Is it worth e-fencing 1-1.5 acre of soy beans?

eclipseman

5 year old buck +
I have always wanted to try soybeans here in NY but I do not have large acreage so I have never tried it. I typically do 1.5acres worth of brassica mix with .5acres clover. Next summer I would like to possibly try doing an e-fence on 1-1.5 acre portion where I grow the brassica to try soybeans. Is this worth it or would they just wipe out the grown beans as soon as I take the fence down? Hunting season starts Oct 1st every year so when would I likely plant and when would I likely take the fence down if it did work? Thanks!

Depends a lot on your deer numbers, and when you take the fence down. The good think about summer annuals, you can always overseed or start over with brassicas if they fail.

...and what you plant. Most folks in the north plant for pods. I'm not sure how quickly an acre of pods would get consumed when the deer decide to hit them. Another strategy that I know works is to plant for early season. Our archery season opens in early October here (VA). One year, I planted Eagle RR Forage beans. They are and indeterminate bean that focuses their energy on forage production rather then pod production. They do produce pods, but the pods and beans are small compared to ag beans. I planted about 5 acres that year and protected about an acre with a Gallagher-style e-fence. The beans inside the fence grew like mad. The deer hammered the beans outside the fence but could not kill them. The beans staked naked all summer and every time they would grow a leaf, the deer would eat it. So, the beans outside the fence were also full of weeds since they never canopied. That gives you an idea about my deer density to quality food ratio at the time in the summer.

Beans inside the fence got about 5' or so tall. I took the fence down a couple weeks before the season to get the deer use to using them. They hit them right away but the field was so thick with beans that the deer had a hard time getting into it. They hammered it around all the edges but the beans were so thick and fast growing that it was no problem. I actually started thinking about it and deer are edge creatures. As hard as it was emotionally, I ended up bushhogging strips through the beans. While this seems counter intuitive, it actually created more food. First, the deer had more edges to work. Second, it opened up those strips for me to surface broadcast a fall cover crop. Those beans stayed green and attractive to deer through October in my area. They were starting to yellow the last week or so. They had plenty of small pods, but once brown, my deer ignored them. They would come to the field to eat the WR in the cover crop strips but would ignore the pods. Turkey loved the pods. In my area, deer only seem to hit pods when we have a mast crop failure.

The reason I did this was NOT for hunting although it worked out great for hunting purposes. The reason I did it is because my partners were beginning to believe I was doing something wrong planting beans and they would not grow back when I tried planting the first few acres. I decided to use the e-fence to prove to them that it was not the planting techniques but browse pressure that was the problem. It worked!

So, I can tell you that in my area if you were looking for the early season attraction it would likely work. I can't speak to late season up north with pods as the objective.

Thanks,

Jack

I think you owe it to yourself to give it a try one year. This is my first time growing soybeans. Rented the county drill and planted around mid-June. They did pretty good I think. I planted two acres, both with two-layer hot fence. The beans on the outside have been browsed to death. Cameras are showing summer buck activity that I’ve not seen here before. This was a weed field (low quality browse) before, so deer always went around it or parallel to it until rut.

The real question, of course, is are you the only supplier of soybeans in town? If not, the fall plot thing is probably going to be better. There is very little Ag around me and this was the year of corn, so whoever did plant, didn’t plant beans.

Since I know my deer love pods when it starts getting cold, I thought I might hunt one of the fields during early season while they are eating leaves, and then release the other when the temperature really starts to dip. We will see.

I will try to sow some turnips, peas, and cereal rye into the beans should we ever get rain again.

Attachments

• 3A728E89-313C-49F1-B24D-2898C2638C9E.jpeg
    3A728E89-313C-49F1-B24D-2898C2638C9E.jpeg
    635.8 KB · Views: 14
Do you need to, or do you want to?

Do you need to, or do you want to?
Do any of us need to plant food plots? I don’t really understand this question.

Beans are classified in Maturity Groups. When you plant will be based on which group you plant. Taking fence down will depend on hunting season dates, but I would guess that a week or two of open access would be plenty for them to find it. If you're worried about them using the plot broadcast a cereal rye into the beans when their leafs turn yellow. The wheat or winter rye that you plant will stay green during the winter and provide attraction once the beans are gone.

Good luck and report how it goes for ya!

I'd try it if you plant a forage soybean. I plant and fence a few acres every year and have had great success with them. I usually plant the middle of May when the soil temp warms enough and take the fence down in August. By then the beans are 4-5 feet tall. Rifle season opens mid October where i'm at and they are still in there eating away. I will also broadcast cereal rye into the standing beans the first week of October and that has worked very well too. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_1160.jpg
    IMG_1160.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 14
Do any of us need to plant food plots? I don’t really understand this question.
Are there others nearby that have beans that pull the does away from your place while you're hunting?

Are there others nearby that have beans that pull the does away from your place while you're hunting?

To expand a bit more, it comes down to objectives. Eclipseman, you didn't really give us a picture of what you are trying to accomplish in your original post. For example, folks doing QDM trying to feed deer might have a different answer than folks trying to feed deer. I presumed you were trying to attract deer to the field for hunting, but food plots can be used for many purposes. Location play in to answers as well. As SD says, it is not simply a matter of deer density. It is deer density and alternate food sources during the time when beans are establishing that are major drivers for browse pressure and vulnerability of the beans. A bean field along a road or next to a house will generally get less pressure than one that is more remote and near cover.

So, if you have planted beans before for a specific purpose and had issues, it may be worth investing in an e-fence. If you haven't, it may turn out the beans would do fine without it. E-fencing is not inexpensive, especially if you need a solar charger and expensive in time as well. Based on your conditions, you can make an educated guess how deer would use your beans. Even in my post, I mentioned two different approaches pods verses forage or late season verses early. If you provide a bit more on what you are trying to accomplish it would help folks provide useful suggestions to consider.

Thanks,

Jack