J-birds place

I’m curious about heat and humidity with the miscanthus as well-after planting 28 in a row to give my garden a windbreak, I had some left over that I put in landscaping pots, next to the barn’s water hydrant. This morning I was shocked to see about 8-9” of new growth following yesterday’s 94 degree temps! The stuff must love warm roots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m curious about heat and humidity with the miscanthus as well-after planting 28 in a row to give my garden a windbreak, I had some left over that I put in landscaping pots, next to the barn’s water hydrant. This morning I was shocked to see about 8-9” of new growth following yesterday’s 94 degree temps! The stuff must love warm roots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I figure it's a tropical grass so I figure the heat and humidity should make it go nuts. We will see......

If it get timely spring rains it will grow with nothing but humidity later in the summer. Even in drought years mine gets 10 foot tall if there is spring moisture.

If it get timely spring rains it will grow with nothing but humidity later in the summer. Even in drought years mine gets 10 foot tall if there is spring moisture.
Well that is good news.....

I did get my corn plots planted as well on Monday. Getting a nice rain shower now so I'm pretty happy.

SW plot - this was soybeans overseeded with winter wheat. The wheat wasn't fertilized and was starting to die and I used a rototiller to work it all into the soil....
SW plot.jpg

This is my South bottom plot - it's about 3/4 acre, but the deer have not been eating all the food so I have cut back this year. My plan is to use the unworked ground here to become true fall annual plots when the time comes. I know some soybeans are coming up in there as well so I may hit it with gly and see how those do as well.
S bottom plot.jpg

Please tell me that is not yellow rocket coming up in that plot in the bottom pic?

Please tell me that is not yellow rocket coming up in that plot in the bottom pic?
The yellow flowers are a mix of yellow rocket and brassica bolting and flowering.....most of it is brassica.....but I know ther eis some rocket in there as well. Nothing some chemical can't fix!

Correct J, just do it sooner than later. Don't let that stuff go to seed.

Correct J, just do it sooner than later. Don't let that stuff go to seed.
It's already all over the place around here. Neighbors field will get almost 3 feet tall of that stuff before they ever get to it.....I'll slap it with some gly or crossbow/crossroad

Nice work J-bird. You'll have a good variety there.

Nice work J-bird. You'll have a good variety there.
Since the deer in that plot don't seem to eat as much as I plant it gives me the options to try different things. The deer won't eat all the brassica and cereal grain mix either, but its variety and a lot cheaper than corn. I am even considering breaking the plot up with some shrubs for the deer to browse on just for yet more diversity....leaning toward some elderberry, arrowwood and buttonbush and maybe some dogwoods.

Got my garden beans and peas trial out over the weekend. Had some help as well. The idea here is to plant garden peas and pole beans to get the deer used to them being there without them being able to kill them (hence the cages). Then a few days before our youth season hunt I will pull the cages and hopefully get my youngest a slam-dunk shot. We will see how this progresses.... the plot itself is planted in corn (planted last weekend) is just starting to germinate was well. Odd thing was we did this work and as we headed out of the area we jumped a turkey at the edge of the plot. It had to have been there the whole time but chose not to leave....
bean and pea.jpg

Corn just starting to pop.
corn germ.jpg

Was out over the weekend trying to get a few more things done and took some pics along the way.

I got an early fathers day gift with 2 new Chestnut Hill chestnut trees (3 gallon size). I was going to replace a tree that the deer had attacked last fall and was nothing but a tattered 2 foot stick a few weeks ago. I went back to replace him and he surprised me with some growth and sings of life. So I removed the dead portion and figure if he want's to fight....I'll let him fight!

He went from this....
12674_387dc84fc54e7ca62812164290b8cb26.jpg

To this!
12672_7233fe14dfdbd8e890165668504cc736.jpg

So that meant I had 2 more holes to dig to plant my chestnuts in. I had one tree die a few years back (my fault) so that one was replaced but added an additional one.

I plant these in my perennial plot/orchard. I was considering mowing it, but decided against it. Some weeds are fine and the chance of me hitting a fawn was too great. It may look like hell to others, but I think I made the right call. I will wait until I start seeing the fawns on cams and will then start strip mowing.
12673_7fdc3a3fa279a8fcc2aeaf96f60b16a8.jpg

That was about all I got done as the rain moved in and gave everything a good drink as well. I did get the sprayer fixed (busted fitting....damn thing broke of flush!) and got the garage cleaned up and some order to it as well. I need to check on my garden veggies out in the plot as the ones at the house are doing well - I even put up a cage to give them something to climb on and to help shelter them from critters, but the ones in the plot are about a week behind those at the house.

That chestnut looks pretty good for almost a lost cause. Nice rebound on it.

We have some weeds in our plots too, but the deer are in there hammering away at all of it. Weeds get eaten right along with the clover & alfalfa. I like your call on mowing delay.

That chestnut looks pretty good for almost a lost cause. Nice rebound on it.

We have some weeds in our plots too, but the deer are in there hammering away at all of it. Weeds get eaten right along with the clover & alfalfa. I like your call on mowing delay.
I was surprised with the chestnut as well. I bought a "replacement" so it figures. It's like an old tattered belt.....if you want it to last forever.....just buy it's replacement and hang it on a nail in the barn! The "plot" is feeding the deer just looks "ugly" from what we typically view a plot as. The weeds tend to feed the deer just as much as the plot plants do. I figure as long as there isn't anything really bad growing I can wait. It isn't worth messing up a fawn or turkey nest or the like. We actually jumped a turkey out of a plot in similar condition on the north side of our place a few weekends ago. Sometimes I think we need to learn when to just leave well enough alone. I will admit to being guilty of that. Funny how we want a manicured lawn look in a "wild" place sometimes.

I was out this evening and decided to go take a walk to see how my "deer garden" was doing.....the stuff we planted a week or so earlier at the house is going nuts.

The corn plot needs a shot of Urea (I'll have to get on that).....and I need to hit the plot with some crossbow/crossroad as well.
N corn plot june 15.jpg

I looked over the chestnuts as well and I one that doesn't look so hot, but has a few catkins, I have one that looks better but without catkins and I have one that looks great and is covered in catkins!
chestnut bloom.jpg

I also hit the edge of the clover plot a few weeks ago with some gly to knock back some weeds.......it looks bad now, but I am pretty certain the clover will bounce back....it has in the past. I'll keep track as things progress as some fear doing this and killing the clover, but I have found it's on of the best way to kill some of the tougher weeds.
clover gly spray june 15.jpg

I was back out and at it again this weekend.... Man is it hot and sticky here. Heat index of 100+ at times.

I did get an interesting farther's day gift from my youngest..... She is 14 and says we are BFF's, partly because she knows it drives the other kids nuts.....partly because we are pretty close buds.
Emma fathers day gift.jpg

So with gift card in hand, along with a few others I had stash in my wallet off to Rural King to try seeding the north triangle plot in something.....again.

Ended up getting a product I have used before and worked well for me and because I still want a heavy chicory presence - I got some addition of that as well. Typically I'm not big on using BOB seed, but for small quick projects....I don't see an issue. Below are the two products I purchased....due to gift cards it was all free to me.
north plot clover mix.jpg
north plot chicory mix.jpg

I had sprayed gly a week ago or two and spread the seed and then attacked it with a weed wacker. This had gotten to where you couldn't see the dog before I sprayed so I was pretty happy with the result. I don't feel comfortable mowing with an actual mower due to stumps. I also found an oak seedling that I didn't know was in there, and hope it will pull thru.
north plot kill.jpg

Also had a wonderful surprise at the edge of this plot I jumped a turkey...which is rare itself. But after I got done doing my thing....I light bulb went off in my head that maybe, just maybe that turkey was on a nest. So I went looking and sure enough I found my first turkey nest! I don't know much about turkey, but I hope these all become little turkeys, so I need to stay out of this area to let thing be.
turkey nest.jpg

Don’t be upset if the turkeys
Don’t make it. It’s a tough life for turkey Poults

Don’t be upset if the turkeys
Don’t make it. It’s a tough life for turkey Poults
I will be disappointed..... Just knowing she is there and thus me making an effort to leave well enough alone is about all I can do. I know the nest is a sign that I am doing some things right, but obviously if we have a nest I want them to hatch and do well. I realize I have little to say about that, other than leaving her alone. I would feel the same way if I found a fawn. It's a good sign, but we always want more....

You try to raise your kids to make smart decisions...... And then they do this! This is NOT photoshop!
Emma edge walk.jpg