Imox (generic Raptor) anyone use it on clover?

Bill

Administrator
I was just getting ready to order clethodim and Butyrac from keystone pest solutions and the site recommended Imox as a replacement for both on clover as a 1 shot treatment. Clover is actually listed on the label unlike clethodim.

I may give it a shot but was curious if anyone had tried it.

Yikes! Never mind. Just looked at the price tag. Cheaper to use the old standard..

Per application there's nothing cheaper. Are you buying the 2 1/2 gal? There is a one quart option somewhere between $79 and $89 last year.
I wouldn't say I would never use cleth and/or 2,4DB again, but I won't be using a lot of it anytime soon.

Per application there's nothing cheaper. Are you buying the 2 1/2 gal? There is a one quart option somewhere between $79 and $89 last year.
I wouldn't say I would never use cleth and/or 2,4DB again, but I won't be using a lot of it anytime soon.

What's the rate/acre?

What's the rate/acre?
It depends. Typically if you get to spraying before the weeds get over 3-inches, then 3 or 4 oz to the acre should do it. I've used as much as 10 ounces mid summer to salvage some really weedy clover fields.

I need to research the labels closer. Keystone said Imox was a replacement for Raptor. But???

To control pigweed raptor says 3-4 oz/ acre. Imox says 64 to 128 oz/acre.
There may be a Better cocktail than what I’m Using but I need to look closer at it..

I need to research the labels closer. Keystone said Imox was a replacement for Raptor. But???

To control pigweed raptor says 3-4 oz/ acre. Imox says 64 to 128 oz/acre.
There may be a Better cocktail than what I’m Using but I need to look closer at it..

So, here's the thing. This is just my conclusion. I forget who manufactures IMOX. Some place in the deep south, maybe Alabama? Here's an independent company seeing an opportunity to bottle ammonium salt of imazamox: 2-[4,5-dihydro-4-methyl-4-(1-methylethyl)- 5-oxo-1 H-imidazol-2-yl)-5-(methoxymethyl)-3-pyridinecarboxylic acid' .. (Raptor) in something other than a 2 1/2 gallon jug for people like you and me. They have to get a EPA registration and put a slightly different chemical structure twist on IMOX -- for no reason other than to NOT infringe on the Raptor registration. IMOX is labelled for industrial use at rates that would sterilize soil, but nobody in there right mind is going to use IMOX for that purpose because there are cheaper products. But, that's the way to get around all the regulatory requirements. You see it. I see it. Keystone sees it. Its the same thing as Raptor, but available in a size easier for us little guys to handle. Buy IMOX. Use Raptor rates - unless you want bare, industrial, moonscape areas.

Good info Dan, thanks.

I haven't researched Butyrac. What does THAT do ?? I'm familiar with cleth - kills grass in clover & alfalfa, etc.

I've used it for broadleaf weed control in my rye/CC/arrowleaf fall plots

Im sure you know this,but butyrac is 2,4 D-B NOT 2,4 D

2,4 D will "Schmoke" your clover!!!!!!

bill

My 2 cents Bill,

Personally dont like the chem base and site of action (raptor) expensive an lacks broad base control.
Rated it about worthless while an agronimist.

My 2 cents Bill,

Personally dont like the chem base and site of action (raptor) expensive an lacks broad base control.
Rated it about worthless while an agronimist.
Do tell more?

Thanks, Tree Daddy, for the explanation of the difference in post #10. :emoji_thumbsup:

Do tell more?

Believe the moa of raptor is an als inhibitor. Was one of the first chemicals used in the industry. Alot of species have developed resistance. There r very few chemicals we can use in established alfafa an raptor is one. Thing is if your only getting a 60 percent kill and spending over $20 an acre in chem, makes it a tuff sell. Then add on proper timing of application( ie size of weed being critical). Makes it even less attractive of an option for the self applicator with limited time frames.

Believe the moa of raptor is an als inhibitor. Was one of the first chemicals used in the industry. Alot of species have developed resistance. There r very few chemicals we can use in established alfafa an raptor is one. Thing is if your only getting a 60 percent kill and spending over $20 an acre in chem, makes it a tuff sell. Then add on proper timing of application( ie size of weed being critical). Makes it even less attractive of an option for the self applicator with limited time frames.
So you still like cleth and 24db better? Raptor/Imox for me for smartweed. That stuff kills me!

So you still like cleth and 24db better? Raptor/Imox for me for smartweed. That stuff kills me!

That’s the one I like. I’ve got one plot that gets eaten up with smart weed.

If you need any more, I can send you some smartweed seed that grows plant that are over 5 feet tall:

T7deTvfh.jpg

If you need any more, I can send you some smartweed seed that grows plant that are over 5 feet tall:

Mow that crap once. It won’t grow more than 2” high again this year but it will still throw seed :emoji_rage:

A few years back, I tried Clearcast. It has the same active ingredient as Raptor but half the price. As I recall, there is something else in the formulation that is different and requires some kind of additive. I can't recall the details right now.

Here's a link to a thread where I shared some pictures and comments last summer about IMOX in my smartweed infested clover plots. Took some picture of the same last week and will post them on a day when it's closer to noon and not midnight. So far, its looking good. But, they don't call it smartweed because it's dumb.

http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php?threads/spraying-clover-this-late.4244/