Interesting, maybe someday, gmo but hey, bring it back!

mikmaze

5 year old buck +
I'll take 50 chestnuts, seedlings, what ever ... just to help test them!

Hopefully it works. Others have produced resistant trees in the past but I don't think they were GM.

Interesting article. It once again states the disastrous effects of foreign, imported pest organisms - typically from Asia. I hope the research proves to be beneficial to American chestnut preservation.

I think it was odd that they are concerned that it will overtake the woods and displace other trees, isn't that how it got there in the first place? what could be so bad about it taking over, maybe it will displace some non native norway maples.

Sure hope the transgenic AC passes FDA and others. Been following Dr. Powell's and SUNY work for several years. We are so lucky that this native may be restored.
There are blight "tolerant" hybrids produced by backcrossing but I am not sure if they are all truly resistant. The transgenic AC is different.

In certain parts of PA, you can find wild AC's that are 70+ feet with 16+" DBH . I can assure you they are out there. You will need to spend some time in your boots going from tree to tree.