keep it around either without hiding it.LEM has some really good equipt. and you can also buy refurbished from them

That looks really good... I always thought the ground stuff didn't look very appealing. Yours does.

What meat did you use? Assuming you ground it yourself?

-John

We used 2lbs venison and 2lbs beef. We grind all our venison.

We've used Hi Mountain seasoning (that's good too) but have used a homemade recipe we found and adjusted to our tastes the last few times we've made it. None of it, regardless of recipe, lasts very long.

Where's UP Powers?

He's the marinade King, I bet he has some tricks up his sleeve.

That is good looking jerky. I've never tried to make it. No dehydrator.

AHHAHA

1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 garlic clove crushed. ( i used minced)
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce (ONLY USE KIKKOMAN DON'T USE ANOTHER!)
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce ( Don't use HEINZ!!, ONLY use LEA and PERrINS)
1 pound of venison

Double for each pound of venison. Marinade for 24 hours in a glass bowl. you can dry it in a dehydrator or an oven. I have used both and I like the dehydrator as it is more efficient. Mine is really old and it works just fine.

Unless I forget.. don't use any other spices but McCormick. All spice companies dry their spices outside and there are NO protocols involved for keeping animals out of the spices. McCormick is the ONLY company that uses indoor controls and their factories are like operating rooms. I am in the food business and I cringe when I see people put spices other than McCormick in their carts in the grocery store. You may think I am nuts, but spices are irradiated, treated with chemicals, and there are almost zero protocols. McCormick (i have no affliations with them) follow strict guidelines and I have no issues serving them to my family.

McCormick (i have no affliations with them) follow strict guidelines and I have no issues serving them to my family.
Great info UP!

and almost EVERY major food manufacturer in the country uses McCormick. If there is an outbreak of ecoli, salmonella, listeria, etc. SOP reviews product ingredients. I can tell you if the seasoning is not labeled McCormick it's sourced from them. Anyone remember Chi Chi's??? the mexican chain restaurant.. One case of ecoli and they shut the doors. It's nothing to screw around with and yes.. Garlic Salt is cheaper with a store label, but there is a reason you pay more for a controlled spice. I can also speak to Spice Islands, I have heard they have improved their controls as of late. Costco is a good indication of what is pretty safe to eat in spices. Those people travel all around the world checking on protocols on all products.

I have a friend who is a seafood buyer for a MAJOR chain. They went to Vietnam for some shrimp tours, (most shrimp you eat is from Vietnam) and one of the places had child labor, dead animals in the facility, he informed the GM that the business will be moving immediately.

I'm liking this info UP !! Never too much " sunlight " when it comes to food safety. Jerky marinade sounds great too. Jerky is addictive. :)

Unless I forget.. don't use any other spices but McCormick. All spice companies dry their spices outside and there are NO protocols involved for keeping animals out of the spices. McCormick is the ONLY company that uses indoor controls and their factories are like operating rooms. I am in the food business and I cringe when I see people put spices other than McCormick in their carts in the grocery store. You may think I am nuts, but spices are irradiated, treated with chemicals, and there are almost zero protocols. McCormick (i have no affliations with them) follow strict guidelines and I have no issues serving them to my family.

I'm making some jerky tonight and ran into this info again. Since you posted it, I have thrown away anything that doesn't say McCormick on it, and will only buy their spices. I thought some of the newer people around here would appreciate the info as much as I did (I tell the story of your post all the time).

-John

I like using the steaks and chops, just pound them flat (very important, don't slice). The secret to tender jerky is to use pickling salt, not regular salt as a brine for 24hrs. I do this and mix in liquid smoke initially. From there drain the meat and add whatever flavors you like for another 3-6 hours and you'll be so happy once it's done.

This technique also works well if you intend to then fry it up for some sandwich meat.

I'm far from an expert, but here is the recipe I used for the batch I'm drying tonight:

1/4 cup soy sauce
2 cups worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
3 tablespoons pickling salt
3 tablespoons seasoning salt (lawrys)
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon meat tenderizer
1 tablespoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1 tablespoon onion powder (not onion salt)
1 tablespoon paprika

Will easily marinade 2 lbs of meat (should cover 3 lbs)

I dip the sliced meat in the marinade so it's completely covered. Then put it in an air-tight container (or zip loc bag) and toss it in the fridge for a couple of days with any leftover marinade. Mix the meat up a time or two per day to make sure everything gets it's fair share of flavor.

Dry in an dehydrator or oven until well dried. Stop before it's cardboard, but not before most of the moisture is removed.

Store in an air tight container for a few weeks, or vacuum seal and freeze it for extended storage.

Jerky 1.jpg

Jerky 2.jpg