Is it just me OR ----

Sorry to hear that. I have grey ones and they work just fine

"11 out of 20 ruined" What happened to them?

"11 out of 20 ruined" What happened to them?
The bark was eaten off the trees all the way around for the entire section (18" or so) that was covered by the tubes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 27
Dang that is a kick in the teeth!! Those trees looked like they were getting some good size.

The bark was eaten off the trees all the way around for the entire section (18" or so) that was covered by the tubes.
I had that happen to a couple trees a few years ago thankfully the root stock does survive and sends up suckers if you select one you may be able to bud graft it in late summer- although I did wait till the following spring to regraft mine

Terry - Sorry to hear about and SEE the pix of your buddy's trees. We had the same exact thing happen to us with the black drain pipes. That's why we screen every tree we plant now as soon as it's in the ground. And the 40" dia. circle of crushed stone around each tree makes tunneling for mice / voles just, plain HELL for them !! It caves in on them if they even try it. Jagged edges on the crushed limestone can't be comfortable for the little B-tards. Hang in there ........ spring's coming !!

Screen would have fixed it for sure but you also have an insane amount of vole cover in the area, screen em and cut the grass a little throw down some bait in this situation place bait in a one foot or so pvc tube about two inch dia. secure to the ground , protects bait from birds and weather and voles mice love the tunnels .

WOW! That sucks! Looks like a little rodent eradication is in order. Get yourself a raptor perch up in the middle of your orchard and let the hawks and owls help you out as well. They are cheap and easily made and they have good plans all over the internet.

Thanks to everyone for the great tips. It is awesome to learn from one another's missteps so we all can work to avoid them in the future.

The raptor perch!!!! Just when I thought I was getting up-to-speed. That is a new one. I will look into it. Thanks again.

window screen is a cool technique. I posted a year or two ago maybe on another site??? that one of the trees my dad help me plant was girdled by moles,voles, some brown furry satan with a tail, and I was sick to think I lost it. Well. I am happy to say.. IT'S ALIVE IT'S ALIVE! Still living and still plugging along. it scabbed over and keeps on going. I prunned all my trees about 4 weeks ago and I should have taken pics..