Jackpine's Journal

Made it up to the property this weekend. Cleared and limed a 30x90 area. Not as much as I wanted to get done but it gives me an idea of what to expect going forward. Going back up memorial weekend to spread some fertilizer and BW.
4cf339a959b3671eb0c645d05e42b9a5.jpg
55b4222c1fd4d14b8ad876715b0fec18.jpg
d632671f82aec3cd309fa9f9948897b5.jpg

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Love it! I too am a small parcel owner and another newbie to land management. I have 36 aces in Missouri. I did some hinge cutting in a small area and added a buck bed that looks like yours. Much to my surprise it had some tracks in it last week when I went and took a look around. They were small tracks so probably a young doe but I've decided that's the last time I'll go into that area until after deer season this year. I'll do some more extentisive hinging then. Keep the updates coming!

I checked the beds when I was up there. Removed a few twigs from them but couldn't tell for sure if they had much use. Based on cams and sightings I think the area is used more by the does. I'm thinking the addition of food plots will get the deer in more of a pattern. In hindsight my bed building efforts could have been spent clearing plots. All that being said, any time spent in the woods is good for the soul, I can always move the beds if needed.

Its so tough getting deer to bed in one spot, they do what ever they want. Once you get the food plots going things will change most likely. In summer it seems like the deer like to bed in more open areas by me and once November rolls in you can't hardly get them out in the open. If you feed them they will come!

Hello,
I seen on another post that you were checking into forestry mulching.

I live in Solon Springs and just recently bought a Fecon Bull Hog mulcher. If you were still looking at having some work done I could maybe help you out?

Hello,
I seen on another post that you were checking into forestry mulching.

I live in Solon Springs and just recently bought a Fecon Bull Hog mulcher. If you were still looking at having some work done I could maybe help you out?
Thanks Mark I'll keep you in mind. What's the best way to contact you?

Jackpine - I was just looking at your pix at post #21. The brushy cover in the last 2 pix look like great deer cover !! That's the kind of cover I wish we had more of at my camp. I can picture big, gnarly bucks creeping through that stuff.

Good luck on your planting and habitat work.

Didn't take any pictures but managed to make it up to the property for a couple days. Girdled a few larger oaks and expanded the plot area a little before nuking it all with gly. Next day broadcasted BW and a little Sunflower along with some triple 10. Picked up about 1/10" of rain the next day. Will be interesting to see how it turns out, I'm a little concerned due to all the sticks and leaf debris on the ground, I went over it with a leaf blower after broadcasting the seed hoping it would help settle the seeds down to the ground.

I checked the beds when I was up there. Removed a few twigs from them but couldn't tell for sure if they had much use. Based on cams and sightings I think the area is used more by the does. I'm thinking the addition of food plots will get the deer in more of a pattern. In hindsight my bed building efforts could have been spent clearing plots. All that being said, any time spent in the woods is good for the soul, I can always move the beds if needed.

Your long term monitoring of the beds will be interesting. I am skeptical of the ability to dictate the specific location of a buck bedding but I hope you can prove me wrong.

As I suspected I didn't get good germination with the BW. There was plenty of rain, I think it averaged about an inch a week. I just don't think there was enough seed to soil contact due to all the stick and leaf debris. What is there now looks like it popped up recently even though I broadcasted Mem Day weekend. Not sure exactly what happened since my exclusion fence was also knocked over and flattened. They definitely browsed the stump sprouts though.
0ba0ee5bbece1718d8a6aa625d5ee15f.jpg
60cd3553aec3f38f70997150fea4c350.jpg
b42f3b7ad60fd0bd6dd8179d85d979e9.jpg
5efb2f27062ae23404481c01222bf6e6.jpg

Deer were on the cam almost every day. Along with a bear and several turkeys. Good to see the fawns too!:emoji_slight_smile:MFDC0859.JPG MFDC0865.JPG MFDC0896.JPG MFDC0943.JPG

Plots that size are tough to get going if you have any deer population. The good thing is that you are far from done for the year. If you can rake the debris or run a small tiller to expose dirt you should be able to get a great oat or winter rye plot. I have carved 3 of my own plots out of the woods with minimal equipment and you can have a great plot. The first year is toughest because you have to break up the soil.

Plots that size are tough to get going if you have any deer population. The good thing is that you are far from done for the year. If you can rake the debris or run a small tiller to expose dirt you should be able to get a great oat or winter rye plot. I have carved 3 of my own plots out of the woods with minimal equipment and you can have a great plot. The first year is toughest because you have to break up the soil.
I'll be seeding WR in about a month and will be looking to rake it somehow. Thanks

Before and after pics. Raked most of the sticks and leaves up then spread WR at about 120#/ac rate. Wacked the grass clumps and sprayed gly. Afterwards I wished I would have had more seed to go heavier, maybe I'll try to get back in a few weeks and put more down. My exclusion fence was knocked over again and flattened, it's actually a piece of galvanized metal lath that I had left from a project, maybe the bears like it because it's shiny??
7456a41190e5c1579e2db73d3ff2f23e.jpg
69b7c9d4b92c2ecfe530a5d585423a8b.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of deer on the cam again. Mostly doe groups but also a couple small racked bucks. Several pics appear to show aggressive doe behavior, probably trying to establish ownership of my single small plot. My ultimate plan is to establish 6 to 8 of these plots in the same area but separated enough so the deer can't see from one plot into another. All of them together to possibly total 3/4 acre.
68cee2fb239ad6a4c2219d55d2ce52c0.jpg
e501dca108625d92032c9094ded579b6.jpg
17337c3a803e290418de1e244ab401fd.jpg
3fccf83416777bdbed2acb9e1211292b.jpg

Last edited:
3fccf83416777bdbed2acb9e1211292b.jpg

Yep, the old girl is letting everyone know it is "hers".

Nice progress so far, keep the updates coming.

-John

Great to see the deer taking to it. looks like you got some competition going on over your plot as well.....somebody doesn't want to share! Something I have done in the past to try to get to bare soil.....burn the leaf litter. Simply rake a fire break around your plot.....instead of raking the entire thing and let fire break that stuff down for you to reduce your work load.

Made it up yesterday to check on things. The WR and BW i put down a month ago is very thin. Possibly because it didn't get much rain and has been pretty warm? I put down more WR and some triple 10. My exclusion fence was knocked over and flattened again so I will need to try a different one next year.
0e247589fab8442408287b614d5a0d80.jpg
d6186fd6244e21b08b878efc3cdc800f.jpg

Last edited:
Worst looking plot ever but the deer were on it almost every day. Bucks are starting to show up including these two.MFDC1128.JPG MFDC1124.JPG