If you had a bulldozer coming, what would you do?

Jim Timber

5 year old buck +
I'm about to start work on a timber sale and my forester informed me that I can have other work done while he's on-site. Sadly, my real need for a dozer will come after the logging is completed and the dozer will be there to make roads passable by semi and log decks prior to the start of harvesting trees.

So far the only tasks I have are filling in a depression that's causing some erosion issues, and putting a crown on my driveway to control water coming down the hill.

I might see if they can push out my pistol pit, but I've been thinking that's a job for an excavator/big end loader rather than a dozer since it'll be dug out of a slope and not built on a flat.

I would pop out some stumps and roots in my yard. Those stupid roots chew up my mower blades now and then. If I ever get to buy the 40 behind me I’ve already mapped out in my head where I want to put in a trail system connecting my trails and where I want to open of new plots. Maybe scrape out a water hole or two.

A small pond would be one of my projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

consider any water holes, perimeter access roads you may need/want, creek/ditch crossings and kill plots cleared, or even long shooting lanes in the timber.

For me it would be trails and another waterhole.

My wife would be bringing my lunch & dinner out tome on the dozer for about 3 weeks in a row ... stump removal, land contour, water holes, rock removls, a 8' berm along 2 different road sides ...

Oh a berm sounds nice....

I may end up renting one once the loggers clear out, but for now this is a pretty dense stand of merchandise, so running roughshod over it prior to harvest is not a good move financially. ;)

I'm about to start work on a timber sale and my forester informed me that I can have other work done while he's on-site. Sadly, my real need for a dozer will come after the logging is completed and the dozer will be there to make roads passable by semi and log decks prior to the start of harvesting trees.

So far the only tasks I have are filling in a depression that's causing some erosion issues, and putting a crown on my driveway to control water coming down the hill.

I might see if they can push out my pistol pit, but I've been thinking that's a job for an excavator/big end loader rather than a dozer since it'll be dug out of a slope and not built on a flat.
I had a ramp added to the back of the area that I park my truck. I use that to drive my ATV up into the truck without ramps. It's just safer as I don't need ramps that can kick out when I'm there by myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
4b799eb90d511fdd6b655bbe25020b81.jpg

Last edited:
Unless they are small or very old a dozer is a poor choice for removing stumps. You will want an excavator for that, same with a small pond or water hole.

Unless they are small or very old a dozer is a poor choice for removing stumps. You will want an excavator for that, same with a small pond or water hole.

The biggest trees are probably 28" basswood in the whole job site (about 35 acres). Most are under 18" for oak and maple.

Excavator would leave a lot of craters, which would then be a pain to fill (even with the dozer blade on the excavator).

My forester said we might be able to have the skidders pop the stumps while they work, it just depends how much frost is in the ground when they do the job. Right now they're reporting about 10" and we're getting another cold snap this week.

The biggest trees are probably 28" basswood in the whole job site (about 35 acres). Most are under 18" for oak and maple.

Excavator would leave a lot of craters, which would then be a pain to fill (even with the dozer blade on the excavator).

My forester said we might be able to have the skidders pop the stumps while they work, it just depends how much frost is in the ground when they do the job. Right now they're reporting about 10" and we're getting another cold snap this week.
I had 35 acres done. I had a field put in that is just over an acre and they used an excavator to pop the stumps out during the logging (winter in NY) and then the dozer cleared them out in the spring when they cleaned up the roads and field.
02c4f35ac4105f1f3cd97eb44e8c1a0e.jpg
51b8c98d3e2546a92a53dd40f4727e07.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

All my slash is getting chipped and sold for $5 a ton.

For a pond would be #1 on the list.
No need to dig in my neighborhood. Just need to doze the right damn.

I would dig another pond...or two.

I'd probably exhaust my "take" on the logging if I put in the pond I want to. I also need to get rid of the trees on that ridge before I push it out into a bank. :emoji_smile:

I'll need a big excavator to finish my pond (it's 1/16 acre right now), and need to move everything out of that site once the logging is done since that's where I'm storing all my crap for the harvest. I'm not sure if that'll be done this summer or if it'll need to wait. Gotta pay some bills and see where the $$$ situation leaves me before doing anything major.