Input requested (WI): Waushara vs Marquette vs Adams Counties

almanac12

5 year old buck +
A family member is looking at acreage in this part of Wisconsin. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or insights in differences in hunting regs, local laws, taxes, etc. between these three counties.
Thanks.

They are very similar, but different. Hunting regs are the same, you can shoot things. Local laws ... well look at the state statutes, pretty much the same. Taxes, yep the same and too much.

When your family member has done their own homework, please share specific communities they are looking at ...

I would maybe look into areas that aren't hotspots for CWD etc.

Edit..although looking at the DNR page with the actual #'s it doesn't look like you'd have much of a problem. Some of those maps look like it's taking over the state until you zoom out, or look at the actual #'s per county.

Last edited:
I think they are looking at 3 areas: S of Coloma, NE of Wautoma, and near the Castle Rock / Petenwell flowages.

Looks like a few CWD cases in NW Adams County. Only 1 in Marquette, 0 in Waushara.

Last edited:
I live in Waushara, hunt in Waushara and Marquette. Some years one county may get an extra doe tag, or get to participate in the Holiday Hunt, but the regs are basically the same.

As far as the hunting itself, I think it will depend on the individual properties they're looking at, and the surrounding areas.

I live in Waushara, hunt in Waushara and Marquette. Some years one county may get an extra doe tag, or get to participate in the Holiday Hunt, but the regs are basically the same.

As far as the hunting itself, I think it will depend on the individual properties they're looking at, and the surrounding areas.
I used to hunt Juneau county western side of castle rock. It has been heavily developed there now. There was always a good amount of deer, but on the small side. I have my first buck I shot 3.5 year old 9 and the 9 I shot in northern wi mounted. The deer actually look like different species. My friend has the same. Although they are all 3yr olds the size of their heads are like a goat compared to a cow. They have been shooting some big ones in Adams over the years. Not sure if you are after antlers or meat, if antlers I hate to say it, probably the worst area in the state. I have a friend that hunts off of hwy 21 near colons, he sees a good amount of deer.