Itasca Greenhouse Plugs

I've used NCR for a few years. WAS great, not so sure anymore. They got their trees out real late this spring, not good for survival rates planting early summer. Between their delays and things happening on my end I pushed my order to fall. Reached out to them in early Sept and had a hard time getting ahold of someone. Finally was told they were not going to even begin shipping fall orders until late Sept. I haven't heard back from them. Won't be long and ground will be frozen. I'm considering just cancelling and forfeiting a few dollars. Better than working my butt off planting (at the wrong time) and losing a majority of the trees.

I've used NCR for a few years. WAS great, not so sure anymore. They got their trees out real late this spring, not good for survival rates planting early summer. Between their delays and things happening on my end I pushed my order to fall. Reached out to them in early Sept and had a hard time getting ahold of someone. Finally was told they were not going to even begin shipping fall orders until late Sept. I haven't heard back from them. Won't be long and ground will be frozen. I'm considering just cancelling and forfeiting a few dollars. Better than working my butt off planting (at the wrong time) and losing a majority of the trees.
They changed ownership in the last couple years. Its to bad as the original owners (Dave and Michele) did a nice job. I know they had relocated the operations so hopefully they will get their ducks in a row.

They changed ownership in the last couple years. Its to bad as the original owners (Dave and Michele) did a nice job. I know they had relocated the operations so hopefully they will get their ducks in a row.
I hope so. Dave and Michele were on point and always a pleasure to deal with.

If anyone wanted to start a seedling/plug business I think the demand is there. Concentrate on certain species and it would take off. A lot of work though!

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on NCR for spring 2020, otherwise I will have to wait until fall 2020 to get my white cedar plugs from Itasca

i had major issues with them this spring as well, its to bad because i loved buying plugs from there and have been for many years running. I was very specific that i wanted mine shipped in containers so i could plant as i had time and they shipped them out and wrapped in plastic and in two shipments weeks apart. I was shorted and shipped a bunch of dead trees. Not sure if ill risk it again.

i had major issues with them this spring as well, its to bad because i loved buying plugs from there and have been for many years running. I was very specific that i wanted mine shipped in containers so i could plant as i had time and they shipped them out and wrapped in plastic and in two shipments weeks apart. I was shorted and shipped a bunch of dead trees. Not sure if ill risk it again.
Outta curiosity when did you receive them. I like to plant as soon as the frost as gone because by the time Mid May rolls around my sands are drying out in the sun/heat and survival rates drop way off. Used to be no problem getting them in Mid April. If I recall correctly this year it was going to be well into May if I had accepted shipment.

Outta curiosity when did you receive them. I like to plant as soon as the frost as gone because by the time Mid May rolls around my sands are drying out in the sun/heat and survival rates drop way off. Used to be no problem getting them in Mid April. If I recall correctly this year it was going to be well into May if I had accepted shipment.
i dont remember the date but they were very late, first shipment was well into may and the other was almost june - i also like to get mine in right after the frost is gone . I asked for them in april and had to call and email multiple times for them to get shipped.

i dont remember the date but they were very late, first shipment was well into may and the other was almost june - i also like to get mine in right after the frost is gone . I asked for them in april and had to call and email multiple times for them to get shipped.
Yep, sucks. When I got a hold of them in the spring it was pretty clear that the big arbor day and earth day orders were the priority over us habitat guys. Unfortunately I expect them to come up with high minimum like Itasca did a few years ago.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on NCR for spring 2020, otherwise I will have to wait until fall 2020 to get my white cedar plugs from Itasca

Thanks for all the warnings about NCR. By the way, someone asked, I'm located in southwestern Wisconsin driftless area

My white pine from Itasca last year look so fabulous. They haven't even been in the ground for a year, and I wont be surprised if they get close to the top of the 4 foot cage by the end of this season. They averaged about 6-10" tall when I planted them. I have made sure they are getting 8 hours of full sun per day, weed control and a cage. 30 more going into cages in about 2 weeks.

IMG_2554.JPGIMG_2555.JPGIMG_2574.JPGIMG_2576.JPG

....100 White Spruce and 150 Norway Spruce just arrived today . Along with 10 bigger Bur Oak.

Planting the next couple days.

I didnt have cages for all of my cannan fir. The deer chewed the hell out of them. They also look like they winter burned pretty good. I lost a few of them to browse and a few of them to winter. I love the growth rate, but they need protection. Hope I have about 37 of 50 left. Some of them look like they will make a big leap this year. I suspect they wont winter burn so easy next year.

IMG_2542.JPGIMG_2543.JPGIMG_2545.JPGIMG_2578.JPG

How did your Norway’s handle the winter? Any browse? I’ve got 50 due to show up in the next couple weeks and I’m not sure if I should try and cage them or just bud cap them.
thanks

How did your Norway’s handle the winter? Any browse? I’ve got 50 due to show up in the next couple weeks and I’m not sure if I should try and cage them or just bud cap them.
thanks

Most of my norways can make it through the winter in decent shape, but some did/do burn pretty severely. Those are overwhelmingly 1st year trees. By year 2 its much less, and I dont see hardly anything on 3rd year trees as they have toughened up by then. The deer like to browse the hell out of and chew them apart like candy, especially in the first year. Bud capping at a minimum is mandatory where I am located in north central MN. Cages are WAY better. I am almost leaning towards doing both on first year trees from what I saw last week. Small plugs seem to get nuked either by the deer or the winter and are a complete waste of time on my land. I buy the biggest specimens I can get.

Here is a norway planted last May. You can see its burnt pretty good. The bud cap however protected the terminal bud and I think this tree will be just fine. This one is not in a high travel area so its spared from being eaten so far. I expect when I pull the cap off in a few weeks it will be nice and green underneath.
IMG_2569.JPG

These are a couple of Cannan firs that were bud capped and I added cages around them early this winter. The bud caps really seem to keep the terminal bud from looking like it got nuked. I just took these off a few days ago and put the cages back on. I hope they really toughen up for this winter.
IMG_2630.JPGIMG_2631.JPG

Most of my norways can make it through the winter in decent shape, but some did/do burn pretty severely. Those are overwhelmingly 1st year trees. By year 2 its much less, and I dont see hardly anything on 3rd year trees as they have toughened up by then. The deer like to browse the hell out of and chew them apart like candy, especially in the first year. Bud capping at a minimum is mandatory where I am located in north central MN. Cages are WAY better. I am almost leaning towards doing both on first year trees from what I saw last week. Small plugs seem to get nuked either by the deer or the winter and are a complete waste of time on my land. I buy the biggest specimens I can get.

Here is a norway planted last May. You can see its burnt pretty good. The bud cap however protected the terminal bud and I think this tree will be just fine. This one is not in a high travel area so its spared from being eaten so far. I expect when I pull the cap off in a few weeks it will be nice and green underneath.
View attachment 29170

These are a couple of Cannan firs that were bud capped and I added cages around them early this winter. The bud caps really seem to keep the terminal bud from looking like it got nuked. I just took these off a few days ago and put the cages back on. I hope they really toughen up for this winter.
View attachment 29171View attachment 29172

what do you use to bud cap them?

I like to use plain old white 4x6 index cards. I think a 500 pack is about $8 from amazon. I have started to fold the index card into thirds and have two flaps come come around and staple that together. This makes the cap more compact and it seems to fit tighter then. Use however many staples it takes. I like to catch a few needles and try not to staple through the leader.

IMG_6635.JPG

I picked up my ABP white pine plugs from Itasca last Friday morning. They are only about a 20 min drive from the hunting shack. The plugs this year looked phenomenal! At least twice as big as last year. I put all 30 of them into cages, 8+ hours of sun per day. My roofers threw a roll of synthetic roofing felt into the dumpster last year and I decided to use that for a weed mat. I shouldnt have to touch any of these trees for 2+ years. That is the hope anyways. Could sure use a slow inch of rain up there. These things really grow fast if you can keep them from being browsed. All the ones I planted from last year look great. 100% survived and made a huge leap. Buds are out and they are ready to start growing again.

IMG_2850.JPGIMG_2851.JPGIMG_2852.JPG