All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Instant Grafting?

Barndog56

5 year old buck +
I watched one of the 'Back to Eden' guy's youtube videos today and he talked about removing a scion and grafting it to a tree minutes later, during the growing season. I'm wondering if any of you have tried this? What month of the year would this work best?

I should work any time as long as the graft has a month to heal-in before the tree goes dormant (leaf fall).

I’ve done it in the spring. Not all trees come out of dormancy at the same time. I've cut scions that haven’t leafed out yet and topworked them to a tree that is already leafing out. Generally just walking a few feet to another tree. Success rate is high.

You will need the latent buds at the juncture of leaf axis to be mature enough. The cut off the existing leaf blades and graft away.

Hey TC, a few of my grafts have grown 6' this summer. Is it ok to snip the top now and bud graft using those tops? These trees seem too tall and skinny for their caliper, so I figured I'd want to crop them this winter anyway?? My question is somewhat loaded, seeing as that any potential failures on my part will result in more purchases from Neb. Lol. Grafting the in-season scion as you mentioned above, would it not be too late this year in the upper midwest?

Yea you are probably pushing the end of grafting season. I grafted all my apples in mid August. You could try a couple you wont have a lot of time and cost in them.